When will android surpass apple [discussion]

Overkilled

Uhhh... I don't think they have yet.

Edit: Except for battery life. Get your shit together apple. That's the one thing keeping me from getting an iPhone.

20 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

NVMe controller in the 6s and 3D force touch?

Yet they still can't add SD card support. *facepalms*

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

9 hours ago, s3ns3 said:

remember me pls who brought touch id to phones first? and now it comes native with android? and i hear next version of android,which u will not get,or get after 1 year,has reply messages from notifications,like iOS. and maybe in the future releases it will have support for force touch

Motorola Atrix was the first phone released with a biometric fingerprint scanner.

It was released in 2011, two years before Apple released the iPhone5s, the first iPhone with a biometric fingerprint scanner.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

4 hours ago, Overkilled said:

From a specs point of view flagship Android phones surpassed the iPhone long long ago. Until quite recently no phone could really compete with apple. They tried with the one x but then HTC released the one m7

wtf,look at this chart http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apples-iPhone-6S-Plus-smashes-its-Android-competition-in-AnTuTus-2015-Top-10-chart_id77395

that is from this year so not '' long long time ago'' its pre- S7&G5. as you can see,it fkin blows everything out of the water. cant even touch it

and affter sd 820 http://www.antutu.com/en/view.shtml?id=8200 . it tops on 2 in antutu. and in real world usage iphone is faster. so what '' long long time ago'' are you dreaming?

i'm gonna say something that may be picked up as controversial here, so i'm gonna have to clarify my point of view:

i am an android user, but my first "smart" device was an ipod touch 4th gen, since that device bit the dust (long story with lots of frustration here) i have switched to android and honestly never looked back. i feel that for people like me android is the better choice, allowing the user to tinker, even before rooting/jailbreaking.

brings us to the other side: my grandparents just got an iPad, and even with senility hitting hard, they seem to be able to get very familiar with the device, very easily. it is as much of a search for me as it is for them becaue i've not used iOS since 4.2.1, but if you dont care about certain "advanced features" and just want a device to access the internet, send and receive email, and check the weather, it is truly an amazing experience.

--

conclusion:

android hasnt surpassed iOS (apple isnt an operating system, fix your schiit, OP) and never will.

these two (and windows phones, with all their cringe) live side by side, offering different experiences for different people.

one is not better than the other, they're different experiences, for different people.

just like barnacules loves his STI, and linus loves his "lambo", i may love the android experience, and someone else may love the iOS experience.

11 hours ago, Markmjb said:

Android hasn't in my opinion.

Talk hate about apple all you want, but that new touch thing they have is really nice. Its really ironic to praise Apple for adding Right-click though :P 

Android has too much older versions, and since updating isn't mandatory, it's a mess. The latest version of android might at some point be better than IOS in every way, but that doesn't account for all the crap that can't update to that version.

I'm using a nexus 6p with latest android, but managing files is just a big fuck you between windows 10 and the latest android, so since I have to use a ftp-server feature on a 3rd party app to transfer files to Filezilla at this point, you are asking me if I like Android phones on the wrong moment in time. 

Have you tried AirDroid for transferring files?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

i think lollipop was when android got pretty looking, which was the last thing it needed to check off so be better than ios. obviously a personal thing, but that was a very obvious difference between them for a while, ios looked more polished just because of the consistent visuals.

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Have you tried AirDroid for transferring files?

Thanks for the suggestion, appreciate it , but I'd prefer the weird concept of plugging a cable in my nexus and than plugging the other end in my computer and *poof* i can see my phone as a storage device. Not some other work-around ;)  

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

13 hours ago, Overkilled said:

At what point do you think Android phones became better than iPhones?

This question is so subjective.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

11 hours ago, Markmjb said:

I'm using a nexus 6p with latest android, but managing files is just a big fuck you between windows 10 and the latest android, so since I have to use a ftp-server feature on a 3rd party app to transfer files to Filezilla at this point, you are asking me if I like Android phones on the wrong moment in time. 

