Do you believe violent video games are to blame for inciting mass murderers, as some researchers say?

Alterlai

it depends from person to person

some people are effected alot by what they see

my 11 year old  relative  has this issue

he was playing cod on his ps3 (stupid mother buy his affection with money) 

so when his cousin came in wanting to play he stood up and beat the hell  out of him and almost chocked him to death for disturbing him

if his mother wasn't there he could have died

he was never like this when he was younger

since playing cod for about 2 years he changed quite a bit

it ALWAYS depends from one person to the next

Funnily enough, when I was younger, my parents always said there was difference in my behaviour after I'd been playing video games.

I think it's all about context and experience.

A child doesn't have the life experience to differentiate between reality and the video game, therefore I think it has more of an effect.

There's a reason games have age ratings, it makes me sick to see young children playing violent games. Especially when they laugh at violent scenes and other such behaviours. My ex-gf's brothers were awfully violent, and I think violent media was to blame to a large extent.

Do I think that video games are a root cause to murder and other such behaviours? No. Do I think they can have an effect on someone's behaviour? Yes, undoubtedly

i blame media.... wait... people... wait education... 

how about all the above, its influence that defines people, human history is proof of that.

Character artist in the Games industry.

This question is wrong and can result in multiple answers:

1. For most the people, that have common sense, a violent game, books or even board games are a separate thing, and do not translate into real world. So the answer is: No, violent video games do not incite mass murderers.

2. Not all people are born or ever develop common sense, and can translate violence they see in their home, surroundings, books, games etc. Violent games can be bought with no restrictions, i mean come on, parents walk into a store and buy their kid a CoD game..., sooner or later someone will translate violent behavior into the real world. So the answer here is: Violent games could incite a mentally unstable person to commit crimes, even murder.

The answer is not that simple. Modern day games have become very realistic, and when i was a kid games were similar looking to a cartoon, so it was different. Golden Axe, Mario, SF2, TMNT games for NES, AoE, Warcraft etc.

I remember first time playing Quake, that was the first game ever that made me almost s**t my pants, i was a kid, less than 10 years old. Modern games look super realistic, and even put you into characters that commit immoral acts of violence, killing innocent people like it's nothing, taking revenge, etc.

I love the god of war series, frankly Kratos is a badass, but also a major d**k in a lot of cases, and he is just one of characters like that.

Another reason i would say it might make people do bad stuff, is the fact that if you are an adult person you can separate fiction from fact, but a lot of the times children can't, not all of us have developed equally, and can make children aggressive, and that translates into adulthood. I was always a quiet kid, and never got into fights, and i enjoy peace and quiet, even when playing with my friends, but i also knew kids that were like: "I am wolverine" and ran across the classroom and hits other students for no reason.

So my conclusion is that you can't say it's the game's fault, i say bad parenting, and disregard are the main reason people become violent, but i also would say, some games are not for all ages, and that is the thing that parent's need to watch over! Postal is not a game for an 8 year old...

You worded it much better than I did. This is exactly what I was attempting to say in my previous post.

I couldn't agree more!

Funnily enough, when I was younger, my parents always said there was difference in my behaviour after I'd been playing video games.

I think it's all about context and experience.

A child doesn't have the life experience to differentiate between reality and the video game, therefore I think it has more of an effect.

There's a reason games have age ratings, it makes me sick to see young children playing violent games. Especially when they laugh at violent scenes and other such behaviours. My ex-gf's brothers were awfully violent, and I think violent media was to blame to a large extent.

Do I think that video games are a root cause to murder and other such behaviours? No. Do I think they can have an effect on someone's behaviour? Yes, undoubtedly

100% agree with you

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Do you believe violent video games are to blame for inciting mass murderers, as some researchers say?

No. I've played many violent video games and never once had a desire to rip someone's head off or beat down hookers with a baseball bat. Individuals that do these acts were already unstable before they even held a video game controller.

No I don't think you will get a mass murderer, because of a Game and for sure not when your 14+.
But I think it can effect "Kids" very strong there is a reason for Ratings on Games and Movies.
Last time I went to a Local Game store and there where Kids( they looked like they where about 9) and they where talking about Dead Space 3 and how they liked the first 2 Games. :blink: 
I don't think any "Kid" can be normal when he plays games like Dead Space.

