What 1TB SSD should I buy?

Puma911

So I'm in the market for a 1TB SSD to replace my current 120gb 840 evo/ 2tb wd black setup. I'm so done with hard drives. I threw a 500gb

Kingston in my old laptop and it runs like a dream. I'm tired of the hdd noise. Anyway...

What is the best price for performance ssd currently on the market in the 1TB range?

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

mostlly for gaming. read speed and low price are priority

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/internal-hard-drive/#t=0&sort=a7&page=1&S=800000,10000000

Filter by vendors you are comfortable with and sort by $/GB. Generally most SSDs are at the point where they are super similar in performance and reliability barring patented technology (Samsung's V-NAND). Look at warranty and reputation of manu. Sandisk and Samsung are reliable brands.

850 evo

its not all about speed

reliability and consistency is also important

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

20 hours ago, psytherea said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/internal-hard-drive/#t=0&sort=a7&page=1&S=800000,10000000

Filter by vendors you are comfortable with and sort by $/GB. Generally most SSDs are at the point where they are super similar in performance and reliability barring patented technology (Samsung's V-NAND). Look at warranty and reputation of manu. Sandisk and Samsung are reliable brands.

I figured as much lol. They all perform about the same when push comes to shove, buuuuttt

Those 840s do look sexy and they aren't much more

Rest in peace, legend.

Same speed as 850, nicer design imo, a bit cheaper, 40gb less tho

23 minutes ago, Enderman said:

850 evo

its not all about speed

reliability and consistency is also important

Second. The OCZ Trion 100 is fast and dirt-cheap, going at $200 for a terabyte of storage, but 33% of Newegg reviews have a rating of 1/5 due to drive failure.

Don't put a 1000CC engine on a tricycle. Buy a car that won't fall apart.

Reliability and performance wise - Samsung 850 Evo.  Price?  Sandisk Ultra II.  Samsung you can't go wrong with, and Sandisk you can't if you shell out for their top of the line series - their Ultra line has had some hiccups and issues as well as failure rates.  Another option is Mushkin's Reactor 1TB drive.  Mushkin is damn reliable, they bin everything they possible can and their service / support is phenomenal.  One of the best American companies.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Second. The OCZ Trion 100 is fast and dirt-cheap, going at $200 for a terabyte of storage, but 33% of Newegg reviews have a rating of 1/5 due to drive failure.

Don't put a 1000CC engine on a tricycle. Buy a car that won't fall apart.

OCZ does however have an excellent support team and their policy on their ShieldPlus warranties, often merits them paying for your shipping, or they will even upgrade a drive.  I know some people who had a drive fail at 240gb and they upgraded them to a Vector 180 with 480gb for the trouble.

3 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Mushkin is damn reliable, they bin everything they possible can and their service / support is phenomenal.  One of the best American companies.

I second the Mushkin Reactor. It's cheap, it's reliable, and it's no slouch when it comes to speed.

Just now, Aereldor said:

I second the Mushkin Reactor. It's reliable, and it's no slouch when it comes to speed.

My personal plans are to get an OCZ, Mushkin, Crucial, or Samsung 1TB NVME drive and then wait for SATA prices to drop once Mushkin releases their 4TB for $500 Reactor drive.  NVME main drive, and then SATA III SSD mass storage.

2 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

My personal plans are to get an OCZ, Mushkin, Crucial, or Samsung 1TB NVME drive and then wait for SATA prices to drop once Mushkin releases their 4TB for $500 Reactor drive.  NVME main drive, and then SATA III SSD mass storage.

I'm saving up to pick up a Dell Inspiron 7559 when I visit the US. The $799 Amazon model has a 256 GB M.2 SSD which is probably from Sandisk. SSD prices will have dropped, so I'll fit in the best value per gigabyte I can find on an SSD and use it as a mass storage drive.