Bash coming to windows

spellmanuk

Now, im not a developer but i know there are a few in the community so id thought id share this news with you guys, Windows is getting the bash commands and natively im sure a lot of developers will be able to take advantage of them within windows as the do in mac os and linux what do you guys think?

also here's the source article http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/30/11331014/microsoft-windows-linux-ubuntu-bash

I lurk a lot

first, when clicking this i knew what the title meant, but my brain still thought this:

Bank-Bashing-in-Australia.jpg

--

that aside, i hope this may finally get the windows terminal to be somewhat usefull.

PS: powershell is shyte, i hope it burns in a fire.

Bash coming to Windows is huge news for developers, developers, developers

oh sht no...

now this "song" is stuck in my head D:

Spoiler

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Unify the systems!!! 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

2 minutes ago, Thecomputerman said:

I read e article but still don't know what "Bash" means?

its a type of script that can be run on a computer that essentially tells it what to do like a script for a movie tells the actors what to do i mean its a bit more complicated than that but thats the baiscs 

I lurk a lot

1 minute ago, RedWulf said:

Unify the systems!!! 

well you can now run ubuntu directly on top of windows 10 so were half way there 

I lurk a lot

7 minutes ago, Thecomputerman said:

Bash is a scripting language.

Also used as interface for linux terminals.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

6 minutes ago, peej said:

its a type of script that can be run on a computer that essentially tells it what to do like a script for a movie tells the actors what to do i mean its a bit more complicated than that but thats the baiscs 

So the Windows will now be powered by a sort of robot thing that tells it what to do ?

Just now, Thecomputerman said:

So the Windows will now be powered by a sort of robot thing that tells it what to do ?

no this is something 3rd party deveolpers can use for ther applications 

I lurk a lot

27 minutes ago, manikyath said:

first, when clicking this i knew what the title meant, but my brain still thought this:

Bank-Bashing-in-Australia.jpg

--

that aside, i hope this may finally get the windows terminal to be somewhat usefull.

PS: powershell is shyte, i hope it burns in a fire.

You have it all wrong.

Powershell is love, Powershell is life.

Literally the most useful tool for any type of Windows Server administration... Have a policy change for displaying names in exchange for your entire agency? no worries, 3 lines of code can achieve this... Need to do some integrity checking for mobile numbers in AD? 5 lines.

Powershell is a gift from the Winblows gods, learn it and you too will have a future in tech 

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Just now, BOT Edward said:

You have it all wrong.

Powershell is love, Powershell is life.

Literally the most useful tool for any type of Windows Server administration... Have a policy change for displaying names in exchange for your entire agency? no worries, 3 lines of code can achieve this... Need to do some integrity checking for mobile numbers in AD? 5 lines.

Powershell is a gift from the Winblows gods, learn it and you too will have a future in tech 

powershell scripts are literally the worst, most incoherent unreadable mess i have ever dealt with.

at least with visual basic for applications i could at least read the script and have any idea what it was doing.

--

if you truly believe powershell is good, you NEED bash in your life. indeed powershell does all those things, but for the love of god is it badly implemented...

i can do all you just mentioned in bash, without needing to read trough the manual first, because in bash the commands actually MAKE SOME FLIPPING SENSE.

can someone please tell me why the powershell designers had to replace "==" with something along the lines of "&equ"...

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

powershell scripts are literally the worst, most incoherent unreadable mess i have ever dealt with.

at least with visual basic for applications i could at least read the script and have any idea what it was doing.

--

if you truly believe powershell is good, you NEED bash in your life. indeed powershell does all those things, but for the love of god is it badly implemented...

i can do all you just mentioned in bash, without needing to read trough the manual first, because in bash the commands actually MAKE SOME FLIPPING SENSE.

can someone please tell me why the powershell designers had to replace "==" with something along the lines of "&equ"...

No way, using powershell API's in a windows server environment makes more sense. 

The only reason you would think it's unreadable is because it's a different language. VBA? Hell a child could read it and know what's happening because it's such a high level language, you can do the same with powershell as well if you have spent only a week learning it.

It's a simple scripting language that has a lot of benefits in a Windows Server environment when compared to BASH. For example configuring Microsofts System Centre suite, easily configured in powershell but using BASH you have to import a bunch of third party API's to do anything which is a complete way to trash any security you have put in place.

I agree BASH is great, but Powershell is equally great and is a lot more useful in a corporate windows environment.

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

1 minute ago, BOT Edward said:

No way, using powershell API's in a windows server environment makes more sense. 

The only reason you would think it's unreadable is because it's a different language. VBA? Hell a child could read it and know what's happening because it's such a high level language, you can do the same with powershell as well if you have spent only a week learning it.

It's a simple scripting language that has a lot of benefits in a Windows Server environment when compared to BASH. For example configuring Microsofts System Centre suite, easily configured in powershell but using BASH you have to import a bunch of third party API's to do anything which is a complete way to trash any security you have put in place.

I agree BASH is great, but Powershell is equally great and is a lot more useful in a corporate windows environment.

now imagine bash was implemented in windows in the same way as powershell is. the same possibilities, the same access.

which would you use? (PS: remoting into a box trough powershell still runs via an unencrypted telnet session, that alone makes me cringe all the way to my linux box)

1 minute ago, BOT Edward said:

this is the whole point of this you wont need any third part things to use bash anymore its going to be native as of the next update 

I lurk a lot

48 minutes ago, Thecomputerman said:

Bash is a UNIX shell.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

now imagine bash was implemented in windows in the same way as powershell is. the same possibilities, the same access.

which would you use? (PS: remoting into a box trough powershell still runs via an unencrypted telnet session, that alone makes me cringe all the way to my linux box)

If you are using powershell to remote into anything you are doing it wrong lol

Personally i would use powershell as I know the syntax like the back of my hand, however for BASH to be implemented into Windows based systems the way powershell is will take years and years because of backwards compatibility.

To put it simple, it's a good move for the future but that's all it is. Very little use current-gen software.

Really great news. Would have preferred if they went with Zsh but that would just have been the cherry on the top.

Got some questions though which I would like if someone could answer. Don't want to use the fast ring and didn't hear anything about it in the video.

1) How isolated/integrated are the GNU/Linux applications? For example if I install something using apt-get will it show up in Windows like a regular program (and then automatically run through the compatibility layer when double clicking the icon)? Or another example would be running WEBricks (like he demoed) from bash, would that show up as its own process in task manager? Can I do a kill command on explorer.exe from bash?

2) They mentioned that forks work. Forks works in Cygwin as well, but their implementation is a really dirty hack that is very slow. How is the performance right now in general? Is it close to native speed or is it considerably slower in some/all situations?

3) I can't help but feel that this will be another embrace, extend and extinguish tactic. (Not a question, I know).

4) Is their end goal to make Windows POSIX complaint or is this just focused on getting bash and some of the most common tools working? I mean, they killed off Interix with Windows 10 so is this suppose to replace it?

Just now, BOT Edward said:

If you are using powershell to remote into anything you are doing it wrong lol

Personally i would use powershell as I know the syntax like the back of my hand, however for BASH to be implemented into Windows based systems the way powershell is will take years and years because of backwards compatibility.

To put it simple, it's a good move for the future but that's all it is. Very little use current-gen software.

im pretty sure it will get jumped on by many people implementation wise as soon as they get there hands on it 

I lurk a lot

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

In my experience powershell is much better than cmd but if bash is even better than that then I'd obviously switch over to it. For the moment though all I need powershell to do is to run snippets of code every so often. So basically all I use is cd, ls, and py -3 (using an IDE for Java) As for bash, I guess the main experience I've had with it was when I sometimes use it to delete stuff from my server with the root account.

Neat addition.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Just now, ElfFriend said:

In my experience powershell is much better than cmd but if bash is even better than that then I'd obviously switch over to it. For the moment though all I need powershell to do is to run snippets of code every so often. So basically all I use is cd, ls, and py -3 (using an IDE for Java) As for bash, I guess the main experience I've had with it was when I sometimes use it to delete stuff from my server with the root account.

oh, cmd is a joke, its hilareous at this point. but the things linux can do trough simple bash scripts is amazing.

i just hope that they'll also implement some form of time based execution like cron jobs.

Just now, manikyath said:

oh, cmd is a joke, its hilareous at this point. but the things linux can do trough simple bash scripts is amazing.

i just hope that they'll also implement some form of time based execution like cron jobs.

If only Photoshop, Foobar2000, and at least 90% of my games worked on Linux...

1 minute ago, peej said:

im pretty sure it will get jumped on by many people implementation wise as soon as they get there hands on it 

That won't make MS put out patches and updates for things like Windows server 2008 or any older services.

new-gen software and services will have some implementation sure but older stuff that will still be in a lot of businesses won't have it.

2 minutes ago, ElfFriend said:

If only Photoshop, Foobar2000, and at least 90% of my games worked on Linux...

foobar actually works trough wine pretty dang well, linux audio drivers are hilareously bad compared to windows tho...