All Videos Posted by LMG Should Have Topics

xnamkcor

I've noticed that some videos, like AFAP, don't get topics in "Linus Official".

Is it that there is a human that makes the topics and they just forget? Or is there some kind of reasoning for not having forum topics for discussing certain videos?

Yes there is a human, it's called nicklmg :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

This is a common misunderstanding. nicklmg is actually an AI prototype. 

Prototype? You think he's a prototype? HAH!

I think that they only make a topic if there is something to purchase. 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

This is a common misunderstanding. nicklmg is actually an AI prototype. 

That explains why he is called "Nick Light". He's actually the free version. Linus needs to just pay for the paid version of Nick Pro.

well the subforums IS called "LTT Official" not "Linus Official" or "LMG Official", so posting content that is not on the LTT would not make sense. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

well the subforums IS called "LTT Official" not "Linus Official" or "LMG Official", so posting content that is not on the LTT would not make sense. 

Then we should have a totally separate section for non LTT LMG things.

PS: No we should not, that would be stupid and a waste of space on the page.

PPS: It would be extremely awkward if the subtitle for "LTT Official" was something like "All things Linus".

17 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

I've noticed that some videos, like AFAP, don't get topics in "Linus Official".

Is it that there is a human that makes the topics and they just forget? Or is there some kind of reasoning for not having forum topics for discussing certain videos?

the linus oficials is only the main channel's content.
not like much discussion goes on there anyway, exept to point out the mistakes imo

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

4 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

the linus oficials is only the main channel's content.
not like much discussion goes on there anyway, exept to point out the mistakes imo

We're talking about a forum based on text with a unfathomable amount of space for various topics and discussions that already has a mass of "Off-Topic" threads. Having a way to discus all LMG videos instead of just select ones that just happen to be on the "Main Channel" is simply a matter of Nick_AI_Light(Free Version Please Register) making a topic for those videos..

Maybe we can get an official reason as to why they do it like they do

@nicklmg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

11 minutes ago, AlexTheRose said:

I surely wouldn’t want to hear about his cats or his children lol, no offense to the man he probably does a great job with some of the rather intelligent discourse I’ve witnessed between Yvonne and him. But yeah

I see what you did there. But no, we have a clear delineation of what would be included. All videos uploaded on LMG channels.

As far as I understand it, the reason that it doesn't exist is that it would create more work for Nick, and not really have much benefit. It would be a place to discuss things, but the original post wouldn't have any purchase links or anything like that, so it would just be an enhanced version of YouTube comments (which isn't a bad thing, but it isn't exactly necessary).

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

As far as I understand it, the reason that it doesn't exist is that it would create more work for Nick, and not really have much benefit. It would be a place to discuss things, but the original post wouldn't have any purchase links or anything like that, so it would just be an enhanced version of YouTube comments (which isn't a bad thing, but it isn't exactly necessary).

ah, so that's why some get topics: for the purchase links!  It all makes sense now :)

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

ah, so that's why some get topics: for the purchase links!  It all makes sense now :)

Well no, all LTT videos (and no videos on any other channel) get a topic, whether there is anything to purchase or not. Just that, as far as I know, part of the reason that LTT videos get a thread is that most of them can contain purchase or sponsor links.

Note: I am not an authoritative source of this information, so take it with a pinch of salt.

HTTP/2 203

11 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Should be simple enough for an AI like Nick to do.

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

More work for little benefit is part of it. I doubt many Tech Quickie threads would get more than 10 comments tbh... Plus the comments section over there on YouTube is usually much more civilized than it is on LTT.

The main reason is that the linustechtips forum has, historically, been a hub for linustechtips content and general hardware discussion (hence the URL and the name of the whole darn thing). Though all three channels are managed by our company, they each have separate identities and (to some degree) followings. This isn't the Linus Media Group forum, it's the Linus Tech Tips forum.

With that said, a few months back we did start displaying the latest video from each channel on the homepage, so the lines have been blurred a bit... But I don't think they have been blurred enough to warrant a new section for each channel on the linustechtips forum, nor have they been blurred enough to warrant topics for every video from all 3 channels under "LTT Official."

1 hour ago, xnamkcor said:

PPS: It would be extremely awkward if the subtitle for "LTT Official" was something like "All things Linus".

The subtitles here are pretty meangingless (though often funny). I guess if you wanted everything to be perfectly accurate we could change it to "All things LTT," but at that point you're pretty much just dealing in semantics. (And, to be fair, at this point Linus isn't even the primary host on TQ and CSF, so "all things Linus" wouldn't necessarily capture those two channels.) Plus then we would have to change the awesome air and water cooling subtitles (air cooling is "woosh" and liquid/exotic cooling is "sploosh, crack") to something much more boring.

For me, it's all about inputs vs outputs. It's worth it to me to provide a thread for (generally) reasonable discussion about LTT videos as trying to have a reasonable conversation in the LTT YouTube comments is often about as effective as... well, I'll skip the "less than politically correct" comparisons and just say that if you've ever tried, you know it's pretty pointless.

And if we just wanted to have a pricing link as accessible as possible we would put it in the video description - to me the main part of "pricing & discussion" is the discussion, and on TQ and CSF the discussion element of the comments section is a lot more reasonable.

TL;DR this community forum is based around LTT which is a "separate entity" from TQ and CSF, the comments sections on those other two channels (while nowhere near perfect) are much more manageable/livable than the comments section on LTT is, and honestly this is the first time I can remember seeing a thread about this, which should give you an idea of how much general interest there is in this actually happening.

19 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

More work for little benefit is part of it. I doubt many Tech Quickie threads would get more than 10 comments tbh... Plus the comments section over there on YouTube is usually much more civilized than it is on LTT.

The main reason is that the linustechtips forum has, historically, been a hub for linustechtips content and general hardware discussion (hence the URL and the name of the whole darn thing). Though all three channels are managed by our company, they each have separate identities and (to some degree) followings. This isn't the Linus Media Group forum, it's the Linus Tech Tips forum.

With that said, a few months back we did start displaying the latest video from each channel on the homepage, so the lines have been blurred a bit... But I don't think they have been blurred enough to warrant a new section for each channel on the linustechtips forum, nor have they been blurred enough to warrant topics for every video from all 3 channels under "LTT Official."

The subtitles here are pretty meangingless (though often funny). I guess if you wanted everything to be perfectly accurate we could change it to "All things LTT," but at that point you're pretty much just dealing in semantics. (And, to be fair, at this point Linus isn't even the primary host on TQ and CSF, so "all things Linus" wouldn't necessarily capture those two channels.) Plus then we would have to change the awesome air and water cooling subtitles (air cooling is "woosh" and liquid/exotic cooling is "sploosh, crack") to something much more boring.

For me, it's all about inputs vs outputs. It's worth it to me to provide a thread for (generally) reasonable discussion about LTT videos as trying to have a reasonable conversation in the LTT YouTube comments is often about as effective as... well, I'll skip the "less than politically correct" comparisons and just say that if you've ever tried, you know it's pretty pointless.

And if we just wanted to have a pricing link as accessible as possible we would put it in the video description - to me the main part of "pricing & discussion" is the discussion, and on TQ and CSF the discussion element of the comments section is a lot more reasonable.

TL;DR this community forum is based around LTT which is a "separate entity" from TQ and CSF, the comments sections on those other two channels (while nowhere near perfect) are much more manageable/livable than the comments section on LTT is, and honestly this is the first time I can remember seeing a thread about this, which should give you an idea of how much general interest there is in this actually happening.

I remember the XSEED forums used to have a section for Legend of the Heroes: Trails In the Sky section, and the subtitle was ""Legend of the Heros: TiTS Jokes Go Here".

19 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

I agree with you this should be kept a Tech forums not a forums with a bunch a topics posted by nick about were to buy a dick shaped cake or a giant connect 4 game. and the same with TQ videos if you make a thread for everyone what would the thread consist of? a wikipedia article that Linus learned the stuff from, if someone wants to discuss a Tq video they can make their own thread. 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

8 minutes ago, FatPenguin said:

I agree with you this should be kept a Tech forums not a forums with a bunch a topics posted by nick about were to buy a dick shaped cake or a giant connect 4 game. and the same with TQ videos if you make a thread for everyone what would the thread consist of? a wikipedia article that Linus learned the stuff from, if someone wants to discuss a Tq video they can make their own thread. 

You know there is a "Off-Topic" section of this forum that specifically says it's for "non-tech", right?

1 minute ago, xnamkcor said:

You know there is a "Off-Topic" section of this forum that specifically says it's for "non-tech", right?

Yeah, and if people want to discuss a TQ video they should do it there

2 minutes ago, FatPenguin said:

Yeah, and if people want to discuss a TQ video they should do it there

Are there threads set up there? Who is in charge of that?

8 minutes ago, xnamkcor said:

Are there threads set up there? Who is in charge of that?

If you want to open a thread to specifically discuss a Tech Quickie topic in off-topic, as far as I know, that's totally fine, though @colonel_mortis can correct me if I'm wrong as he is much more well-versed in the ins and outs of the LTT forums than I am.

3 hours ago, AlexTheRose said:

I surely wouldn’t want to hear about his cats or his children lol, no offense to the man he probably does a great job with some of the rather intelligent discourse I’ve witnessed between Yvonne and him. But yeah

link me to their talk

Hello 

do you guys know any good cooler or liquid cooler ?

thank you