"Tablet Sales Projected To Pass PCs, Laptops In Late 2013"

TopWargamer

http://www.maximumpc.com/tablet_sales_projected_pass_pcs_laptops_late_2013

How keen are you on your tablet? Do you tend to use it more often than your PC or are you more of a hardcore desktop/laptop fan? If the IDC Worldwide Quarterly Smart Connected Device Tracker is to be believed, tablet shipments are set to surpass PC shipments in the fourth quarter of 2013. Tablets are selling like hotcakes.

According to the study, tablets will contribute 16.5 percent to the device market by 2017, while total PC sales are projected to drop to 13 percent. It's not as though there's any revenue to be lost here, though, as the "global smart connected device" (which ranges from PCs to tablets to smartphones) is a projected $622.4 billion, with $423.1 billion stemming from tablets and phones alone.

It's an ever-changing landscape as the rise of portable tech keeps going up and up. Desktops and laptops may be kings of productivity, but pocket tech is obviously wildly popular as well.

I'm actually kind of surprised by this. 

COMIC SANS

its not surprising at all because they can make 50$ tablets and you cant even get a pc until around for 400$ mark (including peripherals and monitor)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Tablets are cheaper than PC.

But, the problem is tablets can't do everything.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I'm not surprised at all, this is where the future has been heading all along. Why do you think Intel, AMD, Nvidia and everyone else have been pushing for low power hardware? It's a damn shame that the PC enthusiast market is too small to cater high performance parts to. Wouldn't be surprised if eventually anyone who wanted a powerful PC at home would have to use server parts.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

I'm not at all surprised by this. Tablets are on an upgrade cycle similar as phones, whereas most laptops and pcs outlast that cycle for various reasons.

Honestly I really use my tablet mostly for youtube. The browsing experience on a tablet is pointless to me because I only use it at home where I have my pc.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Eventually, tablets and ultrabook convertible laptops would become identical. Tablet hardware is catching up, and it's only a matter of time before the touch interface gets used for a wider range of applications. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Eventually, tablets and ultrabook convertible laptops would become identical. Tablet hardware is catching up, and it's only a matter of time before the touch interface gets used for a wider range of applications.

And I am one of the few who do not care for touch and would much prefer a keyboard and mouse(not a trackpad).

OT: Maybe if they actually step up laptop quality and decrease the price we wouldn't have these sort of projections. A Haswell i3 with a 1080p/1200p/1440p/1600p shouldn't be costing upwards of a $1,000, especially when you can get a tablet with a 1600p screen for cheap, even if it's just Android and a ARM CPU.

And I am one of the few who do not care for touch and would much prefer a keyboard and mouse(not a trackpad).

OT: Maybe if they actually step up laptop quality and decrease the price we wouldn't have these sort of projections. A Haswell i3 with a 1080p/1200p/1440p/1600p shouldn't be costing upwards of a $1,000, especially when you can get a tablet with a 1600p screen for cheap, even if it's just Android and a ARM CPU.

The point of any ultrabook convertible is that it's both a tablet and laptop, mixing the best of both worlds.

Touch interfaces aren't mature enough to replace mouse/keyboard just yet. Only niche areas like digital art take full advantage of it. Tablets are starting to use touch for photo and video editing too.

Touch input will be the future whether we like it or not.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I'm surprised by this. I still prefer a laptop for work. Tablets are more of entertainment deices than work.

Maybe sales. But there won't be more tablets in use then PC's for quite some time if ever. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

well tablets are cheap

there are many 50$ android tablets out there

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

not a surprise tablets are cheaper and families dont just buy one or 2 for the family like a pc everyone in the family gets one each.