Boffins demo on-chip entanglement at macro scale - Spooky action at a (very short) distance

Ethnod

Ok so this is way way over my head but they did use works like Quantum computing, entanglement, quantum teleportation, superconducting microwave, quantum bus, resonators so it must me impressive stuff .... :D

Seriously, from what I can understand it seems an impressive breakthrough... potentially any way. The one really interesting bit for me was this "This would (in theory) allow entanglement to be created across fibre-optic distances rather than in the short distances demonstrated in this experiment" which I may be wrong but could potentially mean that there would be potential for Quantum entanglement across fibre optic networks which would mean that by the time that fibre optic networks are finally a proper infrastructure we could have a massive breakthrough and then be able to push massive amounts of data through fibre networks again. Couple that with noise cancelling tech and some of the other breakthroughs we could be looking at an interesting and bright future.

Source:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/17/qld_uni_boffins_demo_onchip_entanglement_at_macro_scale/

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I want to point out something. Enabling Quantum Entaglement over a Fiber Optic wire would give you, effectively, infinite bandwidth. 

Whatever is done on one side, is replicated instantaneously on the other (effectively what quantum entaglement causes). 

The only thing that would slow you down is how fast the action can be done. So if I were to write a program to an HDD, the limiting factor would be the write speed. For an SSD, it's write speed, and so on. 

Think of Quantum Entaglement like RAID 1, but for physical objects in space. Then imagine having instantaneous RAID 1 with a drive on the other side of the world over Fiber. 

That is basically what it could possibly allow. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Infinite bandwidth? I'm listening :P

Let's say I have a 5TB HDD that is 100% full and you have a 5TB HDD that is 0% full, and you want a copy of mine.

If the HDD's become entangled, depending on which is the starting "source", one will instantaneously replicate the other. So if mine is the source, you get everything I have as yours copies mine, exactly.

And if yours is the source, I get everything you have, which is nothing. My HDD would effectively be wiped clean.

However, unless it allows entanglement on that scale (doubtful), it will be limited by write speeds.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Let's say I have a 5TB HDD that is 100% full and you have a 5TB HDD that is 0% full, and you want a copy of mine.

If the HDD's become entangled, depending on which is the starting "source", one will instantaneously replicate the other. So if mine is the source, you get everything I have as yours copies mine, exactly.

And if yours is the source, I get everything you have, which is nothing. My HDD would effectively be wiped clean.

However, unless it allows entanglement on that scale (doubtful), it will be limited by write speeds.

Except this is incorrect.

So devices attached are the bottleneck dependent on how fast they can operate pretty much?

Yep. Pretty much. 

It just depends. If the limitations is at the Ethernet port (which connects to the fiber), it will be 1Gb or whatever ports are then. 

If the limitations is at the storage medium, it will be however slow an SSD, SSHD, or HDD can read/write. 

Etc.

Except this is incorrect.

As far as I understand it (which is not much beyond the concept), entaglement effectively means that one physical object reflects the properties of another physical object, regardless of distance apart.

If two electrons are entagled, and one is destroyed, the other is destroyed. If one is moved, the other is moved exactly the same way.

Based on that, it would effectively work as I said it would. So how is it incorrect? Unless I misunderstand what entaglement effectively means for a physical object.

† Christian Member †

Yep. Pretty much. 

It just depends. If the limitations is at the Ethernet port (which connects to the fiber), it will be 1Gb or whatever ports are then. 

If the limitations is at the storage medium, it will be however slow an SSD, SSHD, or HDD can read/write. 

Etc.

No. Not at all.

As far as I understand it (which is not much beyond the concept), entaglement effectively means that one physical object reflects the properties of another physical object, regardless of distance apart.

If two electrons are entagled, and one is destroyed, the other is destroyed. If one is moved, the other is moved exactly the same way.

Based on that, it would effectively work as I said it would. So how is it incorrect? Unless I misunderstand what entaglement effectively means for a physical object.

It is true to say that there is some correspondence between two entangled entities, regardless of separation. It is not correct that entangled if one of a pair of entangled electrons is destroyed the other is also. It is not correct that if one is moved the other is moved the same way.

So devices attached are the bottleneck dependent on how fast they can operate pretty much?

There will always be a bottleneck somewhere. But to be honest, with encoding the way it is going now a days and read and write speeds increasing at the rates they are, if web access was unlimited in speed and bandwidth ..... I'd be very happy  :D

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

It is true to say that there is some correspondence between two entangled entities, regardless of separation. It is not correct that entangled if one of a pair of entangled electrons is destroyed the other is also. It is not correct that if one is moved the other is moved the same way.

Define "some correspondence".

Nevermind. I am reading a paper regarding this subject and understand what you mean now. 

Everyone, ignore what I said before. It would be cool, but it is wrong. 

† Christian Member †

I'm afraid I can't. Or at least, not with some understandable analogy; it is something that is unique to the nature of a tensor product space which is not intuitive. Entanglement has no classical analogue, it is not possible to gain a good conceptual overview without diving into the maths I'm afraid :).

Edit:

Nevermind. I am reading a paper regarding this subject and understand what you mean now. 

Everyone, ignore what I said before. It would be cool, but it is wrong. 

If you are really interested I can recommended Cohen-Tannoudji as an excellent introductory text to quantum mechanics, or if you're just interested in entanglement as it relates to information theory etc. then Quantum Information by Stephen M Barnett is a good read :).