I7 choice

Hi i want to upgrade my pc to an I7 but i don't know what to chose the i7 4790k cost the same as an I7 6700 and the 6700K is just to expensive. 

My pc specs you need is: Cpu- I5 4750              

Mobo- Asus B85m-G  

The thing i most want to do is get the I7 4790K and later upgrade my Mobo. But is the 4790K still worth buying.And please don't tell me i can get an i5 xxxx and it can just do everything that i need.

-Thanks

Yeah but was looking at it if i should by that in Denmark i would cost around 650$ 

2 minutes ago, Matty2hatty said:

I would save and buy the i7 6700k and a z170 board.

Skylake is not worth the MoBo upgrade, and i have a 6700K. Awesome chip but I'd just get the latest CPU for your Mobo. Don't get a K series CPU, your mobo is not capable of OC, almost positive you need a Z board to OC

The difference is minimal between the two. Perhaps wait a few months and get a new board and new CPU, but I would probably go Skylake, in Denmark I'm not sure how much of a price difference here but in the USA it would be worth saving your money. The only reason I would go Haswell is in the case where you get a really good overclocking motherboard for cheap and you get a placeholder CPU like the G3258  and then plan to upgrade to a 4790k when you find one used for cheap.

Did you upgrade GPUs or are you rendering for work or something now and that is why you are wanting to upgrade?

If you make good money and can drop it easily, then sure, go with the Skylake.

2 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

I honestly think I'd just save my money.

Yeah but i could get the I7 4790k and when i get some more money then upgrade the mobo

Just now, Thue500 said:

Yeah but i could get the I7 4790k and when i get some more money then upgrade the mobo

4790k is still a great chip. Go for it if you want. Try to find a good Z97 board when you can. I was able to get a MX5 gaming board for right at $100 USD.

1 minute ago, DunePilot said:

The difference is minimal between the two. Perhaps wait a few months and get a new board and new CPU, but I would probably go Skylake, in Denmark I'm not sure how much of a price difference here but in the USA it would be worth saving your money. The only reason I would go Haswell is in the case where you get a really good overclocking motherboard for cheap and you get a placeholder CPU like the G3258  and then plan to upgrade to a 4790k when you find one used for cheap.

Did you upgrade GPUs or are you rendering for work or something now and that is why you are wanting to upgrade?

Well i want do video edit and be able to stream in 1080p 30fps with no cpu bund problem. And my gpu is an R9 390

So either a 4790 and keep your MB or a 4790k with a new board. Second option will probably run you an extra $120-140 USD.

You might be able to get an extra 30% performance between those two... so $120-140 extra for 20-40% more performance.

20 minutes ago, Thue500 said:

Hi i want to upgrade my pc to an I7 but i don't know what to chose the i7 4790k cost the same as an I7 6700 and the 6700K is just to expensive. 

Mobo- Asus B85m-G  

The thing i most want to do is get the I7 4790K and later upgrade my Mobo. But is the 4790K still worth buying.And please don't tell me i can get an i5 xxxx and it can just do everything that i need.

-Thanks

Xeon E3 1231-V3. Performs the same as an i7 4770 (non-k) without the iGPU.

Just now, Aereldor said:

Xeon E3 1231-V3. Performs the same as an i7 4770 (non-k) without the iGPU.

This would be the cheapest and perhaps the best option as well.

3.4-8 GHz core clock is plenty fast for gaming.

So you have 4 different upgrade paths. I'd advise seeing what the prices are there in Denmark and choosing the right one. I think I'd probably just go with the Xeon or save and upgrade to a Skylake 6700k.

1 hour ago, DunePilot said:

This would be the cheapest and perhaps the best option as well.

3.4-8 GHz core clock is plenty fast for gaming.

So you have 4 different upgrade paths. I'd advise seeing what the prices are there in Denmark and choosing the right one. I think I'd probably just go with the Xeon or save and upgrade to a Skylake 6700k.

Honestly, you won't see much of an improvement in CPU performance from the Xeon to an i7 6700k, and most games are never going to present a challenge to the 4-core, eight-thread beast of a Xeon in the first place. However, if you do find yourself working with much more CPU-intense workloads like video editing and rendering, or 3D content creation-

I'd recommend that you wait for Broadwell-E to hit, then upgrade to x99 with one of the new 6*** extreme editions or grab something like a 5820k after the price drops.

@Aereldor

Sounds like he is on a budget so I'd go with the Xeon. An X99 system is anything but a budget build.

You'd notice a diff between that Xeon and a 6700k due to the IPC and the core clock alone at 4.5-4.7ish OC 30-50% faster I would say taking both of those into account.

But... you wouldn't notice the performance gap if you are being held back by a weak GPU on a single 1080p monitor because the CPU would never even become a factor and the Xeon can handle whatever he has I am sure. I do agree with you though, if I was building a top end system I would be going on the X99 platform as well. But I like more workstation oriented rigs, see the 24 thread rig in my signature. 5820k as a placeholder and then jump to a 6960X when it comes out. I'd take that over a Skylake build any day of the week.

9 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

@Aereldor

Sounds like he is on a budget so I'd go with the Xeon. An X99 system is anything but a budget build.

You'd notice a diff between that Xeon and a 6700k due to the IPC and the core clock alone at 4.5-4.7ish OC 30-50% faster I would say taking both of those into account.

But... you wouldn't notice the performance gap if you are being held back by a weak GPU on a single 1080p monitor because the CPU would never even become a factor and the Xeon can handle whatever he has I am sure. I do agree with you though, if I was building a top end system I would be going on the X99 platform as well. But I like more workstation oriented rigs, see the 24 thread rig in my signature. 5820k as a placeholder and then jump to a 6960X when it comes out. I'd take that over a Skylake build any day of the week.

My mistake, I addressed OP in my post rather than you.

I don't do a lot of work befitting of a workstation- I mean, even the videos I edit, I work on with an i3-4160, which is none of the above. Still, I don't see any reason to recommend workstation-grade hardware to OP save for future-proofing reasons, as it's evident that today's six-core CPUs will be on par with quad-cores a few generations down the line.

Then again, you've a point if he wants to get into workloads heavier than gaming.

In my rig I decided to upgrade to a Xeon E3-1231v3 from my old i3-4130. Its been too months and this thing is definitely a beast and performance compares well against most i7s. This thing is also $250 which makes it one of the best value CPUs out there. The i7-6700k and i7-4790k are a bit overpriced and performance wouldn't be too much better than the Xeon.

Current Rig - CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 GPU: AMD RX480 8GB RAM: 16GB PNY DDR3 Storage: ADATA 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate HDD OS: Windows 10 Pro

YouTube Tech Channel - Tech House

4 hours ago, Thue500 said:

Mobo- Asus B85m-G  

-Thanks

Just get the 4790K. Skylake isn't that big of an improvement over it, certainly not enough to justify the cost. Even if you don't OC (and you won't on a B85 board), it's faster than the non-K 4790 by a good margin. You'll be set for a few years, and then a little more if you get a Z97 mobo and overclock it as it approaches the end of its useful life. Plus the RAM is cheaper, the mobo is cheaper, etc.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

With the Xeon he doesnt have to worry about upgrading the motherboard too. I would say let the GPU determine it. Really no sense in having to go with the 4790k when he could go with the Xeon if he doesn't plan on upgrading to a nice GPU... like anything below a 980 Ti  or some kind of SLi set up I just don't really see the point in spending the extra money. He gets a K sku then he has to get a new board too.

I went with the skylake because many reviewers said the skylake chip and the way they have done everything (architecture wise i believe), looks like a great solid foundation to build future cpu's off. In the sense of, it looks like the setup will be around for quite a while, like the 1150 socket. For me this was good to hear because i was getting ready to buy a whole new system/build, and I wanted to be able to get a mobo that would be very capable of upgrading all the parts that went on it. Plus having the new DDR4 mem was nice, not because of any of the small benefits it might have over DDR3, but mainly that it's probably going to around for equal to or longer than DDR3, and should be easily upgrade able in the future if needed.

Many people on the forums were laughing/mocking at all the hype behind skylake and at the people that went out and upgraded right away, because there is not a huge improvement over the setup they already had. I really comes down to want/need. Limited money, go for the need (cpu upgrade only). Money Bags, go for what you want, whatever it might be.