newly built PC turns off after 5-10mins!!!HELP!!

shane_mamba24

Hi guys,
I just built a PC(specs below)and as i turn it on and try to install windows through a bootable USB,it shows the windows logo for 5mins and then shuts down...Please help guys...i really need help with this!

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7 3770 lga1155
CPU COOLER: intel lga775 stock heatsink (as the mobo has support for lga775 n lga1155 fans)
MOTHERBOARD: Asrock H61M-VG4 
RAM: PQI 8gb dual channel
GRAPHICS CARD: Asus Radeon r7 240
HDD: 500gb WD Green+500gb Seagate Barracuda 
PSU: Eton 500 W power supply.
CASE: Aerocool Aero500 Window

could be faulty mobo? is everything new or did you buy used?

I'd be willing to bet its that absolute shit PSU. Even if it's not, you should replace it ASAP before it brings down the rest of your build. Also, why did you get an R7 240?

Could be a bad heat sink mount, it would have to be really bad if it's overheating while just installing the OS.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

I'd be willing to bet its that absolute shit PSU. Even if it's not, you should replace it ASAP before it brings down the rest of your build. Also, why did you get an R7 240?

yup, that's what i was just thinking. im 90% sure it's psu.

9 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Could be a bad heat sink mount, it would have to be really bad if it's overheating while just installing the OS.

Could also be tightness of heatsink, I've had this before from overtightening, and it booted and everything just things... really f'd up after a short period of time.

I would recommend try reseating your heatsink, given if its a standard intel clip design it can't really overtighten (shouldn't beable to), but reseating it and inspecting theres no debris in the pins causing faulty contacts.

Few other trials; 

Try leaving it in the bios screen for extended amount of time, see if it crashes there, since it won't be loading the CPU unlike when your trying to boot windows off a Stick.  Though loading issue could be both the PSU and CPU

14 minutes ago, shane_mamba24 said:

CPU COOLER: intel lga775 stock heatsink (as the mobo has support for lga775 n lga1155 fans)

HDD: 500gb WD Green+500gb Seagate Barracuda 
PSU: Eton 500 W power supply.

Is an LGA 775 cooler beefy enough to take the heat from a core i7 3770? It's possible that it's either mounted improperly or simply doesn't have the horses to keep your CPU cool, and it's overheating during the install process. Keep the case open, and after it shuts down, if you find the CPU fan actually spins, check for heat around it. If you can feel it immediately, the cooler's the issue.

It's also possible that your power supply is failing as soon as your computer gets up to anything, as that looks a lot like a royal piece of junk. It's not likely that the system eats 500 watts of power while installing windows, but that power supply could blow up at any moment and take the rest of your system with it. Do you really want to do that?

Also, have you tried installing it on both hard drives? It's possible that one of them isn't quite alright. It does look like you've bought used parts for this build, which only increases the risk of one of the drives failing on you or behaving erratically.

This should be my first question, but are you using a genuine copy of Windows? 

15 minutes ago, shane_mamba24 said:

have none of you ever considered faulty boot device?

its not normal for a windows screen to stay for 5 minute anyway

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

have none of you ever considered faulty boot device?

its not normal for a windows screen to stay for 5 minute anyway

all the more reason for faulty processor contacts etc, depends where its hanging, I haven't heard of the windows USB sticks failing, providing the OP is using the little mini windows 10 ones

1 minute ago, Neokolzia said:

all the more reason for faulty processor contacts etc, depends where its hanging, I haven't heard of the windows USB sticks failing, providing the OP is using the little mini windows 10 ones

given the info's we have, it could be anything really. all the possibilites named in this thread.

5 minutes ago, Neokolzia said:

perhaps a corrupted usb installation drive :I

i dont think if the processor contacts is faulty it would go as far as loading the windows screen, it would refuse to display anything outright lol

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Working down the list of what could be the easiest to fix:

-Reseat the CPU cooler, easy enough to do and costs nothing. Should take about 2 minutes (if that).

-Check the CPU contacts, and check the pins in the socket to confirm that none are bent or broken.

-Try a different USB device (assuming you made the boot drive and have another stick lying around).

-Try a different PSU, I'm assuming that you don't have one just lying about to test which is why this is at the bottom. If your board has integrated graphics then you could also remove the GPU to take more load off of the supply (unplug everything you don't need while you are at it).

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

2 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Working down the list of what could be the easiest to fix:

-Reseat the CPU cooler, easy enough to do and costs nothing. Should take about 2 minutes (if that).

-Check the CPU contacts, and check the pins in the socket to confirm that none are bent or broken.

-Try a different USB device (assuming you made the boot drive and have another stick lying around).

-Try a different PSU, I'm assuming that you don't have one just lying about to test which is why this is at the bottom. If your board has integrated graphics then you could also remove the GPU to take more load off of the supply (unplug everything you don't need while you are at it).

+1