I have a GTX 970 should i get a second one or get a 980TI

Hello I'm going to be upgrading my PC and want to know if I should get another 970 or buy a 980it 

980ti by itself will perform better than 970s in SLI, trust me

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

1 minute ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Wait for the new GPUs from AMD and Nvidia

both will probably be a little too expensive given it looks like the OP has a budget

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

GTX 980 Ti, single is better than SLI

GTX 970 in SLI is (can) be faster ....  but in the real world you only see this result in synthetic workloads . SLI is not really well supported and to avoid more power consumption and SLI troubles and gain more VRAM, for maybe a better monitor setup and some more juice for the future take the GTX 980 TI.

#itscrazyhowoftenweanswerthis

well, can you flip the 970 to make up for the price of the 980ti over a 970?

if you cant flip it for any decent value, sli 970 will be more cost effective.

4 minutes ago, verydogesuchwow said:

both will probably be a little too expensive given it looks like the OP has a budget

By the time the GPUs launch, he will have saved more money. Also, I don't think that the 1080(Don't know the name TBH) will be more expensive than the 980ti

The 980ti has got the same amount of performance as 2x 970 but you don't deal with SLI scaling and issues. So get a single 980ti. It's always best to get the single most powerful card compared to the SLI/CFX alternative.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

28 minutes ago, verydogesuchwow said:

I wouldn't consider someone looking at a 980Ti as having a budget that would put a next gen card outside of it.  The 980Ti has only dropped $20 from its launch price, I highly doubt the launch price of the flagship Polaris or Pascal cards would be significantly higher.

R9 5900X | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | ASUS Crosshair VIII DarkHero | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 | 2x 1TB WD Black SN850 | Lian Li O11D-XL | Corsair AX1200i

43 minutes ago, verydogesuchwow said:

Naah,waiting is still a win 

The price of the 980ti will fall even further 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M ||