unconfirmed - Intel in talks with AMD over GPU patents

zMeul

source: http://seekingalpha.com/news/3168017-bloomberg-intel-talks-amd-license-gpu-patents

I'm having a hard time finding the original source of this claim, Bloomberg .. presumably

Bloomberg reports Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) is in talks with AMD to license its smaller rival's GPU patents.

The report comes with Intel's cross-licensing deal with Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA) due to expire in Q1 2017.

is Intel searching, again, cross-licensing deals to enter the discrete graphics market? it's possible, they have the know-how, the technology and the manufacturing required for such an endeavor

but then again, they could just seek licences to refresh their iGPUs

---

a bit of clarification, since a lot of people jumped to conclusions

here's the nVidia - Intel cross license agreement: http://investor.nvidia.com/secfiling.cfm?filingid=1193125-11-5134&cik=1045810

it states that Intel and nVidia have granted each other all patents that are either owned or controlled by each party that have filing date on or before March 31 2017

with this stipulation: nVidia will not be granted licences to: microprocessors, chipsets and flash memory

this cross licence is valid until each individual patent covered under this deal will expire, or otherwise teminated

the above cross licence agreement is a direct result of the suit filed against nVidia by Intel, in 2009 - Intel was seeking declaratory and injunctive relief relating to a license agreement that the parties signed in 2004

31 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

AMD should go through with it, but only if Intel agrees to stop bribing software and game devs to limit usage on PC to 4 threads.

The consoles have 8 cores. Its stinking obvious.

Why would they do that? Intel makes cpu's with >4 cores too. Not to mention that intel has hyperthreading which is exclusive and as such, anything more than a dual core + hyperthreading would be able to use more than 4 threads. I think that the 4 thread limitation is mainly due to games being gpu bound rather than cpu bound and as such, enabling more cores/threads would achieve almost nothing. 

Whatever Intel is cooking, I hope it's to fight against Nvidia. We need a 3rd man on GPU race.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Just now, Lethal Seraph said:

Whatever Intel is cooking, I hope it's to fight against Nvidia. We need a 3rd man on GPU race.

whatever Intel is cooking they'll also fight AMD

and from all 3, AMD is the lowest in market share

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

whatever Intel is cooking they'll also fight AMD

and from all 3, AMD is the lowest in market share

A double-edged sword indeed. It could destroy them but same time present a leverage that can flourish what little AMD patents want to keep.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 

4 minutes ago, Lethal Seraph said:

You really think they would stand a chance against Nvidia in GPU market? They should have one hell of a team of gpu experts to do that and since they never made a gpu that is any better than the lowest tier nvidia gpu I doubt they have the people and the know how to actually be competitive to Nvidia. Not that i would not like to see another player in GPU market but i doubt they ll go for that. It is like saying Nvidia is going to compete against Intel in CPU market...everyone would laugh because there is just no way that could happen anytime soon.....sad but true

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

2 minutes ago, TristanK said:

You really think they would stand a chance against Nvidia in GPU market? They should have one hell of a team of gpu experts to do that and since they never made a gpu that is any better than the lowest tier nvidia gpu I doubt they have the people and the know how to actually be competitive to Nvidia. Not that i would not like to see another player in GPU market but i doubt they ll go for that. It is like saying Nvidia is going to compete against Intel in CPU market...everyone would laugh because there is just no way that could happen anytime soon.....sad but true

seems you haven't heard of Larrabee - even when Intel gave the job to some idiots cropping up a GPU on their knees, they still managed to scare nVidia

actually the only good way to compete against Nvidia in my oppinion is to merge AMD and Intel together and get a supercompany and than we would get even more awesome CPU's because they would join forces and better GPU's for the same reason.....but bad side of that is knowing Intel would now have no competition at all in CPU market and that would suck big time

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

Just now, zMeul said:

seems you haven't heard of Larrabee - even when Intel gave the job to some idiots cropping up a GPU on their knees, they still managed to scare nVidia

I actually haven't heard of that...but still they haven't made much to show that they could be competitive to Nvidia in GPU market...Perhaps I m wrong...those re just my thoughts

Specs: 

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, TristanK said:

-snip-

True, there's not really a whole lot of incentive for Intel to get into gpu race. But to think a company valued at $150b can't compete to someone valued to a fraction of that is bonkers.

7 minutes ago, TristanK said:

I actually haven't heard of that...but still they haven't made much to show that they could be competitive to Nvidia in GPU market...Perhaps I m wrong...those re just my thoughts

Larrabee grew up to be Xeon-Phi ;)

isn't unthinkable that Intel could re-engineer the Xeon-Phi back into a GPU

To me it does look like this is to ensure continuation of being able to make integrated GPUs.

GPUs tend to be easily scalable. More units, more power. As a thought exercise, I wonder how would a hypothetical intel GPU perform if you took their integrated cores and scaled up the quantity comparable to the higher end from red/green, and gave it a good dose of dedicated vram? A possible way to do this is look at Broadwell/Crystalwell performance against a comparable APU, then compare that APU with higher end. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Considering the way Ati/AMD/Radeon Technologies has been in the past, hopefully this shouldn't turn out like the Nvidia debacle where Nvidia bitched and moaned.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

If this was to happen, I'd imagine AMD requiring more than a little compensation. I'd think that AMD would try to make this deal in their favor especially considering who's knocking on their door asking for a deal that they absolutely need. 

