The REAL cost of building a Gaming PC/buying a high end GPU

Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,
4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

well you dont incorporate the cost of a $4000 tv with a console, so....yeah

everyone uses whatever they want, a $10 tv or a $4000 tv

That's why I said "where/when applicable". ;) 

For someone getting into PC gaming for the first time and wants to use a monitor instead of their TV, but doesn't have one - they will have to incorporate that cost into their budget for the build.  

What is one of the main reasons why a person would choose a gaming PC over a gaming console? I mean besides the Massive amount of games you have access to online. For a PC gamer one of the main reasons they choose PC gaming over console is for better graphics! Right? I mean, this is why we spend $300 to $600 on one single part of the system. The GPU. Some even spend more then that if you are lucky enough buy multiple GPUs. 

As a PC Hobbiest who has built a few gaming PCs. In my experience i'm finding that there is a added cost to PC gaming that is NOT covered in the total cost of buying a gaming PC or in prebuilt gaming systems. (Example ibuypower pcs) Many don't even consider or take time to include this part in their total PC gaming budget. This one part they are forgetting is crucial in getting the "maximum" PC gaming experience in my opinion. That additional part and cost would be the gaming Monitor. 

Yes! This is the shiny thing that really is the most important component of your build. The display is the experience, right? That is if you want to separate your gaming experience on PC from home consoles. 

If you think about it, one of the main reasons you buy the newest and most popular PC game is for the graphics. Am I right!? For example - Star Wars Battlefront. Great game visually. Available on home consoles and PC. I've played it on both. In my experience there was absolutely no comparison that the graphics were WAY better on my PC then on console. It made for a much better gaming experience and it was sssooo much easier to pick out the snipers way in back or hidden in the high detailed bushes.

For those that want to know my test was done on a Xbox One and my personal gaming PC. I used the same 1080p Samsung 2ms response "non" gaming monitor for both.

Even with my non gaming monitor my overall gaming experience on PC was better but there were plenty of issues when I played. This has nothing to do with my gaming PC. I have a GTX 970 which is a beast GPU. Not the best but definitely a good Graphics card. My PC is able to max out settings for most games at 1080p and some at 1440p but while gaming I run a lot into what is called screen tearing or lag. It is extremely frustrating. This is because my monitor can't keep up with what my GPU is outputting. Now for many games you can turn on Vsync which dumbs down the GPU so your monitor can keep up. This is not what I am looking for when I game on my PC. Having experienced this I have looked into getting a new gaming monitor only to find that many cost almost as much or more then my PC itself!

This is where I have a problem. I watch a lot of YouTube. Mainly PC/Hardware reviews buy many famous and semi famous YouTubers including Linus Tech Tips, Jaystwocents, PaulsHardware, Austin Evens, Tek Syndicate and Awesomesauce Network just to name a few that I personally watch and are some of the more well known reviewers. I feel that a lot of build logs and reviews will say "You can build a console killer gaming PC for just $400, $500 or $800!" Or "check out this new GPU that cost $300 to $600 add it to your PC and get better graphics!" Whatever your budget is. Those that follow believe this is what they need to up their gaming experience and move to PC. So they save up some cash however long that takes and build their new PC or buy the new GPU. 

What is not generally considered is that the reviewer is testing the "gaming experience" on a high end monitor. I'm talking 4K IPS with GSync/Freesync running at least 144hz or more. Keep in mind this is not the reviewers fault at all. It makes sense for the reviewer to review this way because they are testing what that PC/GPU can do if you have the best equipment. Problem I'm seeing is that these reviews never cover what monitor the buyer should have or what they should consider buying when they build this PC or buy a 980ti GPU and include that in the cost. 

Side thought- Doesn't this also defeat the purpose of the FPS benchmarks if their monitor is not capable of keeping up with the GPU even at minimum 1080p? 

At least minimum specs would be nice so the viewer knows what they need that will support what the shiny new graphics card is outputting. As a tech savvy PC gamer I know what to look for but many times first time builders get so caught up in the build they forget about this most important part. Manufacturers don't make it easy either. The cheapest very low end 1080p gaming monitor I can find will run you around $200 but that is only bare minimum.  More decent monitors are going for about $400 -$500 and high end will burn $1000 or more in your pocket. Yikes! The main problem is not the graphics. At minimum nowadays most monitors are set up for 1080p but the monitors ability to accept the output of your rig to keep things smooth and non pixelated is not there.

So consider you are a first time builder and the video review you just watched for a PC you want to build is for a $500 console killer PC. If you do consider the monitor then the true cost is $700. For a $800 build, it's $1000 or more depending on the monitor you choose.

Makes buying a high end gaming laptop seem worth it. Considering they are portable, take up less space, come with a trackpad/keyboard and laptop monitors are built (usually) with the hardware in mind.

After watching so many build videos and GPU reviews I feel this is something that should be included more when doing a reviews. There are plenty of high end monitor reviews. Not so much for the lower end market and again, this is never covered in build logs or GPU reviews. I even think manufacturers should add something to the box so the buyer knows what they are in for. For many, paying $500 for a decent monitor isn't possible. Explaining your purchase decision to a non gaming spouse can also make you look a little insane!

If you have ever asked a non tech person who wants a gaming PC if their monitor can support what their GPU is outputting they generally have no clue. They usually hook it up to their outdated monitor they probably got from a friend or bought on the cheap. Or they hook it up to a regular TV which is not much better. The buyer is then force to deal with the low end viewing experience of their monitor after spending a small fortune on the PC. Something they can get for much less if they bought a console. The question is are they getting the full experience of the PC/GPU they just spent a bunch of money on? I think not!

Anyway, this is just my thoughts this subject. What do you think?

This is my first real forum post and I wanted to see what the community thought on this subject! Feel free to post your thoughts below or offer suggestions for what you think would be a good solution. Thank you -James

James Nelson

PC Hobbiest - Reviewer

Twitter - www.twitter.com/jamesnelsontnv

Youtube - www.youtube.com/NelsonGameTv 

3 minutes ago, TheNelsonsVlog said:

Anyway, this is just my thoughts this subject. What do you think?

i think you need to put a TLDR

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

TL;DR - Incorporate the cost of a good monitor as well, where/when applicable. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Just now, MEC-777 said:

TL;DR - Incorporate the cost of a good monitor as well, where/when applicable. 

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Pretty good point right there sir. An obvious one, but I couldn't say it better myself

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Haha! I guess your right. It's a bit long but it covers all my thoughts on the subject. I would add its a long read but I'm on my phone and can't edit the post 

James Nelson

PC Hobbiest - Reviewer

Twitter - www.twitter.com/jamesnelsontnv

Youtube - www.youtube.com/NelsonGameTv 

That's why I said "where/when applicable". ;) 

For someone getting into PC gaming for the first time and wants to use a monitor instead of their TV, but doesn't have one - they will have to incorporate that cost into their budget for the build.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Of course, it dont matter how high end you pc is, if your monitor is not up to par.

To put it into perspective, so would it be like gaming with a PS4 on an old CRT TV.

Which is why I went with the crazy/deluxe version and got 5 27" monitors, for a 7200x2560 (or 4320x2560 when I need 16:9) gaming experience.

P1020280.thumb.JPG.c27ecb815a986e2d8eb3f

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

i think he needs more then just a TL;DR

Also, gotta love people who spend 2000 USD on their "budget console killer". just to be rocking a 23" 60Hz 1080p TN monitor. Talking about "da great graphics"....

monitors aren't that expensive

v-sync doesn't "dumb down" your gpu, it simply limits your framerate, resulting in a smoother overall gaming experience.

If you're coming from a console, 60Hz will be a massive step up from the low framerates you are accustomed to.

I myself built a console-killer pc for 180 dollars.

I got the GPU for free, had a hard drive from an old laptop, and already owned the PSU. 

I use an old IBM thinkvision monitor, which I got for free.

It's only expensive if you want to max out every game at 1080p.

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

@TheNelsonsVlog

FPS doesnt really matter. Frame Timing is what you want, as that is the only metric that can tell you if the image you see on the screen is stuttering/lagging.

FPS meter will just tell you if the GPU is supplying enough frames to keep the monitor fed.

11 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

To put it into perspective, so would it be like gaming with a PS4 on an old CRT TV.

That reminded me of this:

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

9 minutes ago, Prysin said:

@TheNelsonsVlog

FPS doesnt really matter. Frame Timing is what you want, as that is the only metric that can tell you if the image you see on the screen is stuttering/lagging.

FPS meter will just tell you if the GPU is supplying enough frames to keep the monitor fed.

FPS does matter. Even with good frame timing, 60fps is still way better than 30. 

Frame timing consistency and consistent higher minimum fps is more important than average and max fps. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

Can the Wii get 60FPS at 640x480?

