Windows 10 gets Lock screen Ads

Crazy Ginger

Source:  http://www.pcworld.com/article/3037396/windows

Looks like that free upgrade to Windows 10 is too good to be true, nothing in this world is ever free...

Over the past few days, Windows 10 users have reported having their lock screens taken over by advertisements forRise of the Tomb Raider. Microsoft started selling the game through the Windows Store last month, in what might be the start of a much bigger push into PC gaming.  Microsoft hasn’t hid its intentions to use the Windows 10 lock screen as a commercial billboard, having first discussed its plans during last year’s Build developers conference. Now, Microsoft appears to be making good on those promises, with How-To Geek’s Chris Stobing and at least one Reddit user having seen the Rise of the Tomb Raider ads themselves.

Thankfully, there is a way to disable this advertising.  To do this, go to your settings app, then to personalization, then lockscreen, and uncheck the box that says: "Get fun facts, tips, tricks, and more on your lock screen."

No wonder Microsoft wants you to upgrade so badly.  They want to milk ad revenue off of the operating system itself.  This method of advertising is only going to get more annoying when Microsoft stops the free upgrade program and starts double dipping by making money off you buying the software as well as using it and seeing adverts.  

Looks like I need to look for a lock screen ad-blocker!  /s

Edit: Fixed for dark theme users.  The mobile website doesn't have a button to remove formatting

5 minutes ago, trogdor10 said:

Windows 10 users have reported having their lock screens taken over by advertisements

The scientists at Microsoft were so busy wondering if they could, they never stopped to ask if they should.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

remove your formating its a mess on dark theme

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

16 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

The scientists at Microsoft were so busy wondering if they could, they never stopped to ask if they should.

Wisest words I've seen today. Thank you. Praise Lord Gaben.

Edit: @Nexxus look what's on the end. #highlightingmasterrace

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

This doesn't seem to be an issue for me, i am on pro and don't get that option under personalisation.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

35 minutes ago, FmPhenom said:

At least it can be disabled, CALM DOWN

I am calm, I am just providing personal input so it meets posting guidelines.  I also am not necessarily mad at Microsoft for doing this.  This is the cost of free software, adverts.  How else are you going to pay the developers for the operating system when everyone is getting it for free.

30 minutes ago, super_skank said:

This doesn't seem to be an issue for me, i am on pro and don't get that option under personalisation.

I don't have the option either and i have that splash screen disabled anyway.

As long as I don't start seeing ads for Ron Jeremy's six sneaky tips and "YOUR WIN PRIZE CLICK NOW CLAIM PRIZE" I don't really care. It's probably just something to do with live tiles being able to broadcast stuff on your lockscreen feature, go into privacy settings and turn all the background programs off will probably fix it.

2 hours ago, trogdor10 said:

-snip-

2 hours ago, FmPhenom said:

At least it can be disabled, CALM DOWN

It's not like they're advertising other companies products, it is their own products sold by microsoft so I don't really have a problem with it myself since they need to inform users of what's in their store.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

6 hours ago, trogdor10 said:

Source:  http://www.pcworld.com/article/3037396/windows

Looks like that free upgrade to Windows 10 is too good to be true, nothing in this world is ever free...

Thankfully, there is a way to disable this advertising.  To do this, go to your settings app, then to personalization, then lockscreen, and uncheck the box that says: "Get fun facts, tips, tricks, and more on your lock screen."

No wonder Microsoft wants you to upgrade so badly.  They want to milk ad revenue off of the operating system itself.  This method of advertising is only going to get more annoying when Microsoft stops the free upgrade program and starts double dipping by making money off you buying the software as well as using it and seeing adverts.  

Looks like I need to look for a lock screen ad-blocker!  /s

Edit: Fixed for dark theme users.  The mobile website doesn't have a button to remove formatting

does this affect people who buy windows 10 outright? i mean if i bought windows 10 id be mad if i was forced to have advertising (you know if they make you unable to disable)

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Repost:

Moving the topic away from tech news was a bad decision IMO 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

9 hours ago, trogdor10 said:

I am calm, I am just providing personal input so it meets posting guidelines.  I also am not necessarily mad at Microsoft for doing this.  This is the cost of free software, adverts.  How else are you going to pay the developers for the operating system when everyone is getting it for free.

W10 is not free, upgrading to W10 requires you to forfeit your previous paid license and this ads also target those who straight out paid for W10, just accept the fact that microsoft is double dipping and the money from single license sales is not enough to keep them happy.

And in what dictionnary "fun facts, tips, tricks"=advertising???????

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

That sucks a bit, but if there's a built in setting to disable it, I won't complain. Free comes with its perks...

On another note, I have disabled the "Lockscreen" from group policy editor the very first day I installed Win10, because who needs a useless lock screen on top of a login prompt screen, on a desktop computer. What annoyed me most with it enabled is that it would take a second before being able to type the password after leaving the lockscreen.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

10 hours ago, trogdor10 said:

As a developer, I totally agree.  People balk at paying for software, not realising the time, effort and literally sweat that has been put into it.  Windows 10 was a GIGANTIC piece of software developed over many year, with BA's Dev's Testers all involved.  You wouldn't go to the shop and expect to pick up a free piece of the latest hardware on release, or for that matter feel you have the right to steal it (pirate bay etc), why the hell is software different?  It is arguably more difficult to produce, takes years of understanding and a lot of effort.  Stop crying.

9 hours ago, SeriousDad69 said:

As long as I don't start seeing ads for Ron Jeremy's six sneaky tips and "YOUR WIN PRIZE CLICK NOW CLAIM PRIZE"

I wonder if Microsoft has the balls to do this. I mean they did program internet explorer to ask if you want it to be the default browser. Maybe someone will find an ad like that. Would be pretty funny if it did happen

The smartest idiot you will ever find

Already posted back in April 29 at last year BUILD event.

The feature is called Windows Spotlight. It shows you curated background from photographers (someone has to pay them), and every now and then it shows you Windows Store app ads, or Windows features that you didn't use.

If you need a recall:

Other members have noticed this and reported under the OS section in the past. This is nothing new.