Activision is gearing up in opposition to a video game violence bill

TopWargamer

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/call-duty-maker-gears-against-violent-video-games-bill-8C11124802

Activision Blizzard, the video game company behind billion-dollar franchises like "Call of Duty," "World of Warcraft," and "Skylanders," has hired a prominent lobbying firm to represent its interests on a Senate bill that proposes ordering new research into connection between violent video games and violent behavior, according to lobbying records first reported by The Washington Post.

Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld will address government representatives on behalf of Activision Blizzard, regarding the bill which was first introduced to the full Senate for consideration on July 30, the bill has not been taken up for a vote.

Activision, I applaud you. Keep it up. 

COMIC SANS

They are only doing this to stay in business.

But, I applaud them as well.

Finally, this shouldn't be happening in the first place.

It's just research.

they should actually actively support research if its unbiased and independent. I personally don't see a correlation, as most gamers I know are, well cowards. there might be a possible connection to violent people being drawn to gaming, but definitely not a connection of games causing violence. rage quiting doesn't count.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

This is just another opportunity for ignorant, out of touch Politicians to try and claim the games are not a legitimate form of media, when they are the only one with user interaction and, because of that, are often far more powerful tools than traditional media.

Imagine if they had (successfully) done this in the early days of cinema. We'd have missed out on some of the greatest movies ever made!

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

What if they were forced to make 2 versions of Call of Duty? One for kids and the other for adults with a valid network linked ID. They could charge a "sin" tax like they do with tobacco and alcohol. Make us pay double for the unrated version. 

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

What if they were forced to make 2 versions of Call of Duty? One for kids and the other for adults with a valid network linked ID. They could charge a "sin" tax like they do with tobacco and alcohol. Make us pay double for the unrated version. 

that cannot happen. alcohol and tobacco are regulated in most state constitutions and is enforced by the ATF.

Also, to anyone who is behind Activision, and I am not singling anybody out because I don't do that and there are thousands of people who are behind them right now, remember, Activision isn't hiring a lawyer because it cares about gamers and wants to make sure us gamers have access to cool stuff, they don't care about our rights as gamers. They are doing it for the same reason any company takes action: because they do not want to lose money and if this study turns out to show that video games have a negative impact on children then it might hurt their profits. And I know a lot of people are saying "but it doesnt make you violent" well, violence is only one variable they are looking at, violence is the thing that the media is putting a bunch of hype behind. They are also looking at factors like anxiety, mood, aggression, sensitization, and a few others which to be honest do not have enough research behind them.

The government will never be able to ban violent video games. It is unconstitutional. The only thing they can do is try to give evidence. They can regulate it all they want, but they can't ban it and they can't limit access to it by forcing the company to charge more money or creating excise taxes. States have tried to limit access of video games for minors (which I believe in because I am an uncle) but they always fail because every time they bring it to the state supreme court, it is overturned as unconstitutional.

I understand why people are upset with the whole video game violence stuff you see in the media But the truth is that video games, just like other forms of entertainment, have the potential to impact young minds in positive and negative ways.

If you don't think that videos games have ANY impact on children then think about this: there is a scene in Black Ops of Woods and Mason being forced to play Russian Roulette, they are cussing and screaming and then one of the soldiers actually shoots himself in the head. If you believe that a 5 year old can handle seeing that image then I don't know what to tell you.

And yes, it is the parents' responsibility to monitor their kid. But this study would give those responsible parents more tools and a better education about the subject which in turn helps everyone.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

I'll never applaud Activision for anything.

But I also don't want a bunch of 50-year-olds giving money to the people telling me playing an FPS will make me a criminal.  Because who trusts the government to fund unbiased scientific research?

Lesser of two evils I suppose?

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

that cannot happen. alcohol and tobacco are regulated in most state constitutions and is enforced by the ATF.

Also, to anyone who is behind Activision, and I am not singling anybody out because I don't do that and there are thousands of people who are behind them right now, remember, Activision isn't hiring a lawyer because it cares about gamers and wants to make sure us gamers have access to cool stuff, they don't care about our rights as gamers. They are doing it for the same reason any company takes action: because they do not want to lose money and if this study turns out to show that video games have a negative impact on children then it might hurt their profits. And I know a lot of people are saying "but it doesnt make you violent" well, violence is only one variable they are looking at, violence is the thing that the media is putting a bunch of hype behind. They are also looking at factors like anxiety, mood, aggression, sensitization, and a few others which to be honest do not have enough research behind them.

The government will never be able to ban violent video games. It is unconstitutional. The only thing they can do is try to give evidence. They can regulate it all they want, but they can't ban it and they can't limit access to it by forcing the company to charge more money or creating excise taxes. States have tried to limit access of video games for minors (which I believe in because I am an uncle) but they always fail because every time they bring it to the state supreme court, it is overturned as unconstitutional.

I understand why people are upset with the whole video game violence stuff you see in the media But the truth is that video games, just like other forms of entertainment, have the potential to impact young minds in positive and negative ways.

If you don't think that videos games have ANY impact on children then think about this: there is a scene in Black Ops of Woods and Mason being forced to play Russian Roulette, they are cussing and screaming and then one of the soldiers actually shoots himself in the head. If you believe that a 5 year old can handle seeing that image then I don't know what to tell you.

And yes, it is the parents' responsibility to monitor their kid. But this study would give those responsible parents more tools and a better education about the subject which in turn helps everyone.

Yes along those lines, it makes even more sense to sell a "lite" version. Kids are playing games. And everyone and their grandma plays Call of Duty. Game publishers don't want to do this though. It's not about the kids. It's the money spent to develop these lite versions.

I'm sure you've noticed that most news sights now require a FB account to comment on articles. This is the first step in the process of everything going towards Network IDs. If implemented fully, kids could not play mature titles unless using a parents account. You'd think,"Okay, Little Tommy will stay out of my hair for a while if I just let him play my mature game he has been begging to play."; but with everything being tied to an online ID(credit cards, billing accounts, adult websites, and Facebook) parents would hopefully think twice. We are not far from limited transparency on a personal user level.

It's coming. Someone already knows what and how to do it. They are just waiting on the right bills to pass first. Activision is preventing this instead of being foward thinking. They will win, but for the wrong reasons.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

There is another thing that I think needs to be brought up. It can't be the case that parents need to monitor their kids AND video games are harmless. If video games were harmless, then why would parents need to monitor their kids? If parents monitor their kids, then you are admitting that there can be some harm done here.

The people spouting off about video games being harmless have never had their 5 year old nephew (or son, or cousin, whatever) wake up in the middle of the night screaming as loud as he could for you because he had such a strong nightmare about the Black Ops Russian Roulette scene. My little buddy did this. AND he wet the bed because he was so frightened. I was the idiot playing the game on my sister's big screen TV while he laid on the couch. In my defense I thought he was asleep and I had my headset on so he couldn't hear anything. But he was not sleeping and the sight of the scene alone was enough to give him a nightmare. This was a year ago and he still cries when I bring it up so I don't bring it up anymore. You cannot sit there and tell me that there was no damage done to his little mind.

I am very passionate about the issue of video game violence because I have little people who in my life who I love. I would like to hear what actual parents think about this issue.

And I still play violent video games.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

This is just another opportunity for ignorant, out of touch Politicians to try and claim the games are not a legitimate form of media, when they are the only one with user interaction and, because of that, are often far more powerful tools than traditional media.

Imagine if they had (successfully) done this in the early days of cinema. We'd have missed out on some of the greatest movies ever made!

I think one day cinema will be a merging of video games and cinema as we know it today. To the same extent, I think gaming will become more and more similar to a cinematic experience. I imagine one day it will be like watching a film, and being the main character at the same time.

GO Activision!!!!

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I played alot of Mortal Kombat when I was 9. I got the flu and had a bad fever causing hallucinations. I was seeing fatalities being executed in my room that scared me, thinking I was next. LOL. To me, It sounds funny now, but it was intense.

When I was 15, my sister and I were in a foster home. My foster parents had an adopted daughter from Brazil who was also 15. She forced herself on me, day 2. We became intimate. My sister was a prude and snitched. So the drama insued. I was playing San Andreas religiously. One night, I took my foster parents' adoptive daughter and their car. We were caught the next morning. I didn't try to outrun the cops. I stopped as soon as the blue lights hit my eyes like a noob.

I don't believe the game influenced me directly, but as intellectual beings; we are all affected by our environments.

I played alot of Mortal Kombat when I was 9. I got the flu and had a bad fever causing hallucinations. I was seeing fatalities being executed in my room that scared me, thinking I was next. LOL. To me, It sounds funny now, but it was intense.

When I was 15, my sister and I were in a foster home. My foster parents had an adopted daughter from Brazil who was also 15. She forced herself on me, day 2. We became intimate. My sister was a prude and snitched. So the drama insued. I was playing San Andreas religiously. One night, I took my foster parents' adoptive daughter and their car. We were caught the next morning. I didn't try to outrun the cops. I stopped as soon as the blue lights hit my eyes like a noob.

I don't believe the game influenced me directly, but as intellectual beings; we are all affected by our environments.

I was a foster kid as well, I think San Andreas was the least of your worries at the time.

One of the largest companies Vendi Games (Activision-Blizzard) taking a stand never hurts.

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

There is another thing that I think needs to be brought up. It can't be the case that parents need to monitor their kids AND video games are harmless. If video games were harmless, then why would parents need to monitor their kids? If parents monitor their kids, then you are admitting that there can be some harm done here.

The people spouting off about video games being harmless have never had their 5 year old nephew (or son, or cousin, whatever) wake up in the middle of the night screaming as loud as he could for you because he had such a strong nightmare about the Black Ops Russian Roulette scene. My little buddy did this. AND he wet the bed because he was so frightened. I was the idiot playing the game on my sister's big screen TV while he laid on the couch. In my defense I thought he was asleep and I had my headset on so he couldn't hear anything. But he was not sleeping and the sight of the scene alone was enough to give him a nightmare. This was a year ago and he still cries when I bring it up so I don't bring it up anymore. You cannot sit there and tell me that there was no damage done to his little mind.

I am very passionate about the issue of video game violence because I have little people who in my life who I love. I would like to hear what actual parents think about this issue.

And I still play violent video games.

It's age-dependent.  Younger children are for sure much more impressionable, and so the guidelines change.

I don't think it's a great idea to let 6-year-olds play shooters because they're likely not emotionally prepared for scenes of such violent nature.

But by the age of 12 I'm sure most kids won't be wetting the bed from seeing a game character get shot.  And Call of Doody alone isn't going to turn a normal 12-year-old kid into a sociopath.

I understand the concerns, but I think encouraging these studies will only freak out a bunch of parents who'll stop their 14-year-olds from playing Battlefield out of paranoia.

Not letting 6-year-olds watch/play shooters is already common sense.  At least I think it is.  And that's up to the parents to handle.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

It's age dependent.  Younger children are for sure much more impressionable.

I don't think it's a great idea to let 6-year-olds play shooters because they're likely not emotionally prepared for scenes of such violent nature.

But by the age of 12 I'm sure most kids won't be wetting the bed from seeing a game character get shot.  And Call of Doody alone isn't going to turn a normal 12-year-old kid into a sociopath.

I understand the concerns, but I think encouraging these studies will only freak out a bunch of parents who'll stop their 14-year-olds from playing Battlefield out of paranoia.  Not letting 6-year-olds watch/play shooters is already common sense.  At least I think it is.  And that's up to the parents to handle.

yeah that might be the case. You would make a great scientist because one job of a scientist is to constantly doubt the status quo and think of better ways.

If the studies are done correctly (I have a psychology degree so this is where my knowledge comes from and I am not trying to throw it in peoples' faces, but I am just saying I had to learn all this in school) they will differentiate among age groups. If they do not put kids in groups based on age then I find it very hard for them to get the study published in a legitimate psychology journal. The thing I think they will have the most trouble with is determining what video game violence is and how to define it in an objective way. Not everyone agrees on what they consider to be violent images. But the scientists (and they are scientists) probably thought the same thing you thought when it comes to how parents will react, how different age groups compare, and stuff like that. I have confidence that they will do the responsible thing and tell people to STFU in a nice way, and not blow it all out of proportion. In every psychology study it is required to give a real life suggestion at the end of the study. It was part of a movement to get more people involved in psychology and to put fears to rest because people were going bonkers over the results of studies.

But I want people to stop with the whole, "Video games are harmless" bandwagon cliche bull**** because every form of media can be harmful to a child in different ways. Video games are no different than a rated R movie and we all know that rated R movies can have an impact on a little one's emotions. You wouldn't let a little one watch a horror movie right?

Us adults can handle Rated R movies and violent video games. Hell right now I am playing The Last of Us and enjoying it.

I was a foster kid as well, I think San Andreas was the least of your worries at the time.

I agree, but you never know what truly pushes you off the edge.