Gtx 980 with an fx 8350 ?

Midnitewarrior4
Go to solution Solved by Marcus Torre DeProspero,

yeah if he had a fx 6300 than its questionable

My friend has an fx 8350,  and wants to get triple 1080p monitors and buy a 980 to replace his 960, will his cpu be powerful enough to handle the 980 ?

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

12 minutes ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

yeah if he had a fx 6300 than its questionable

not much difference in the fx lineup doesn't properly utilize more than 4 cores unless you're running background apps

Just now, Sky Daddy said:

not much difference in the fx lineup doesn't properly utilize more than 4 cores unless you're running background apps

huh?

The 8350 will suffice for a 3 way monitor setup. The 980 might bog a little but not by much. Most games right now doesn't utilize all the cores in the 8 core chips. Hell not even quad core chips.  The battlefield series is only games I can think of off my head that uses all the cores in a quad core. DirectX12 is suppose to change all that. For the monitor setup if can afford it throw in another 980 and you will definently not have any issues.

Yea I tend to agree 3 monitors on 1 980 may struggle on certain games on certain settings but if your willing to put the time in an tinker around with these settings you could get away with it.

2 hours ago, Midnitewarrior4 said:

My friend has an fx 350,  and wants to get triple 1080p monitors and buy a 980 to replace his 960, will his cpu be powerful enough to handle the 980 ?

3 monitors will bring the GTX 980 close to it's knees in many games...i don't think the CPU will be the limiting factor at such high pixel count.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

3 monitors will bring the GTX 980 close to it's knees in many games...i don't think the CPU will be the limiting factor at such high pixel count.

God, I hate bringing this up, but you do know that the CPU load isn't offset by the GPU load at extreme resolutions... right?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

God, I hate bringing this up, but you do know that the CPU load isn't offset by the GPU load at extreme resolutions... right?

of course i do...and i do know that running triple 1080p monitors will bring a GTX 980 down in the 25 to 40FPS range depending on the game and that the FX-8350 can EASILY accommodate that.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

of course i do...and i do know that running triple 1080p monitors will bring a GTX 980 down in the 25 to 40FPS range depending on the game and that the FX-8350 can EASILY accommodate that.

Yes. 

It just sounded like you were saying that the CPU load would not be as hard as the GPU got hammered more.

Good lord, I need some sleep.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

8350 might be fine since the higher the res the lower the CPU dependency

however consider a r9 fury over the 980

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yes. 

It just sounded like you were saying that the CPU load would not be as hard as the GPU got hammered more.

Good lord, I need some sleep.

no, screen resolution and how much GPU horsepower you have under the hood...your CPU just does not care...it has to process the same instruction sets for the game engine.

2 hours ago, thekeemo said:

8350 might be fine since the higher the res the lower the CPU dependency

however consider a r9 fury over the 980

Even a fury will bog down under a 3 monitor load. AMD card aren't that much better than the nvidia's. They are just power hungry cards. You would think more power equals more performance well yes and no. Counts on more factors than power consumption.

Just now, JJBtch4EXG said:

Even a fury will bog down under a 3 monitor load. AMD card aren't that much better than the nvidia's. They are just power hungry cards. You would think more power equals more performance well yes and no. Counts on more factors than power consumption.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_Fury_Tri-X_OC/

The benchmarks dont lie

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

4 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

OK well from what I saw a 980 to still out performed that card by 5 - 10 frames in most of those games and the 980 was still right there with it with most fps scores in margin of error range. I didn't read the whole thing but was that a triple monitor setup for those benchmarks? Cause this whole thread was about if a 8350 and a 980 could handle 3 monitors.

Bottleneck of doom, a friend had a similar Setup 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

2 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

To bring the topic back too point have you considered maybe going down the 2xr9 390 route????

That would handle it just fine. Assuming having all the power requirements.

Just now, JJBtch4EXG said:

That would handle it just fine. Assuming having all the power requirements.

Even 2 380x and you would have spent less than a 980

Just now, danrey84 said:

Even 2 380x and you would have spent less than a 980

True AMD is known for best bang for the buck.

Yes they are best bang for buck. ok they are a little more power hungry but lets face it if your running 3 monitors your not worrying about the ozone layer lol

Me personally ima performance hog. Used AMD for years and recently went to nvidia with 2 950s in sli. Was a great experience but done upgraded to 2 970s in sli. Also built another rig with 2 390s. Each run dual monitors.

2 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

Yes they are best bang for buck. ok they are a little more power hungry but lets face it if your running 3 monitors your not worrying about the ozone layer lol

Lol nope.

Sli to me seems to run more smoother than crossfire but I think it's because the cheap PSU I have in my other rig is the problem.