This is actually one of the things I love about Android. Using ES File Explorer I can just log into my Windows PC and access all my network shares, and transfer any files I want.

Android also deals with Music files a lot better, I never got on board with the fact with Apple products (the old iPod days) you couldn't use a normal folder / file structure for Music, and just drag and drop them onto your system. It was so refreshing moving to Android and having access to how it always should have worked.

22 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'm gonna say something that may be picked up as controversial here, so i'm gonna have to clarify my point of view:

i am an android user, but my first "smart" device was an ipod touch 4th gen, since that device bit the dust (long story with lots of frustration here) i have switched to android and honestly never looked back. i feel that for people like me android is the better choice, allowing the user to tinker, even before rooting/jailbreaking.

brings us to the other side: my grandparents just got an iPad, and even with senility hitting hard, they seem to be able to get very familiar with the device, very easily. it is as much of a search for me as it is for them becaue i've not used iOS since 4.2.1, but if you dont care about certain "advanced features" and just want a device to access the internet, send and receive email, and check the weather, it is truly an amazing experience.

--

conclusion:

android hasnt surpassed iOS (apple isnt an operating system, fix your schiit, OP) and never will.

these two (and windows phones, with all their cringe) live side by side, offering different experiences for different people.

one is not better than the other, they're different experiences, for different people.

just like barnacules loves his STI, and linus loves his "lambo", i may love the android experience, and someone else may love the iOS experience.

You know, I've come to this same conclusion long ago, and tried explaining it to so many other people, yet no one seems to understand that. On the iOS side, people don't seem to realize there ARE users out there that want to be able to customize their phones, and do all sorts of power user functions that iOS just can't match. On the Android side, most people don't seem to realize there ARE people out there that just want an overly simplistic device. I know that there are people out there like that, but I don't understand it for the life of me. lol. I digress, very well put, and I wish more people would read this, and understand it.

Just now, JoePro87 said:

You know, I've come to this same conclusion long ago, and tried explaining it to so many other people, yet no one seems to understand that. On the iOS side, people don't seem to realize there ARE users out there that want to be able to customize their phones, and do all sorts of power user functions that iOS just can't match. On the Android side, most people don't seem to realize there ARE people out there that just want an overly simplistic device. I know that there are people out there like that, but I don't understand it for the life of me. lol. I digress, very well put, and I wish more people would read this, and understand it.

I'm personally fine with using both Android and iOS - I enjoy using both.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

36 minutes ago, JoePro87 said:

Yet they still can't add SD card support. *facepalms*

What you meant to say is that they won't add SD card support. It would be nice, but is hardly necessary when you have the option of a 128GB model. 

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

I'm personally fine with using both Android and iOS - I enjoy using both.

That's another thing, there are people out there that can seamlessly flow between environments. I'm not one of them. lol. You put an iPhone in front of me, and it will infuriate me to the point where I'll most likely just smash it. But, to each their own. People just need to stop trying to say "which is better", because that argument will never be resolved. 

Just now, JoePro87 said:

People just need to stop trying to say "which is better", because that argument will never be resolved. 

The discussion is always more interesting than the answer :P 

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

1 minute ago, JoePro87 said:

thats pretty well put, although i want to change a few things: i wouldnt call iOS an overly simplistic device, its just they cut out a lot of the things some, especially less tech savvy, people dont care about. a good example is the "desktop" on android so to say (no idea what its actually called) where you can add widgets, put icons wherever you like, and can even adjust how many icons you want to put next to each other. i love making my device my own, but in the same way someone else may prefer their device to just have everything there without needing to put that time and effort in.

another example: we have a "family iPad" that both my parents have pretty much mastered, but they both also have an android phone which seems to be MUCH harder for them to pick up, even after i'd say two years my dad still cant get into the whole android experience properly, where my mom does somewhat manage, but still not quite as well.

1 minute ago, Belgarathian said:

What you meant to say is that they won't add SD card support. It would be nice, but is hardly necessary when you have the option of a 128GB model. 

