"Netflix Uses Pirate Sites to Determine What Shows to Buy"

TopWargamer

http://torrentfreak.com/netflix-uses-pirate-sites-to-determine-what-shows-to-buy-130914/

This week Netflix rolled out its video streaming service in the Netherlands where it hopes to build a massive user base in the years to come. One of the keys to achieve this goal is getting the rights to the most popular movies and TV-shows, and this is where pirate sites come in. Netflix Vice President of Content Acquisition Kelly Merryman says that popularity on file-sharing platforms determines in part what TV-series the company buys.

Personally I don't see a big deal with this. Netflix does have a point, and they're just trying to draw more people into using their services. What are your thoughts on this? 

COMIC SANS

Well it makes complete sense. Whoever is coming up with all these ideas at Netflix, u deserve a raise.

BUT WHERE TEH HELL IS BIG BANG THEORY FOR STREAMING!?

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

I don't really see any issues with this.. Companies are allowed to look at whatever data they want to as long as they get the data in a legal way. If netflix was running a pirate site in order to gain that data, that would be wrong, but I don't see anything wrong with them looking at what has popularity on pirate sites to determine what consumers want..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I don't really see any issues with this.. Companies are allowed to look at whatever data they want to as long as they get the data in a legal way. If netflix was running a pirate site in order to gain that data, that would be wrong, but I don't see anything wrong with them looking at what has popularity on pirate sites to determine what consumers want..

hmm

most sites dont show the number of total downloads just seeders

i recall companies download the magnet file and track the number of IPs  to get how many people downloaded it

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This is genius.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

That's actually really smart. Good job, Netflix.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

LOL Netflix are just actually very smart. They seem to be one of the most plugged in and well informed entertainment providers I have yet to come across

Well done Netflix, you have well impressed me over the years. Much love

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Thats why netflix is great. They don't have idiots making decisions for them.

This is pretty smart of them. It's also a good solution to the problem of piracy, where you take shows and offer them up for a relatively cheap subscription.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I believe razethew0rld talked about pirating a while back, said 90% of piracy is a distribution problem, if netflix figures out how to fix this, (which I believe they're already doing a great service to the people) then I think they should be able to make:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIRJlFAxfG8

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Well, there are two possibilities:

1) Netflix is using this to find out what's popular.

2) Netflix is using this to avoid shows that have definitive evidence that people will not pay to watch them.

I don't know about you guys, but I think that Netflix buys shows if they expect that a lot of people would get a subscription specifically to watch that particular show. Shows that are widely pirated... Well, people are already not paying to watch that show. I may be missing some key element, and I don't think it's wrong either way, but if I were Netflix I wouldn't buy shows that get pirated.

Well, there are two possibilities:

1) Netflix is using this to find out what's popular.

2) Netflix is using this to avoid shows that have definitive evidence that people will not pay to watch them.

I don't know about you guys, but I think that Netflix buys shows if they expect that a lot of people would get a subscription specifically to watch that particular show. Shows that are widely pirated... Well, people are already not paying to watch that show. I may be missing some key element, and I don't think it's wrong either way, but if I were Netflix I wouldn't buy shows that get pirated.

Pirating is more of a distribution problem than anything for example if a show isn't already on netflix or it isn't up to date I will go find a pirating website that has it but if netflix were to have the shows I like I would happily sign up to it since it's very reasonable. Then again piracy isn't always a distribution problem since it's easy to buy games on steam yet so many people pirate and the only reason I can think of to pirate a game is to see if you want it and then pay for it if you do and just delete it if you don't

Went off topic towards the end but in short netflix are doing this to see what consumers want easy access to not to find what shows are pirated more because people will be willing to pay for these as long as they get them the same time as they could on another website 

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |