Russian billionaire says his initiative will transfer a human mind into a robot within 30 years

No Nrg
4 hours ago, Enderman said:

-snip-

Good job, you just hurt the feelings of all christian followers. Our faith is strong, but our bodies are fragile. We will endure in the end, be it in this world or in the afterlife!

Groomlake Authority

I don't wanna be in a jar. I want my brain in an android body. 8 feet tall and ripped. -Rajj

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

8 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Good job, you just hurt the feelings of all christian followers. Our faith is strong, but our bodies are fragile. We will endure in the end, be it in this world or in the afterlife!

???

Why do I care?

A true Christian knows that everyone has the freedom to believe in what they want.

If my beliefs somehow make you feel like you need to reply to tell me "ive hurt your feelings" then you probably need to go to church more and be more accepting of other people's ideas, because I know many Christians which dont get "hurt feelings" from other people with different beliefs.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

-snip-

I dont care in what you believe and i know you feel like the same about me and the world. I believe in freedom of expression and the mind and i wasnt trying to incite anything. Its not my fault that you took it to your own feelings and actually interpetrated that as an offence or a way to try and correct your expression of global christianity opposure. The world has enough problems, so do i and you, so im pretty sure you didnt even have to try and say such things. Whatever you may think of this, i dont want to continue a ridiculous and never ending conversation about a debate that caused dozens of millions of deaths worlwide since the beginning of times. Oh and btw, i was trying to make a joke out of this, not an actual "repercussive response".

Groomlake Authority

Even if they could get this to work, it still won't be you. It will just be a simulation, a copy. But whatever floats the boat for the people who fear death.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Is there going to be an avatar of CGI blue people?

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Funny story , this will probably be like any other robot with integrated with pretty much solid preset responses to  , i'm sure it will act human & talk with a logic response (pre fed , meaning predictable after a while doing same things over & over), won't rationalize or think that far ahead , but i love to see where this is headed , atleast we're a step closer

Details separate people.

5 hours ago, stconquest said:

Consciousness is not a mystery.  How do you think you first started to be aware?  Your brain developed to the point it could grab information.  It gathered information using your five senses.  Gather, gather, gather.  Eventually you start to ask questions about that information and actively investigate life.  This is consciousness, the investigation.

this is not consciousness. The part which you have described is the part which can be modelled and coded into an ai program and made to behave just like us and made to learn and question just like us. But it still wouldn't feel consciousness. There is something going on in animals and humans in the brain which we have not nailed down yet.

OK. So what would keep the brain alive in this robotic body? Seeing as the brain needs oxygen to stay alive. It also needs fluids. Blood flow as well. Also the brain needs to be at certain temperatures. Too cold and it dies. Too hot and it dies. So not only does it need blood flow, but it has to be heated. You'll probably have to go through a lot of transfusions too. Unless they can make a functioning system that provides this, then it isn't going to happen. Then you also have to look at the fact that people who have transplants need to have anti-rejection drugs. So what's to keep that from happening in a robot system?

The consciousness issue raised above is also very relevant. Sorry, but humans are more than just meat sacks, despite you believing it to be different. I, personally, believe in a soul. Humans have tried to play god for a long time, and it never works well for them.

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

7 hours ago, Humbug said:

this is not consciousness. The part which you have described is the part which can be modelled and coded into an ai program and made to behave just like us and made to learn and question just like us. But it still wouldn't feel consciousness. There is something going on in animals and humans in the brain which we have not nailed down yet.

lol.  You miss the part of modeling it in a program that can effectively act like a human brain, that has the resources we do.  This is because we, as far as I know, can't yet.

So your answer is feel consciousness?  Something going on?  Come on.  Since you don't know, then maybe it is possible.  Just because you can't see how, does not mean someone else suffers the same fate.

I don't "feel" consciousness.  I feel chemical reactions and physical stresses.

So something like in this movie:

By that time im gonna be 60-70 (if still alive). I wouldnt mind a new younger body.

Future is beautiful in our heads, the actual real world will be so different by then. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

11 hours ago, Lethal Seraph said:

I don't wanna be in a jar. I want my brain in an android body. 8 feet tall and ripped. -Rajj

Change your name to Binks then make them put you in jar that will be in another jar. Done .. you can troll people now :D

While this sounds good... the risks are high. This is the same problem as with teleporation .. will it be you or just copy of you? I would rather augement my self than risk creating copy of me and me dying instead.

15 hours ago, Ramamataz said:

Spiritual and ethical questions?

Yeah, I think ethical problems stopped this kind of thing a while ago. But because this guy is a Russian Billionaire he can do what he wants. 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

It reminds me of "Ghost in the Shell". If one's mind can be uploaded to a machine, it can be hacked and wiped.

If your mind has been hacked, is it still you? Can you be held accountable for your action?

About freaking time. We need to focus as much of our resources as possible, on space travel, and immortality.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

would be funny if some day you are like meh i want a new body this one is boring. but then you CTRL+C instead of CTRL+X. now there is 2 of you who gets all your stuff/family/spouse?  

FutureTimeline.net (great site by the way) predicts that the final step from the OP picture really wouldn't be commonplace until 2120, I'll be long dead by then. Keep in mind this site is purely hypothetical based on current advances in tech. Talks about hitting legislative hurdles I'm sure a technology like this would have:

http://www.futuretimeline.net/22ndcentury/2100-2149.htm#minduploading

Mind uploading enters mainstream society

Adequate hardware to support human-level intelligence was available as far back as the 2020s, thanks to the exponential progress of Moore's Law.* This made it possible to form simulations of neural processes.*

However, the underlying software foundation required for mind uploading proved to be a vastly greater challenge. Full transfer of human consciousness into artificial substrates posed enormous technical difficulties, in addition to raising ethical and philosophical issues.

The sheer complexity of the brain, and its inherent fragility – along with the many legislative barriers that stood in the way – meant that it was nearly a century before such technology reached the mainstream.

Some breakthroughs occurred in the latter decades of the 21st century, with partial transfer of memories and thought patterns, allowing some limited experience of the mind uploading process. However, it was only through the emergence of Pico technology and strong AI that sufficiently detailed scanning methods became available. This new generation of machines, being orders of magnitude faster and more robust, finally bridged the gap between organic human brains and their synthetic equivalents.

Initially tested on monkeys, the procedure was eventually offered to certain marginalized people including death row inmates and terminally ill patients. Once it could be demonstrated as being safe and reversible, the project garnered a steady stream of free and healthy volunteers, tempted by this new form of computerized immortality.

Years of red tape and legislation followed, including some of the strictest regulations ever enacted into law. Religious and conservative groups voiced their objections to what they saw as a fundamental violation of God's will. At times, this threatened to postpone the technology indefinitely. Eventually though, like so many other breakthroughs in science, the zeitgeist moved on. The level of demand for mind uploading proved to be enormous, and the treatment was made commercially available in the 2120s.

Today, citizens have access to special clinics in which their biological brains can be literally discarded in favor of artificial ones. Rather than simply "duplicating" a mind, the machine physically shifts the consciousness, like a sponge soaking up water. The brain is gradually replaced – piece by piece – so the original personality remains intact during the transition. This vital aspect of the procedure assuages the fear which many have of losing their identity.

For the wealthiest individuals, entire new bodies can be grown, into which the synthetic brains can be transplanted. These bodies may themselves be artificial, with options for partially cyborg or fully robotic replacements. Externally, they are often indistinguishable from real human bodies, but include many hi-tech add-ons and internal features boosting physical and mental abilities.

Not everyone is opting for these types of treatments, however. A significant percentage view them with extreme suspicion, as though somehow immoral and dehumanizing. With each passing year, society is becoming increasingly fractured, with an ever-widening divide between those who seek to enhance themselves, and those who prefer to eschew such technology.

mind uploading software humans artificial brain computer 22nd century future technology singularity immortality

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

To be honest i'd proberly go for it if i was given the chance. I have some quite bad joints and are eating morphine 3 times a day to be able to function a tiny bit, and i'd love to be able to "work" proberly again, despite the moral questions raised...

Would it be considered murder if i transferred my "self" to a robot and then killed off my old body?