CS GO Scammed ! (600$)

StutteringMachine

Hey guys ! I am really new to gaming. I got myself a new laptop a few weeks ago and I started playing some CS:GO. I heard it is a fun/addicting game and it really is. I've soon found myself opening cases and I got lucky and opened a karambit doppler knife which is right now worth on steam market around 600$. Well I was really exited until some day I got approached by this random stranger who was interested in my knife. He told me that I can choose any skin on website called OPSkins and that he will buy it and trade it to me. But because he got scammed a lot by other people he requested that I got first (he even showed me 400$ on that website so I believed him). I was really stupid and I thought he is just a nice guy so I gave him my knife first. I was waiting for around 5 min thinking that he would buy the skins and then trade them to me. But that never happened he just removed me from friends list and blocked me. I found out a few weeks ago that the guy who scammed me lives in Croatia (I also live in Croatia) and that he made in the past year over 15000$ with scamming. That is a ton of money and in Croatia scamming is punishable and you can get jailed up to 1 year or even more. So I don't know what to do I thought I would report him to the police but because this is a virtual item I don't think police is going to do anything about it... I've reported him to steam, sent them screenshots of our conversation and a screenshot of his profile. Do you guys have any suggestions on what should I do ?

Thanks and sorry for the stupid question ! 

People should really think more when they do trades with items worth a lot.. Always do a trade, you never, ever give them your item without them giving you their stuff. That's quite a common scam that he got you with. Since Valve no longer compensates people after getting scammed, there's literally nothing you can do. He's probably already traded it a few times so that you won't be able to find it. Sorry.

I used to be quite active here.

The police might actually do something about it. Best way to fix it is to find out who he is IRL if u can and contact close family members(that usually does the trick). Other wise just wait for steam support answers but be wary that the buyer always should go first in trading, not the seller. I hope that u get ur knife back and im really jealous of u man. Or atleast were!

Just now, bobadas said:

The police might actually do something about it. Best way to fix it is to find out who he is IRL if u can and contact close family members(that usually does the trick). Other wise just wait for steam support answers but be wary that the buyer always should go first in trading, not the seller. I hope that u get ur knife back and im really jealous of u man. Or atleast were!

yea i fucking doubt it

lol

On 3/23/2016 at 10:18 PM, Kobathor said:

People should really think more when they do stuff like this.. Always do a trade, you never, ever give them your item without them giving you their stuff. That's quite a common scam that he got you with. Since Valve no longer compensates people after getting scammed, there's literally nothing you can do. He's probably already traded it a few times so that you won't be able to find it.

WOW really nothing ? Yeah I guess if I go to police the whole city is going to laugh at me. But you said that this is a very common scam. Do you know any other methods of scamming so I can watch out for them in the future.

Well, you probably should not have been so trusting.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Aytex said:

yea i fucking doubt it

lol

No seriously dude. If u can find personal information about him and report it as a crime they really can do something about it but theres a very low chance. its just better to take the matter into ur own hands

On 3/23/2016 at 10:19 PM, bobadas said:

I don't know man since many people on the internet told me right now that they wen't to police and they just got mocked by them ! :/

Just now, bobadas said:

No seriously dude. If u can find personal information about him and report it as a crime they really can do something about it but theres a very low chance. its just better to take the matter into ur own hands

Low chance...

Thats the point lol

i've been scammed before i just accepted the face and moved on

4 minutes ago, StutteringMachine said:

WOW really nothing ? Yeah I guess if I go to police the whole city is going to laugh at me. But you said that this is a very common scam. Do you know any other methods of scamming so I can watch out for them in the future.

Don't trust people. Ever. The only trades you should do are normal trades, as in a steam trade offer, you put your item in, he puts his item in, then you both click "accept" and the trade occurs. That's it. Don't sell items for PayPal money, use a site like OPSkins which uses fake currency and you can exchange it for PayPal money. One of the most common scams is the middle-man scam: they tell you to trade it to their "friend" so that they know that "they can trust you." That's 100% a scam. PayPal is only acceptable if they use a donation, since donations can not be refunded.

The police will not do anything. There is no way to find out in real life who scammed you, and there's no legitimate proof to say that they did scam you. There's nothing they can do.

2 minutes ago, StutteringMachine said:

Dont click on links that look weird. If ur trading a item for a another item make sure its the exakt right item (the wear on the gun and if its stattrack or not). NEVER EVER trade through paypal since they can just withdraw the money and yeah just always tripple check ur trades(most common scam). 

Just now, Kobathor said:

Don't trust people. Ever. The only trades you should do are normal trades, as in a steam trade offer, you put your item in, he puts his item in, then you both click "accept" and the trade occurs. That's it. Don't sell items for PayPal money, use a site like OPSkins which uses fake currency and you can exchange it for PayPal money. One of the most common scams is the middle-man scam: they tell you to trade it to their "friend" so that they know that "they can trust you." That's 100% a scam. PayPal is only acceptable if they use a donation, since donations can not be refunded.

The police will not do anything. There is no way to find out in real life who scammed you, and there's no legitimate proof to say that they did scam you. There's nothing they can do.

unless you recorded it,

i have and i still have the recording lol

but whats the point, it wasn't even my knife, my friend gave me a $300 knife so i didn't lose anything in the end

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Low chance...

Thats the point lol

i've been scammed before i just accepted the face and moved on

I've gotten 2 scammers give back my items. Just by finding out personal information about them and threating to alert to police. And also by calling the relatives/parents of that person

Just now, bobadas said:

I've gotten 2 scammers give back my items. Just by finding out personal information about them and threating to alert to police. And also by calling the relatives/parents of that person

lmao

Not sure if i should laugh or cringe at how gullible someone can be, to get screwed over like this.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

since you gave him the knife,out of your will(couse thats what happened here) you gave it for promised candy,the guy is legit

Just now, Aytex said:

unless you recorded it,

i have and i still have it lol

You can record it all you want, but in the end CS:GO items have no real value, and you can't prove that the person associated with the count was the one that conducted the scam. In reality- you aren't gonna get him in jail, no matter what you do. There have already been scams recorded and uploaded to YouTube, but nothing happens because of it.

2 minutes ago, bobadas said:

sure bro sure

Just now, Kobathor said:

You can record it all you want, but in the end CS:GO items have no real value, and you can't prove that the person associated with the count was the one that conducted the scam. In reality- you aren't gonna get him in jail, no matter what you do. There have already been scams recorded and uploaded to YouTube, but nothing happens because of it.

re-edited post

GUYS ! Me and my friend just found out some of his personal information. Well my friend got scammed by him as well and his name is Ostoja Džemurčič and we found out his phone number and address what should we do ???? i can maybe get my knife back !!!!

2 minutes ago, StutteringMachine said:

GUYS ! Me and my friend just found out some of his personal information. Well my friend got scammed by him as well and his name is Ostoja Džemurčič and we found out his phone number and address what should we do ???? i can maybe get my knife back !!!!

Call/text him and threaten to call the police, maybe he'll get scared and give you the knife back. If he says no, then there's nothing that you can do, because:

6 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

in the end CS:GO items have no real value, and you can't prove that the person associated with the account was the one that conducted the scam. In reality- you aren't gonna get him in jail, no matter what you do.

So, if he doesn't give you the stuff back, realistically there's nothing you can do.

Why people use something other than the Steam market is beyond me.

Since you used something other than the Steam Marketplace, I don't think even Steam can help you at this point.

Do you have screenshots/evidence of the transaction, Steam profile, anything that you can use to make a legitimate claim?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

On 3/23/2016 at 10:33 PM, Kobathor said:

Call/text him and threaten to call the police, maybe he'll get scared and give you the knife back. If he says no, then there's nothing that you can do, because:

So, if he doesn't give you the stuff back, realistically there's nothing you can do.

Just called him and he picked up and said: "sorry bud but I don't know what are you talking about" and then he ended the call. I got video recordings of the scam and his profile. Maybe police can track down his IP or something. He made so much money doing the scamming he can probably get to jail right ???