i7-5930k -VS- i7-6700k skylake for gaming.

I seriously can not decide... I have tried to research a whole lot on youtube about the 2 processors but by the looks of it the 5930k looks a tad bit better?

Some opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Me for gaming?! Probably not a lot difference. I would just go with the i7-5930k, even though the i7-6700k is newer. 

The i7-5930k is just a BEAST

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

The 5930K is simply a 5820K with more PCIe lanes and higher stock clock. So unless you're running more than two cards in XFire/SLI (which isn't a good idea BTW), there's no reason to consider the 5930K over the 5820K.

If you're SLI'ing, the 5820K would be the better choice. The 6700K would be the better choice for a single card.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

3 minutes ago, Guuhan said:

5920K > 5920K. Cheaper and basically same performance if you overclock the 5920X. Invest that extra money into an aftermarket cpu cooler.

Although 6700K is a bit newer and you're building for gaming so I think this is good for you + aftermarket cooler.

sht feeling like a noob LOL

You mean 5930K not 5920K. And it's 5960X not 5920X

CPU: Intel i7-6700k - GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW - Motherboard: Asus Z170-A - RAM: Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB 3000MHz - CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro GTX H110i - PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 650W P2 - Case: NZXT H440 White/Black - OS: Windows 10 Home - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red RGB

Just now, Zack Brown said:

You mean 5930K not 5920K. And it's 5960X not 5920X

sht... didn't edit it in time... darn it... saw it at last yeah LOL.

report me pls.

5820k wins in all situations, almost every tech channel has covered this.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Skylake i7 has a better single-core performance. It's also much more efficient. (140W vs 90W I think)

But there are known issues as bending or there was a freezing issue, which was fixed by some kind of BIOS update.

5930K is an older technology, but has more cores and threads, lower single-core performance. More PCIe lanes.

I think you can't go wrong in either way if you have the money for it.

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

Some games benefit from the additional cores, some from the additional clock speed and performance of Skylake and many just don't care as they are GPU limited. Which is better depends entirely on the game. Generally you will find Skylake ends up the better solution most of the time but its not always true as games like Crysis 3 have scenes that use substantial CPU in a parallel way. Its too simplistic to simply say one or the other because its simply not true except in a narrow list of games.

For example the Witcher 3 and Arma 3 both show good boosts on Skylake compared to Haswell-E.

2 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

The 5930K is simply a 5820K with more PCIe lanes and higher stock clock. So unless you're running more than two cards in XFire/SLI (which isn't a good idea BTW), there's no reason to consider the 5930K over the 5820K.

If you're SLI'ing, the 5820K would be the better choice. The 6700K would be the better choice for a single card.

I don't know if this is true or not, but some overclockers swear that the 5930k has a better System Agent. Have not personally tested this, as I do not own anything on the X99 platform, but if that were to be true, it is a pretty decent boon. 

3 hours ago, Lucas9825 said:

I seriously can not decide... I have tried to research a whole lot on youtube about the 2 processors but by the looks of it the 5930k looks a tad bit better?

Some opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Honestly, for the vast majority of games, the 6700k will do fine. At this point, you have to compare platform costs as a whole, then math out exactly how much extra performance a the more expensive platform will have against the cheaper platform. If gaming is the only thing you have in mind, you can just save a ton of money and go with an i5. HT is only about 10% more FPS in best case scenario's (technically worse case scenario's, as HT only makes that kind of a difference in poorly coded games) but the cost of an i7 over an i5 is roughly 30% more money. Unless you plan on multi tasking while gaming, an i5 is an obvious choice at a strictly gaming price:performance standpoint.

The X99 platform might seem enticing, offering an additional 2 cores, 4 threads over the Z170 SKU's, but you must bare in mind the weaker memory controller on the X99 SKU's and the fact that only a few games will leverage those additional cores as of now. More games in the future might take advantage of them, and DX12 might also change how more cores impact gaming, but that is yet to be seen at this point. I would leave the deciding factor down to cost, like i said before. If going X99 will cost you $50-$100 more, see if you can spend that extra money on a stronger GPU, which will yield more gaming performance than a CPU. Same goes for vice versa. If Z170 costs more money than X99, go X99 and invest that money in hardware that will make a bigger impact on gaming performance. As far as longevity goes, both Skylake and Haswell(e) have a fairly long and similar lifespan. I imagine they will both last for the next 5 years or so for gaming. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Well there aren't many tests done where you can compare them but the 6700K has better single-thread performance, which would be better paired with an AMD GPU due to AMD's driver overhead and the fact that their driver is single-threaded. The 5930k should perform better with an Nvidia GPU, and if you additionally OC it it will be great. Few games will be able to make use of its full power, but D3D12 games are on the horizon and they will be able to make use of the extra cores and threads. AoS can use up to 16 threads for example.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

The Skylake would be slightly better for gaming at least at the moment, a couple years down the line as DX12 core implementation gets refined it might level the playing field a little more. The difference would be small already. The real difference is in a workstation environment that requires CPU rendering the 5930k will win out there due to the extra threads. Skylake would be better suited for a gamer, while 2011v3 would be more suited to gamer/workstation needs. Future upgrades you will be limited to a 4 core with hyperthreading as your top chip  on Skylake where as 2011v3 will have many high thread count CPUs to choose from. For someone who pumps out daily youtube videos or something I'd probably recommend the 2011v3, for strictly gaming and not much else Skylake.

Would go with more cores for the future. 

Can't decide? Flip a coin, heads = 5930k, tails = 6700K :P

Both cpus will do great for your needs. The X99, while it's based on the Haswell architecture, might seem old compare to Skylake, both platforms actually have the exact same features, so you're not missing out on anything, when you go with Skylake or the other. Skylake is mainstream, so it tops out at 4 cores and dual channel ram. Haswell-E is enthusiast and goes beyond 4 cores with up to quad channel ram. In terms of PCIe lanes, Skylake cpu has less, only up to 16 lanes, so the chipset itself makes up for it by adding more lanes. Haswell-E, the cpu itself has plenty of lanes, so most of the things are handle by the cpu, thus X99 chipset don't need too much, and it's for basic components like sata ports, usb, ethernet, and onboard audio.

All Haswell-E cpus have 40 lanes, except for 5820K which only has 28.

All Skylake cpus have 16 lanes, additional lanes varies by chipset.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Huh interesting... so If i was going to only roll 1 gpu i'd go with the skylake?

I plan on running sli 980 ti's.

For ONLY basic Gaming (without Streaming, rendering etc): Skylake i7 6700k, is the max you could make use of.

HOWEVER: If an X99 Platform + 5820k doesnt cost really more in your Country, go for it.

In Germany here, the x99 CPU + Board will cost 120-150€ more. That's NOT worth for just pure gaming.

Don't see why you are going for a 5930k. It's basically a 5820k that costs 150 bucks more for a tiny increase in clock speeds which you can make up for with an overclock, and more pcie lanes that won't make a difference really unless you do 3 or 4 way sli/cf (which is a terrible idea). 5820k vs 6700k is a more proper comparison.

If your mostly gaming: 6700k

If you do video editing or content creation with a good deal of your time: 5820k.

If you want to waste your money on something that only has a better sounding name and benefits that don't really make a difference: 5930k.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb