Looking for my first mechanical keyboard

Guest Zakb2809
Go to solution Solved by Guest Zakb2809,

I've ordered the masterkeys pro s and it should arrive on Saturday. Thanks for suggestions everyone.

I'm looking for a my first mechanical keyboard. I've done some research and decided that I want a tenkeyless design with Cherry MX Red switches as i am going to be using it for mainly gaming and occasional typing. I'm on a budget of about £100 or $140 Usd.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Aytex said:

K65 RGB

Thanks for the suggestion, I've been looking at some of the cooler master keyboards. Would you consider them as an option?

10 minutes ago, Aytex said:

If you want another alternative, check out the MK Disco,

they use gretech switches which some poeple think are better versions of cherry

I like the look of the keyboard, not a bad price either. But its gonna cost $50 to ship it over to the UK.

Just now, Zakb2809 said:

I like the look of the keyboard, not a bad price either. But its gonna cost $50 to ship it over to the UK.

oh, rip

Well, The Cooler master keyboards aren't that bad, good budget keyboards.

41 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Yea but build quality wise, the k65 is much better.

I don't agree, i would say the cooler master would be the same or better.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 minute ago, spwath said:

I don't agree, i would say the cooler master would be the same or better.

Ok, well then how do you think it is better?

My reasons are

Build quality Aluminum>Plastic

Both cherry so I guess that is both

Media Controls>none

RGB>solid color

Wrist rest>no rest

4 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Ok, well then how do you think it is better?

My reasons are

Build quality Aluminum>Plastic

Both cherry so I guess that is both

Media Controls>none

RGB>solid color

Wrist rest>no rest

Only top plate is aluminum, the rest is cheap plastic. Cm uses better plastic.

Media controlls, useful, but I'm talking about quality of the keyboard, so this is irrelevant.

Rgb, same as above.

Wrist wrest is too small to be used with proper Posture.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

The Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro s releases over here next week so I may get that. It's got everything I need, Cherry Mx reds, tenkeyless design and rgb lighting. All for £90.

Whereas the K65 may be a better keyboard in terms of features it is a full £30 more for a keyboard withe the same switch. The plastic build quality doesn't bother me, neither do the media controls. If I need a wrist rest I'll buy one but I don't think I do.

Just now, spwath said:

Media controlls, useful, but I'm talking about quality of the keyboard, so this is irrelevant.

Rgb, same as above.

I'd rather have some aluminum than none

makes it look more expensive :)

1 hour ago, Aytex said:

Yea but build quality wise, the k65 is much better.

What the hell are you doing with your keyboard? And why would you even spend money on Aluminium that has no advantage at all.
Apart from that the CM Storm keyboards are very robust and I think they also look much better, cause they don't look like a cheap 'gamery' toy.
You're spending all your money on shit you don't need:

• Why do you need dedicated media control buttons, when you can integrate them in the keyboard and safe space?
  • Why do you need RGB? I haven't touched the RGB feature of my mouse once.
  • What's the advantage of having an aluminium backplate? Are you running around in a moshpit with your keyboard?
  • Wrist rests have a large disadvantage: It takes up space and you're paying for something you might not actually need.

2 hours ago, Senzelian said:

What the hell are you doing with your keyboard? And why would you even spend money on Aluminium that has no advantage at all.
Apart from that the CM Storm keyboards are very robust and I think they also look much better, cause they don't look like a cheap 'gamery' toy.

• Why do you need dedicated media control buttons, when you can integrate them in the keyboard and safe space?
  • What's the advantage of having an aluminium backplate? Are you running around in a moshpit with your keyboard?
  • Wrist rests have a large disadvantage: It takes up space and you're paying for something you might not actually need.

These are all your opinions on what you like on your keyboard....

And those are all mine.

I like the aluminum because it looks better than plastic

Im pretty sure theres a hella alot of people here who own Coreair K65/70/95 series

If I seemed too aggressive into making OP buy the k65, i understand, I really like it and i was trying to reccomened it.

But opinions are opinions, everyone differentiates from each other

3 hours ago, Senzelian said:

I use the dedicated media controls on my g710+ daily, its a must have for me. Having these as function modifiers in the f key row is not even close to a solution, especially as these keyboards often don't include a fn-lock key, but some people would rather save money and do without (mouse buttons bound to volume control is an awesome solution). The CM keyboards are perfectly good, but basic and simple. If you want a nicer design, more included features and better usability, spend more on the Corsair models, simple as that. Keyboards are a very personal choice, we should be providing OP with plenty of options to investigate rather than arguing.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

12 minutes ago, Aytex said:

These are all your opinions on what you like on your keyboard....

