Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

Just now, JoePro87 said:

I need it now.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

why would you want one

new GPUs are about to be released from AMD and nvidia on completely new architectures which will be more power efficient, run cooler, quieter, and perform better

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

why would you want one

new GPUs are about to be released from AMD and nvidia on completely new architectures which will be more power efficient, run cooler, quieter, and perform better

I want one cause it is cool beans, yo.

I bought a 295x2 about the time fury came out. Just because there are new cards doesn't mean the old ones are obsolete. But you are right, with new cards coming out I wouldn't pay full price for it.

holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, want

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

3 minutes ago, Necrodead said:

I want one cause it is cool beans, yo.

I bought a 295x2 about the time fury came out. Just because there are new cards doesn't mean the old ones are obsolete. But you are right, with new cards coming out I wouldn't pay full price for it.

$1500 is stupid, you could get three used 980tis for that price or two pascal/polaris cards

this is a product for AMD fanboys, or the 0.000001% of the population who has $1500 to spend on a GPU for their mITX build

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

this is now the current best preforming single card. thats why. haha:) i'm just wondering how its cooled? the picture shows no fan, and the one in the system doesn't have WC tubes.

1 minute ago, Beeeyeee said:

this is now the current best preforming single card. thats why. haha:) i'm just wondering how its cooled? the picture shows no fan, and the one in the system doesn't have WC tubes.

The tubes are hidden, if you look closely you can see them. 

R9 5900X | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | ASUS Crosshair VIII DarkHero | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 | 2x 1TB WD Black SN850 | Lian Li O11D-XL | Corsair AX1200i

Just now, Necrodead said:

Nope, different card, different core, even different kind of VRAM.

But probs not moar vram

I've noticed that AMD comes out with a flagship card and it's usually dual gpu at a low price. R9 390X2 is around $700AUD keeping in mind that the R9 390 is around $500-$600

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

$1500 is stupid, you could get three used 980tis for that price or two pascal/polaris cards

this is a product for AMD fanboys, or the 0.000001% of the population who has $1500 to spend on a GPU for their mITX build

or you can get a used fury x2 for the price of 1 and 1/2 980 tis so whats your point?

After reading that article and thinking about the price to performance ratio, it seems that you're better off with the R9 390X2

4 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

But probs not moar vram

No, but the cores on a 390 are slower than the fury, and the extra vram is needed on the 390 because it is slower than the vram on a fury by about 50%.

2 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

After reading that article and thinking about the price to performance ratio, it seems that you're better off with the R9 390X2

Thats always the case, the top card is usually way way more than the next card down for only a little more performance.

I think that article refers to the R9 Fury X2. And they're saying that it's not worth it

11 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

or you can get a used fury x2 for the price of 1 and 1/2 980 tis so whats your point?

how are you going to get a used fury x2 if it hasnt even been released yet

a new one costs $1500 and performs worse than two 980tis or two pascal/polaris GPUs

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

But probs not moar vram

It has 8GB of HBM....so...when you consider it is HBM, not GDDR5, that is a huge thing to consider.

Also, for everyone else...I could never afford to spend $1,500 on a GPU....which is why I asked someoneto buy me one! :D

Note: No, I don't really want anyone to buy me one, I just wanted to share the article. I do hope Linus reviews it though!

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

First of all, neithe AMD nor Anandtech claims that this is a regular graphics card. The main reason being, and i believe this reason is why we haven't seen it earlier, is because 4GB of Vram is simply not enough for this level of ''core power''. AMD can defend themselves from consumers coupling two Fury X and struggling with VRam usage. They cannot defend themselves if they themselves are coupling two cards at the factory and selling them as regular graphics cards. Which is also why i think AMD have been strict about what companies like Asus, Saphire and MSI can do with the Fury cards.

AMD is marketing it as a VR content creation card.

The HBM1 technology is simply not fit for crossfire. AMD made the right move with the technology in my opinion. They took the most powerful core they could, and coupled it with the HBM memory. If the core had been noteworthy more powerful, users would experience Vram issues. If the core was weaker and less expensive, the money spent on the memory would be to large of a portion of the card as a whole.

There is a reason why the 980 has 4GB, and the 980Ti has 6GB. Some of it comes down to ''more memory chips = wider buss = higher performance'', but it's also part making the card SLI capable without having the VRAM bottleneck the core.

My opinion... the card is fairly useless, and has no real to exist, be it in the past or in the future. The limitations of HBM1 memory is simply too much. And even if marketed as a VR content creation card, you can just as easily just buy two Fury X or wait a few weeks and get two Pascal or Polaris cards.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

3 hours ago, Beeeyeee said:

Picture showing the internal of the GPU's cooling.

This is from WCCFTechs article http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-pro-duo-announced-worlds-fastest-graphics-card-16-teraflops-compute/

12754895_10100130663806049_1250771139_o.jpg

Funny if Nvidia released a "Titan Z" variation for double the price... same thing will happen just like last time haha.

295x2 and Titan Z still going strong though, probably this year or the next year we see single flagship GPUs take down both 295x2 and Titan Z.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_390_Nitro/23.html

8 hours ago, Enderman said:

how are you going to get a used fury x2 if it hasnt even been released yet

a new one costs $1500 and performs worse than two 980tis or two pascal/polaris GPUs

you can wait until there are used units. and what if someone has space restraints and cant get two gpus. also when the titan z released it was at a insanely high price point with only 60% faster performance than a single titan while costing 300% more and people seemed to think its completely fine

1 hour ago, ybriK said:

Funny if Nvidia released a "Titan Z" variation for double the price... same thing will happen just like last time haha.

295x2 and Titan Z still going strong though, probably this year or the next year we see single flagship GPUs take down both 295x2 and Titan Z.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_390_Nitro/23.html

titan z was triple the price with only 60% performance increase. this is 230% cost increase with about 200% performance increase and there are people with space restraints 

9 hours ago, Enderman said:

Wait, you can find used 980tis for $500?