What is the best software to brute force a 7zip file?

AManWithPlan

Dear LTT forum,

I know the password is 8 case sensitive alphanumeric characters; so 0-9 a-z and A-Z. This is about 48 bits of entropy.

What is the best software (most guesses per second based on my beefy computer hardware) that I can run to break this password? I would appreciate it if the software also tries all common passwords and their combinations (that fit 8 characters), pretty much a dictionary attack, prior to actually trying all possible combinations.

This should be exceptionally easy as I do not have to try any 1-7 length password combinations at all.

Amanwithplan

4 minutes ago, AManWithPlan said:

Dear LTT forum,

I know the password is 8 case sensitive alphanumeric characters; so 0-9 a-z and A-Z. This is about 48 bits of entropy.

What is the best software (most guesses per second based on my beefy computer hardware) that I can run to break this password? I would appreciate it if the software also tries all common passwords and their combinations (that fit 8 characters), pretty much a dictionary attack, prior to actually trying all possible combinations.

This should be exceptionally easy as I do not have to try any 1-7 length password combinations at all.

Amanwithplan

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

im sorry.. 

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

what are you an undercover agent of the FBI trying to get acess to an iphone or something ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just now, Ramamataz said:

Why is that?  What do you mean and why should we help you crack into a file we don't know the owner of?

It's a cryptography bet. Why does it even matter who owns what? A friend gave me a random 7zip file and challenged me to break into it.

for all we know, we could be helping you access someones passwords. 

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

4 minutes ago, AManWithPlan said:

Dear LTT forum,

Amanwithplan

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzcracker/

You're welcome

*puts sunglasses on* Haters gonna hate.

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

Just now, LiamApex said:

and your name doesn't help the matter either really...

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Just now, AManWithPlan said:

It's a cryptography bet. Why does it even matter who owns what? A friend gave me a random 7zip file and challenged me to break into it.

Cause we don't condone any type of criminal manner. But since you said it was a cryptography bet. I still don't know.

Most brute force attackers use their own programs to crack stuff like this.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Just now, LiamApex said:

Ok, and there's an anarchist cookbook that helps you make ricin and napalm. This is what anon is all about.

Either way, this is a cryptography challenge, nothing more.

1 minute ago, AManWithPlan said:

then the bet is about you finiding a way in

not me giving you a way in to then have you get the reward

I want 60% share of said reward

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just now, Ramamataz said:

Cause we don't condone any type of criminal manner. But since you said it was a cryptography bet. I still don't know.

Most brute force attackers use their own programs to crack stuff like this.

So pretty much there is just the crappy ones I've googled that make 1,000 guesses per second (which is trash)?

7 minutes ago, AManWithPlan said:

Dear LTT forum,

Amanwithplan

heh

Ok, and there's an anarchist cookbook that helps you make ricin and napalm. This is what anon is all about.

lets ask @colonel_mortis @tobben

Anarchist cookbook is so outdated lol. And half of the stuff doesn't even work example the napalm thing but that isn't even close to napalm

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

So even if this is not a cryptography challenge in any way, if you used a short/bad password, it's your fault.

Extract the hash (there are tools to do this) and then use Hashcat or oclHashcat depending if you have a strong CPU or GPU, done. Supports dict and bf.

Just now, AManWithPlan said:

I actually did try this one, it is extraordinarily slow. I would never break the password with it. I honestly thought 48 bits was cake, but it looks like I am wrong.

Ok, at least I tied :P

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

then the bet is about you finiding a way in

not me giving you a way in to then have you get the reward

I want 60% share of said reward

Haha, I am allowed to use any resources I can find to win this bet. But it's not a financial bet.

Haha, I am allowed to use any resources I can find to win this bet. But it's not a financial bet.

Be smart, upload the file somewhere so the entire internet can try and it will be done in no time.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

4 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Be smart, upload the file somewhere so the entire internet can try and it will be done in no time.

I like it, here you go internet. Win my bet for me.

Dropbox File

I like it, here you go internet. Win my bet for me.

Dropbox File

Pretty sure he didn't mean here.

Thanks for the virus, though.

Just now, KemoKa said:

Pretty sure he didn't mean here.

Thanks for the virus, though.

I have no idea what it is, I'm pretty sure it's not a virus.

I have no idea what it is, I'm pretty sure it's not a virus.

Which is another reason not to try cracking it.

I'll maybe try it when I acquire my army of Lenovo T400s.

so a quick google search got me this...

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/51900/forgot-password-to-7-zip-archive

you can follow the links and check out the programs mentioned there.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS