My G-Sync impressions after 2 weeks

stealth80

Hi, 

Bit of a random post, but I aint really seen anything like this on the net, reviews are all well, but they tend to talk specs and do comparisons against other like devices.

I got the Asus PG278Q a few weeks ago, the first one was faulty due to flickering issues, which was my second (2/2) faulty on arrival RoG product (MEI chip is faulty on my motherboard, its been flashed, its still not working correctly, but I dont really need it) Anyway, i got my replacement a couple of weeks ago coming from a 1080P IPS 60 Hz HP monitor (23Xi) with around 7ms response. 

I had always had budget monitors, due to marriage, having our girl fairly young and early in our relationship and generally having better things to spend my money on other than PC hardware. It wasnt something I had ever really though about and replaced my old AOC 1080P budget screen with the above HP. Although at this time I was gearing up to i7's (860, 3770K now 4790k) and GPU's (670GTX, 280X, 970's) but never really thought about a better monitor.

Last year we decided to get a Samsung 4k TV and rigged my PC up to realise my single 970 wasn't going to cut it. Now money is better now lol, but I still have to convince the other half about major purchases and this includes spending £550 on a GPU 6 months after I spent £300 on a 970 GTX (at the same time as the 4790K + board) and since having dropped in a Samsung XP941 and dual watercooling loops........ in a nutshell, it WAS NOT WORTH ASKING LOL. 

So I stuck with it, I only used the TV a couple of evenings a week anyway and the 970 ran a lot of games at 4k without issues, only the real monster titles that caused issues. I opted for a second 970GTX in november last year and that really helped things! (I know people are screaming 980ti, she aint gonna go for it lol). I started playing through loads of games when she worked and had a blast, Witcher 3 in 4k taking up a lot of my time. I also turned to some oldies, Grid 2 been one of those titles.

Up comes February (Valentines for the single guys!) and i'm asked what I would like. I dropped the hint for the Asus RoG Swift and to my surprise she went for it! 

So here I am, at first I noticed the impact of the 144hz + Gsync, mainly the lack of tearing and smoothness during fast panning. Image quality is great for TN (coming from an IPS) and i was happy. I spent more time on Grid 2 on the Asus and had a blast and generally got used to the RoG.

Haha, until last night!

I decided to play Grid 2 on the TV again. and ......... I couldn't play it ...... the delay was impossible! I had never noticed this before switching from the old monitor to the 4k TV, but it was horrendous! I thought it might be because the FPS was a little lower at 4k and dropped to 1440P and enabled "game mode" on the TV. I still couldnt complete the race in a reasonable time!! I went back to the monitor and all was fine.

So what am I saying?

a) Oh shit I think i'm spoilt now and won't ever be able to game on a low end monitor! I also wonder how much difference this would have had on my DPS when I played Mage/Warlock/Rogue on World of Warcraft (if any - I was decent, few top 10 logs, but I wasn't a world beater)

b) I think we get used to things very quickly and maybe that it was makes us strive to upgrade our rigs when it probably isn't needed.

Anyway, random post is random! 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Thread moved to Member Reviews.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i guess this goes for any improvement in technology. I cannot fathom how my father was able to use the tiny little iPhone 4s screen for 3 years after I had switched from iPhone to Galaxy

same thing with 21:9. i hate myself for buying this thing :D

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

I think different elements of the whole experience mean different things to different people in different scenarios.

Lag (delay etc), however you view it is right up there as something I can't stand, all elements of my kit are 1ms rated now and the difference is big, but i'm a sensitive FPS player and have an unhealthy interest in FPS, input lag, refresh rates etc.

The way I look at it is i'm bad enough, so I need all the help I can get.

Going from my 17 inch laptop screen to a 'massive' 24 inch external display was literally like night and day for ranged combat in Arma and Squad etc.

Getting a mech keyboard with cherry reds was a real difference over my very nice gaming laptop keyboard that I thought was 'great'.

Going from a 500hz to 1000hz/second polling mouse I can't say I noticed anything. But I wouldn't buy anything less than 1000Hz moving forward.

Placebo is a real thing to many of us and I get to bore my steam friends about all this stuff........

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

I'm just shocked your other half bought you that monitor :')

I'm similar to you but only on panel types. Went from a TN (which was fine back then) to a VA panel. That panel was crystal clear, no backlight bleed/glow and quite a low response time at 4ms afaik. Moved to an IPS panel but the backlight bleed and ultra-noticable IPS glow made me want to rip my eyes out. So looks like I'm a VA panel guy forever now. The only problem is, manufacturers don't make high-end VA monitors for some stupid reason, aside from that new acer z35 for around £700+. No thanks... haha

EVE (My Gaming Build)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ Stock Speeds - Cooling: Phanteks TC-12DX - PSU: Corsair RM750 - GPU: MSI GTX 1070 - Storage: 1x 120gb Samsung 830 Evo SSD (OS Drive) | 1x 120gb Hyperx 3k SSD (Audio Editing) | 1x 480gb Sandisk Ultra II SSD (Games) | 1x 1TB Hard Drive (Mass Storage) - Case: NZXT Phantom 530 - Misc: NZXT Hue RGB LED and controller