Beyerdynamic T70 Review: 399SGD, a steal?

Just incase anyone finds this from google, my review aint good, but this review is: http://headphone.guru/beyerdynamic-t70/

Before reading, i just wanna say i edited the post at the bottom after using these cans over a few months and i want you guys to consider the other drawbacks/goods of these headphones imho

I was growing sick with my C.O.P

Alright, this is actually my first review,lemme know if i did a good review :3 

lets get straight into business boys

PHOTOS:IMG_20160319_230427.jpgIMG_20160319_230213.jpgIMG_20160319_221507.jpg

Ok, My dac/amp .Its called GOVIBE MAGNUM. (this dac/amp really pair with the headphones very well.. got it for 110 sgd on the same day)

The one below, is the T70, and the white pair ontop is the C.O.P

A small mention about the DAC/AMP

The Dac is a GOVIBE MAGNUM

~ It has a Bass dial,to boost the bass,Its battery powered, can be charged, and it has Gains of 3 settings Low,Mid,High.

it has volume control as well.

BUILD QUALITY

The build quality is not bad, it isnt as flexible as the COP,where you can just flex it like crazy,the Headband is flexible compared to the rest of headphones,same metal build.. but its stiffer than the COP.

It feels premium due to the metallic look,and the overall metal build,they are strong too,

weight

The weight is decent,I dont feel the weight,its distributed well due to the nicely padded velour headband, i have a medium sized head, if that matters.

You can definitely know their there,but it doesnt feel heavy at all

clamping force is good,stays in my head,i tried shaking and it doesnt drop that easily and at the same time it doesnt squeeze my brains off, i just feel it *very lightly* pressing against my head.

For this price you should expect such build quality.. espescially from Beyerdynamic.

the ear pads are nice, i tried changing them using the beyer earpads to test, it dont work out well personally.. so ill stick with velour :D

Overall,the build quality is good,something you should expect from a higher priced headphone (ignoring my promotion)

comfort is superb,ill give it 9/10

Only criticism is that when i turn the earcups,it doesnt turn smoothly,something that is a issue in all beyerdynamic headphones, it wont be lying flat on the table like the M50X,something i would love to see one day,

Another criticism is..GODAMNIT MAN, I NEED DETACHABLE CABLE.

The troubles of not having a detachable cable is disastrous if you dont have a big house/if your a cable clean freak.

And if the cables break,its over bro.

I would also like to see a Y shape cable, where the headphones unplug both sides of the earcup,rather than running a connector from the left to the right (theres a small cable if you havent noticed)

It didnt happen to me, but if i break that cable inside,again its over bro.

AUDIO QUALITY

Highs:

Vocals are very clear

Superb,its Sparkly,i love it sparkly and its controlled such that theres no distortion, unless you blast it with a powerful amp, in that case you already break your ears but in all seriousness..

very very very clean,sparkly and clean, the crash does feel like a crash,the Boom is there, the excitement is there with the hi hat,it feels fast paced.

zero distortion at listening levels

Its very bright(but controlled such that it doesnt overpower the mids, it may be too bright for some people..

Listening to Bohemian Rhapsody, wow the crash is very satisfying,It seems to overpower the Higher Mid by a tiny weenie bit if you Boost it with the Amp(blast music)

The hi hat sounds snappy,sharp feel, blowing away my COP.

The snare is also very nice,playing it loud, some people will hate how sharp it sounds,your mileage may vary.. i like it sharp.

Mids:

Listening to michael jackson is very good with these, i can hear the lower and higher mid going very well together while not overpowering the highs and keeping a nice bass.

Not much specific emphasis on the lower or higher mids, but to suit my taste i bring up the bass dial in the Govibe and the lower mids start to show up a little more, and it sounds good for my taste then.

the mids are very detailed,it seems to overpower the bass a little bit,by really, very little.

honestly, theres nothing much to say about the mids, its just really detailed,crisp,not distorting,no specific emphasis and overall overpowers the bass a little.

Bass:

Without any dac/amp, it sounds punchy, it doesnt have the OOMPH feeling,it is honestly quite weak if your a basshead,but for people who just want the bass to be there, these seem enough

When paired with a amp/dac with a bass dial,dear lord does it sound good.

total eargasm,my ears had masturbation, thats how good it is,i am a little of a basshead.

They become Very punchy,the OOMPH comes in, and its strong ,

If you dial it all the way it may feel a little muddy and proccessed, but at that point its too much bass..

Overall sounding:

EDM: my goodness does it sound so good

the fun factor of these headphones came in, it sounded very upbeat and fast,while the COP(notorious for edm) sounds abit boring and blunt when compared to these.

these cans really adapt to the music very well, when its slowing down, it feels very calm....

When theres a build up, it really does the job superbly,because of the boosted bass from the dac, the OOMPH comes in.

MJ (tbh MJ song genre is abit hard to distinguish.. so i listed this as if its a genre itself)

The clarity of the Vocals are there,its strong,its clear and crisp.

Bass still there,sounds strong.

the Mids again, no specific emphasis.. sounds detailed and definitely enjoyable

Rock:

songs:

Smells like teen spirit

Bohemian Rhapsody

Its like when playing the EDM,but the guitar sounds very clean,doesnt sound distorted by any means..

jazz:

i listened to piano bar by spotify

Well the piano can sound very sharp, my only small criticism,if you play it loud, the piano when playing high pitch can  sound sharp for some,personally,its fine to mee,but its close to crossing the line of being too sharp,

Very smooth,like what jazz should sound!!!, and very relaxing feeling, not blunt and boring till i want to fall asleep.

overall, for 399SGD, what a F***ing steal these cans are.

your mileage may vary depending on your taste though

overall criticism

-without a small bass boost, it can sound a little weak to some people

-the highs may be too bright and sharp for some people to handle

-i just wished the cable was detachable...

-a little less sharp in the highs, and this headphones will be a superb to the mainstream taste.

-not much to mention about the presentation, its premium,i just wish there are extra earpads given.. thats all

Plus Points:

Superb Highs for my taste,crisp,sparkly yet in control

Mids are detailed, clean,no specific emphasis which can fit alot of tastes i assume

Bass is punchy, with a Dac/amp the OOMPH comes in and dayum it sounds amazing then

Feels premium like how its supposed to feel for the original price..

Good for the price,epic when you get it off amazon in a discount.. Really good

(edit)
Soundstage is decent for closed back headphones,not much comment from here

Hope you guys like my first and very detailed review..

For 399SGD + the DAC/AMP for a total of 519SGD, i think ive stepped up the audiophile ladder and my goodness, what a steal for the price.. destroyed my beyer COP,it blew my expectations out of the water.. (y)

[Edit]

If you listen to older music which may not be mastered perfectly like now, eg: Bohemian Rhapsody..

Then i would suggest avoiding this headphone at all costs, it can seriously ruin the experience

I would recommend you to try the DT series as well, they might have what you want from the T series and Bass, something many people need

And when i say theres no bass, theres really no bass, but electronic songs still sound bassy because.. electronic songs are freaking bassy as hell to start with

A very accurate review would be this:

http://headphone.guru/beyerdynamic-t70/

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

edit 509 SGD*

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Thats like standard price on Amazon after conversion. Its a 250ohm headphone so you need an amp for it anyway.

T70 was made to sound spacious like an open back but is actually closed.

In normal retail stores people will put original price,it usually always happens at least here in singapore,but yea,kudos to jaben for lowering the price though i do not know whether its meant to adapt to amazon..

12 minutes ago, Tenelia said:

I got my CIEMs for 425 SGD. Just saying. And if you want to do a review, look at http://rinchoi.blogspot.sg/

Alright,will try to improve from there,thanks for the suggestion ?

Thread moved to Members Reviews.

While I understand the title might be confusing(we have received multiple complaints about it), the Review portion of Tech News and Reviews is meant for reviews conducted by Anandtech, TechPowerUp, etc.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Update: Just for those who are wondering,these dont sound like the typical beyers.. and i really honestly hope that beyer keeps this trend of the sound signature.

Best songs to test this headphone with (after listening to tons of songs.. with these)

Keep in mind that the bass isnt gonna blow your hat off, unless you have a amp, and with these.. who wouldnt buy an amp -_-' (do keep in mind that these headphones get loud easily,but just sounds really bad without an amp)

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Bohemian Rhapsody

I want you back(Jackson 5,there you hear the nice separation)

Metalingus

Flashlight(for those pop lovers,and basically maroon 5)

Photograph