You know, the Note 6 is *rumored* to have 256GB of internal storage, with up to 200GB external support. What you need to keep in mind though is that the majority of sales are the bottom end of the devices...the 16 and 32GB models. Well, used to be no one would ever use 16GB on a phone. Now, you put the essential apps on your phone, and it's full. That's why SD card support SHOULD be an option. But, I think we all know the reason Apple really WON'T add support....because they make more money if they force you to buy a model with larger internal storage.

3 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

i use my chinese tablet with external SD card slot to change OC setting on my raspberry pi. theres more to SD cards than just internal storage.

Just now, JoePro87 said:

That's another thing, there are people out there that can seamlessly flow between environments. I'm not one of them. lol. You put an iPhone in front of me, and it will infuriate me to the point where I'll most likely just smash it. But, to each their own. People just need to stop trying to say "which is better", because that argument will never be resolved. 

It cannot be resolved as it's a subjective discussion. I don't think one is inherently objectively better than the other, and that's why I don't like this thread.

"When did Android surpass Apple?"

That makes an assumption, and that is Android surpassed Apple. Did it? It's opinion, and the part of the post I quoted in this thread "At what point do you think Android phones became better than iPhones?" suffers from the same problem. It makes an assumption. Are they really better? How?(Just a generic question. Not targeted at you)

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

It cannot be resolved as it's a subjective discussion. I don't think one is inherently objectively better than the other, and that's why I don't like this thread.

"When did Android surpass Apple?"

That makes an assumption, and that is Android surpassed Apple. Did it? It's opinion, and the part of the post I quoted in this thread "At what point do you think Android phones became better than iPhones?" suffers from the same problem. It makes an assumption. Are they really better? How?(Just a generic question. Not targeted at you)

No, you're totally right. The title of the thread is completely misleading. When I first saw it, I thought OP was asking at what point the SALES of Android devices surpassed those of Apple devices, which, in my first comment, I said was sometime around Ice Cream Sandwich. It is a very misleading post, and OP should have worded it differently. 

1 minute ago, JoePro87 said:

You know, the Note 6 is *rumored* to have 256GB of internal storage, with up to 200GB external support. What you need to keep in mind though is that the majority of sales are the bottom end of the devices...the 16 and 32GB models. Well, used to be no one would ever use 16GB on a phone. Now, you put the essential apps on your phone, and it's full. That's why SD card support SHOULD be an option. But, I think we all know the reason Apple really WON'T add support....because they make more money if they force you to buy a model with larger internal storage.

SD Cards are also slower than the internal NVMe drive, which would compromise storage performance. SD cards are also a potential security issue. While we'll probably never know why Apple doesn't include SD card support, there are multiple reasons to consider. 

As for your second argument, if you chose a storage capacity that isn't sufficient for your needs... *clap, clap*

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i use my chinese tablet with external SD card slot to change OC setting on my raspberry pi. theres more to SD cards than just internal storage.

And if we'll all remember correctly, Apple is uncompromising on device security. 

Just now, Belgarathian said:

SD Cards are also slower than the internal NVMe drive, which would compromise storage performance. SD cards are also a potential security issue. While we'll probably never know why Apple doesn't include SD card support, there are multiple reasons to consider. 

As for your second argument, if you chose a storage capacity that isn't sufficient for your needs... *clap, clap*

Well, not everyone can AFFORD a 128GB model. That's my point. Some people have other priorities, like rent, or kids. And yes, of course external storage is slow. That's why you don't try to install all your apps on external, you use it for things like photo, music, and video storage. It's plenty fast enough for those purposes.

Just now, JoePro87 said:

Well, not everyone can AFFORD a 128GB model. That's my point. Some people have other priorities, like rent, or kids. And yes, of course external storage is slow. That's why you don't try to install all your apps on external, you use it for things like photo, music, and video storage. It's plenty fast enough for those purposes.

Yeap... So don't buy an iPhone. They're not supposed to be cheap. 

Just now, Belgarathian said:

Yeap... So don't buy an iPhone. They're not supposed to be cheap. 

Tell that to your 60 year old mom or dad that aren't tech savvy enough to use an Android.