RTX2070OC 

No I don't think you will get a mass murderer, because of a Game and for sure not when your 14+.

But I think it can effect "Kids" very strong there is a reason for Ratings on Games and Movies.

Last time I went to a Local Game store and there where Kids( they looked like they where about 9) and they where talking about Dead Space 3 and how they liked the first 2 Games. :blink: 

I don't think any "Kid" can be normal when he plays games like Dead Space.

Completely agree with you

There have been mass murderers for ages, even before video games made their way into our lives.

Video games aren't the problem, we are.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

You worded it much better than I did. This is exactly what I was attempting to say in my previous post.

I couldn't agree more!

Ty very much man!!

There have been mass murderers for ages, even before video games made their way into our lives.

Video games aren't the problem, we are.

Yes, but every time someone has to find a scapegoat for society's problems

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Of course not. No one ever blamed violent books for murders because books have existed for a long time.

Angry old people don't understand new technology so they blame things on them.

our countries are ruled by grampas that cant understand and accept changes,,,im not saying newer generation will do any better but ill be more open minded thats for sure  :D

PC Gaming forever...

VIDEO GAMES TILL I DIE !!!! YAAAAYYYY !!!! :P

PC Gaming forever...

I don't think crime dropping was because of games

Well no. Correlation does not imply causation. However, if video games really did make people violent, then we would expect to see a rise in violent crimes when video games became popular, and the exact opposite happened. Other facts are at play as well but I wasn't really arguing that "video games make people less violent", what I meant was that "the statistics indicate that people don't become violent by playing violent video games".

In reality its Violence that creates more violet video games, just look what came first, violence or violent video games? Violence, so if it wasn't for violence there would be no violent video games. Down with non-video game violence!

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Well no. Correlation does not imply causation. However, if video games really did make people violent, then we would expect to see a rise in violent crimes when video games became popular, and the exact opposite happened. Other facts are at play as well but I wasn't really arguing that "video games make people less violent", what I meant was that "the statistics indicate that people don't become violent by playing violent video games".

Crime and games are inherently different, so why did you include that correlation? If it's not causation you were implying, then what was the purpose of that statement?

Edit: I've read your whole post. Just saying you could've worded it better.

Absolutely not. Most people who believe this garbage are old people anyway.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I think there may be a possibility that violent games could trigger violence behaviour if the person is prone to violent behaviour anyway, but violent games aren't going to make non violent people go and attack people.

Beside, taking away the rights of the vast majoirty to prevent the actions of a tiny minority (assuming that violent games even contribute to violence) is wrong. ie see guns, alcohol, cars, etc, etc.

I think there may be a possibility that violent games could trigger violence behaviour if the person is prone to violent behaviour anyway, but violent games making non violent people go and attack people either way.

Beside, taking away the rights of the vast majoirty to prevent the actions of a tiny minority (assuming that violent games even contribute to violence) is wrong. ie see guns, alcohol, cars, etc, etc.

Couldn't agree more if you have a violent nature sooner or later something will trigger it unless you get lucky also if we banned everything that a psychopath had been in contact with because it could have triggered it we wouldn't have anything left

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

Couldn't agree more if you have a violent nature sooner or later something will trigger it unless you get lucky also if we banned everything that a psychopath had been in contact with because it could have triggered it we wouldn't have anything left

And possibly, violent games may act as a form of release for a violent nature/tensions.

And possibly, violent games may act as a form of release for a violent nature/tensions.

It's like your in my head :P

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

So which Violent Video Game did Osama Bin Ladden play?

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

So which Violent Video Game did Osama Bin Ladden play?

deus ex

I hope nobody gets this

It's like your in my head :P

Lol common sense is common, though it looks like it could be a little more common.

All we need to happen now is for M$, Sony, Nintendo and all the developers and publishers give away all their games for free. We can't blame them for being greedy, we can only blame ourselves for inciting all of the world problems. Wait.. Wat?!

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log