And those are all mine.

We all know that. No reason to point that out.

14 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Im pretty sure theres a hella alot of people here who own Coreair K65/70/95 series

And that's why everyone else should have one, too? I don't think so.

16 minutes ago, Aytex said:

If I seemed too aggressive into making OP buy the k65, i understand, I really like it and i was trying to reccomened it.

But opinions are opinions, everyone differentiates from each other

Yes you seemed too aggressive, so I was aggressive aswell.

1 minute ago, Rangaman42 said:

I use the dedicated media controls on my g710+ daily, its a must have for me. Having these as function modifiers in the f key row is not even close to a solution, especially as these keyboards often don't include a fn-lock key, but some people would rather save money and do without (mouse buttons bound to volume control is an awesome solution). The CM keyboards are perfectly good, but basic and simple. If you want a nicer design, more included features and better usability, spend more on the Corsair models, simple as that. Keyboards are a very personal choice, we should be providing OP with plenty of options to investigate rather than arguing.

You're a human - a creature of habit. You can type on a laser projected keyboard if you wanted to.
But a keyboard will not automatically get smaller when you're not using the media key buttons. Apart from that, the CM Storm keyboards have a FN-lock.

No, a Corsair keyboard does not have a nicer design. It does also not have more included features. And it is also not better usable. Those are all personal preferences.
A feature is only a feature if I actually use it and a volume control wheel is not useable for me.

I'm not giving OP plenty of choices, because I don't care. I'm here because I want to argue with someone else. So let me argue with him.
In the meantime you should be giving OP more options, but instead you're arguing with me, which conflicts with your own aim. You're not helping me, you're not helping OP, but you're only helping yourself. The same thing I do. You have the same ego as me.

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

. I'm here because I want to argue with someone else. So let me argue with him.
In the meantime you should be giving OP more options, but instead you're arguing with me, which conflicts with your own aim. You're not helping me, you're not helping OP, but you're only helping yourself. The same thing I do. You have the same ego as me.

lol

I've ordered the masterkeys pro s and it should arrive on Saturday. Thanks for suggestions everyone.

7 hours ago, Aytex said:

makes it look more expensive

If it was just looks then that'd be great, but in the end the price actually was affected so it doesn't just look more expensive. Aesthetic gain at a cost to finish the metal for display, also not very protective of the switches without the case.

I like how Razer are offering the new Blackwidow X with exposed switches, at a lower price than their keyboards that have protective case. 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

2 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

I like how Razer are offering the new Blackwidow X with exposed switches, at a lower price than their keyboards that have protective case. 

because corsair had no competitor with the k series that had similar aluminum frame

3 hours ago, Senzelian said:

I'm here because I want to argue with someone else. So let me argue with him.

It is pretty fun to rebel against ppl that are trying really hard to tell you what to like on the interwebs lol.

In the end the OP had to find the keyboard he wanted on his own and ignore any advice. There's a lesson somewhere in here, I just know it!

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

I guess I'm late, I'll still go at it.

I think the Corsair Strafe RGB (any switch) would be a fine option. I've never heard of the MasterKeys Pro S, and being too lazy to Google it. I'll just go out on a limb (preferably neither of my legs since one of them is still recovering from a bimalleolar fracture) and guess that it's a Cooler Master Keyboard.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

9 hours ago, spwath said:

Rgb, same as above.

I'll have to agree with @Aytex with the Corsair suggestion in general. Also Logitech is a fine option.

Certainly there are better options for wrist rest but I do think that it's a nice option to have and would improve the experience/feel with out having to find a decent wrist rest to help with posture of the wrist.

Though there are a vast majority of things that can be done to help prevent developing Carpal Tunnel or RSI, but basic steps such as using an included wrist rest (which may not be the most ergonomic thing in the world) but still is a step in sort of the right direction.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

5 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I'll have to agree with @Aytex with the Corsair suggestion in general. Also Logitech is a fine option.

Certainly there are better options for wrist rest but I do think that it's a nice option to have and would improve the experience/feel with out having to find a decent wrist rest to help with posture of the wrist.

Though there are a vast majority of things that can be done to help prevent developing Carpal Tunnel or RSI, but basic steps such as using an included wrist rest (which may not be the most ergonomic thing in the world) but still is a step in sort of the right direction.

A wrist wrest like that may actually increase carpal tunnel.