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

AMD should go through with it, but only if Intel agrees to stop bribing software and game devs to limit usage on PC to 4 threads.

Most modern games uses more. The Division for instance easily uses 8 threads.

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

source: http://seekingalpha.com/news/3168017-bloomberg-intel-talks-amd-license-gpu-patents

I'm having a hard time finding the original source of this claim, Bloomberg .. presumably

is Intel searching, again, cross-licensing deals to enter the discrete graphics market? it's possible, they have the know-how, the technology and the manufacturing required for such an endeavor

but then again, they could just seek licences to refresh their iGPUs

This seems very odd. GPU is the biggest "cash cow" (if you could say AMD has a such). Allowing Intel into this area makes little sense, especially if Intel is going to focus on the professional/server market.

However considering most GPU's on the market are intel integrated, I see why AMD would want a piece of the pie. However one of the biggest reasons why ZEN would be a great competitor, is the fact that it has superior graphics. Both in gaming, but also things like HDR support, proper driver support, etc.

I understand AMD would like a steady income, but it's also one that might eat away a great pro in their upcoming ZEN processors. That would be a bad move.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 hours ago, Jon Trollston said:

Why would they do that? Intel makes cpu's with >4 cores too. Not to mention that intel has hyperthreading which is exclusive and as such, anything more than a dual core + hyperthreading would be able to use more than 4 threads

Eh, no. Hyperthreading only helps with highly repetitive or predictable workloads (static rendering of video/ 3D/ audio, compression and decompression, database sorting etc.) and as such the only game technique it will actually help with is Generation 1 tesselation (back when tesselation was done by CPU and not GPU) which is extinct already. (Battlefield 3, The Secret World and Crysis 2 + 3 had it)

People who bought a 4-core i7 for gaming only wasted $100 to lower their OC range.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

10 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Eh, no. Hyperthreading only helps with highly repetitive or predictable workloads (static rendering of video/ 3D/ audio, compression and decompression, database sorting etc.) and as such the only game technique it will actually help with is Generation 1 tesselation (back when tesselation was done by CPU and not GPU) which is extinct already. (Battlefield 3, The Secret World and Crysis 2 + 3 had it)

People who bought a 4-core i7 for gaming only wasted $100 to lower their OC range.

right, so the only difference between an i5 and an i7 is the core count? No. 

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

and what idiots they were. Internal politics and insults being thrown left and right.

http://vrworld.com/2009/10/12/an-inconvenient-truth-intel-larrabee-story-revealed/

"the group in Braunschweig, Germany are seriously a bunch of dip-shits with undeserved chips on their shoulder! It’s really a corrupt corporate culture in this office."

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

Larrabee grew up to be Xeon-Phi ;)

isn't unthinkable that Intel could re-engineer the Xeon-Phi back into a GPU

But the Xeon-Phi is a Co-Processor, and requires a special compiler in order for code to be run on them.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

17 minutes ago, Jon Trollston said:

right, so the only difference between an i5 and an i7 is the core count? No. 

Cache, Graphics and logical core count.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, Notional said:

Most modern games uses more. The Division for instance easily uses 8 threads.

To be fair, the Snowdrop engine is really well optimized.

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Bribing? Please tell me you don't actually believe this. Intel (co)invented easy multithreading all the way back in 1999 and then released it as an open standard called OpenMP. No one in the world has pushed multicore programming as hard as Intel. However, the software ecosystem has not evolved much faster than a snail's pace, so Intel sells the hardware which best suits it since its main business is in selling hardware. It won't wound future sales the way AMD did to itself by releasing 8-core chips way before the ecosystem is ready for them to be cheap. That said, the tools exist for game devs to easily create software that scales to an infinite core count. The fact they don't use these tools should infuriate everyone. Blaming Intel is just asinine.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

55 minutes ago, LucidMew said:

and what idiots they were. Internal politics and insults being thrown left and right.

http://vrworld.com/2009/10/12/an-inconvenient-truth-intel-larrabee-story-revealed/

But the Xeon-Phi is a Co-Processor, and requires a special compiler in order for code to be run on them.

I wouldn't call GCC or Clang special. Microsoft (and Portland Group) is the only one behind in the big 4 (5).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

39 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Cache, Graphics and logical core count.

Exactly. That's my point. 

1 hour ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

No, it helps with highly varied workloads. If your parallelized workload just uses the same ALUs across all 4 main threads and the hyperthreads, you gain no extra performance. Depending on your program hierarchy and how often threads are generated, you may in fact lose performance to a significant degree.

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

If this was to happen, I'd imagine AMD requiring more than a little compensation. I'd think that AMD would try to make this deal in their favor especially considering who's knocking on their door asking for a deal that they absolutely need. 

Intel doesn't absolutely need it. It just reduces time to market by a good degree. If Zen or Polaris is a flop, AMD could collapse in bankruptcy in 2019 due to a complete lack of cash to pay off its debt held to JP Morgan (even excluding the big chunk Intel holds since it had to co-finance the ATI buyout). In that event, Intel would be the one to buy up the graphics IP.