Yes.

And BTW that is certiandly not a 640x480 TV. My 4" phone has a resolution of 800x480, and it was good, so this TV is 144p at best

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

FPS does matter. Even with good frame timing, 60fps is still way better than 30. 

Frame timing consistency and consistent higher minimum fps is more important than average and max fps. 

FPS matters depending on application.

fucking 1990s sidescroller? 30 FPS is fine

most MMOs, 30FPS is fine

RPGs, 30 FPS is mostly fine

Racing games - 60 FPS is very helpful

FPS games - less then 60 FPS is just painful

5 minutes ago, Prysin said:

FPS matters depending on application.

fucking 1990s sidescroller? 30 FPS is fine

most MMOs, 30FPS is fine

RPGs, 30 FPS is mostly fine

Racing games - 60 FPS is very helpful

FPS games - less then 60 FPS is just painful

That's where it becomes subjective. Some people don't notice and don't care. Other people can't stand anything below 60. 

IMO any/every game benefits and looks better from running at 60+ vs 30 - unless the game's engine/physics is dependent on the frame rate (though, not a single game I've played is like that). 

So yeah, FPS matters depending on application and individual. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Just now, MEC-777 said:

That's where it becomes subjective. Some people don't notice and don't care. Other people can't stand anything below 60 or more. 

IMO any game benefits and looks better from running at 60+ vs 30 - unless the game's engine/physics is dependent on the frame rate (though, not a single game I've played is like that). 

So yeah, FPS matter, but it depends on the application and individual. 

I agree. In my case, 60FPS is good, but I can live even with 24.

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

I agree. In my case, 60FPS is good, but I can live even with 24.

Anything below about 50 looks like a slide show to me and I can't stand it. It's a matter of perception and preference. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

Of course, it dont matter how high end you pc is, if your monitor is not up to par.

Which is why I went with the crazy/deluxe version and got 5 27" monitors, for a 7200x2560 (or 4320x2560 when I need 16:9) gaming experience.

P1020280.thumb.JPG.c27ecb815a986e2d8eb3f

WTF dude some people have so much money liek, how? I guess I'm only nineteen so my income ain't that great (still about 5-10 bucks over canadian minimal wage tho, fuck yeah!)

it just depends. My PC was 800$. I use my TV and a old Sony monitor. I care about a balance of FPS and graphics. So while my TV is exactly a monitor it works just fine for me.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

There are some issues with your post that might illustrate a lack of experience or knowledge of PC hardware. You can of course just buy a Fresync/Gsync/Whateversync monitor for big bucks right now, and you are correct, they are very expensive ATM, However, as with everything tech related, with greater adoption and greater manufacturing numbers you can very much expect the prices to go down quite a bit - to reasonable levels. 

Of course, I would expect that higher framerate monitors would remain expensive for the foreseeable future, since they are such a niche product and 99.99% of PC users don't need such monitors. However, it still makes sense to test GPUs for their FPS performance, even if you are getting 100+ FPS on a 60 Hz monitor. Why? Higher the FPS, lesser the chance of annoying FPS drops. 

And consider this as well: monitors are still worlds better than (great majority of) TVs, which were never designed to handle fast-moving images like games (twitchy FPS games anyone?). 

If you are looking into a console-killer PC, it is quite safe to assume that while the monitor will not be amazing, it will still be better than any TV people with such budgets might have. IMO, 500 €+ "gaming" monitors aren't the top decision for anyone, not if they are on a budget, and rightly so. The added value is not quite there, compared to a better GPU. 

I hope I have managed to illustrate what I believe is the actual state of the monitor buyers' mindset.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I do have to say that if you don't have peripherals (monitor, keyboard and mouse) they are pretty important to include.

Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse and Speakers can cost about $454, which sure you could get like an AmazonBasics combo and get a cheaper monitor and maybe skip the speakers or get cheaper ones. However, if you've just dumped like $1000 on your PC, give it some decent peripherals.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I do have to say that if you don't have peripherals (monitor, keyboard and mouse) they are pretty important to include.

Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse and Speakers can cost about $688, which sure you could get like an AmazonBasics combo for a lot less than a Logitech K750 and MX Master.

$110 Monitor for a nice IPS 1080p

$100 Keyboard for a nice one 

$30 for a pretty good mouse

$50 Decent Speakers

$290 ---- 

Most people already own these things anyway.

The thing I see most people buy is a new mouse.