I'm fed up with working for little pay

DaltonM

Incoming rant...

So I am 21. I work at an internet service provider as a Logistics assistant/hardware technician. I make $10 USD an hour, minimum wage in my state is $8.25. I pay for health and car insurance, as well as I pay into my 401k. To meet the company match, I must pay $180 of each paycheck, so $360 a month, when I make $1100 a month tops. My health insurance is $140 a month, and my car insurance is $120 a month. My total monthly expenses before rent or anything else is $620 a month. That leaves me with $480 a month for rent, internet, food, school supplies, books, and anything else I might need. Rent for a 1 bedroom studio starts at $300 for the most run down, ghetto place I could find. 

How am I supposed to live like this? People will look me straight in the face and tell me to get a better job. That's exactly what I did. I am now working in my desired field (communications technology) and I am starting college in April. I used to work two jobs at McDonalds and Grocery store to barely scrape by. I am totally fine with working 14 hours a day, I don't care if I work two jobs, but I simply cannot because I am going to school. 

I am at my wits end trying to manage all these expenses. I could stop saving for retirement and make a little more money right now, but I feel terrible not saving when I have the chance. 

The worst part of this for me is that the company minimum, stated in the handbook, is $12 an hour. I make $10 because I didn't have a drives license (I do now). The VP of finance made this decision to keep my pay at $10 without telling me it's because of my license. I heard it kind sorta through some of the other people in my department. I work in a warehouse, I am holding my job description in my hand (I was forced to sign or get fired) and there's NOTHING about driving or even leaving the warehouse. 

I believe in paying my dues, but I literally do not make enough to pay them. I just want this cycle to end. In two months I will have worked here for a year. This is the longest I have ever worked without a raise. Had I stayed at McDonalds, I'd be making at least $12 an hour with scheduled raises as a Department Manager.. 

Welcome to the American dream, I am apparently living it. 

fun fact: I manage the companies ebay store and I have made more (pure profits) for the company than they have ever payed me. I am basically paying for myself through my own work.

/rant

"Let's build a time machine, so I really can make a little bit more money" - The Money Pit

Also, inb4imanentitledmillenial. If I could do anything better, please let me know. Tell me how to get a high paying job that will pay the bills and put me through school so I can pay for a family. 

I understand your pain and frustrations. I worked for $2 an hour once and I barely had the money to even eat (lots of ramens for dinner). It sucks so bad and it is beyond stressful. But all you have to do is just hang in there, it will get better, I promise. And I know you said you can't because of school, but it sounds like this job is not only stressful for you but unwilling to pay you what you deserve (and legally deserve?) to earn so you need to leave it and find a different job, it might have to be one you hate, but if you can earn more at McDonalds you should go back to McDonalds. At least then you are making a bit more money with raises.

Alternatively, you could look into the Army Reserves (etc). It could help you tremendously.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

That sucks...  Sorry to hear that. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Albatross said:

I understand your pain and frustrations. I worked for $2 an hour once and I barely had the money to even eat (lots of ramens for dinner). It sucks so bad and it is beyond stressful. But all you have to do is just hang in there, it will get better, I promise. And I know you said you can't because of school, but it sounds like this job is not only stressful for you but unwilling to pay you what you deserve (and legally deserve?) to earn so you need to leave it and find a different job, it might have to be one you hate, but if you can earn more at McDonalds you should go back to McDonalds. At least then you are making a bit more money with raises.

Alternatively, you could look into the Army Reserves (etc). It could help you tremendously.

No way jose I am going to the army to fight for a country that doesn't serve me. To fight a war for a 1% special interest group. Hell no. 

I am considering going back to McDonalds. But I won't leave until I at least ASK for a raise. If they say no, I am waiting for the busy season before I leave to really stick it to them. 

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

I can't even work jobs like that due to different disabilities, and survive off death benefits.  You make more than me, and ya college will drain ya fast.  I'm trying to avoid loans, and going for grants only.  Grants you only have to pay back if you screw up.  Loans are a true bitch that I don't wanna get involved with.

Exactly, fuck a loan. I am trying to avoid debt but I honestly might not even have a choice 

At least you have a job and can work full time. I have trouble finding a job, and my last job we weren't allowed to work more than 29 hours a week. Made $10-something an hour, but nope, no full time. Because the state of Virginia doesn't want to have to pay for health insurance for its employees.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Do not get a loan. If you are struggling now and can't get out of this, the debt will eat you alive. Just don't do it.

3 hours ago, DaltonM said:

No way jose I am going to the army to fight for a country that doesn't serve me. To fight a war for a 1% special interest group. Hell no. 

I am considering going back to McDonalds. But I won't leave until I at least ASK for a raise. If they say no, I am waiting for the busy season before I leave to really stick it to them. 

America isn't letting you down, don't give up on her just yet. Besides, I did say Reserves. Chances are extremely high you will never ever see war and you can always go for a "desk job". Serve for the minimum amount of years and you are better off than you are now. But I guess I'm just saying that because I grew up learning the "beggars can't be choosers" bit and it has always been true.

But that's a very good idea. I hope it goes well for you, I truly do.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

At least you have a job and can work full time. I have trouble finding a job, and my last job we weren't allowed to work more than 29 hours a week. Made $10-something an hour, but nope, no full time. Because the state of Virginia doesn't want to have to pay for health insurance for its employees.

I turned down 5 interviews to work here :| I have no problem finding just any job. But finding one that pays a living wage is impossible

1 minute ago, Albatross said:

Do not get a loan. If you are struggling now and can't get out of this, the debt will eat you alive. Just don't do it.

America isn't letting you down, don't give up on her just yet. Besides, I did say Reserves. Chances are extremely high you will never ever see war and you can always go for a "desk job". Serve for the minimum amount of years and you are better off than you are now. But I guess I'm just saying that because I grew up learning the "beggars can't be choosers" bit and it has always been true.

But that's a very good idea. I hope it goes well for you, I truly do.

Honestly, I would rather go into the reserves than take out a loan.  Even if it means serving a country I despise. Because who can afford to have principals, right? 

1 minute ago, DaltonM said:

I turned down 5 interviews to work here :| I have no problem finding just any job. But finding one that pays a living wage is impossible

Honestly, I would rather go into the reserves than take out a loan.  Even if it means serving a country I despise. Because who can afford to have principals, right? 

I can never get companies to call me back or even give me the time of day, even though I have a clean record. It's fucking infuriating. If I call them, they give me the whole "corporate makes those decisions" run around.

Hopefully now that I have an AS degree in Network Security, I'll at least be able to find something better than flipping burgers or ringing up drunk people. $1100 a month sounds awesome to me. That's more than I've ever made at any job.

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

I can never get companies to call me back or even give me the time of day, even though I have a clean record. It's fucking infuriating. If I call them, they give me the whole "corporate makes those decisions" run around.

My tips I give everyone is apply over and over again, and call everyday and ASK for an interview. I got my first job at McDonalds the 4th time I applied. I called and got the GM, introduced myself and asked her when she'd interview me lol. She said she'd never been asked for an interview before. 3 months later I was running a store by myself. 

1 minute ago, DaltonM said:

My tips I give everyone is apply over and over again, and call everyday and ASK for an interview. I got my first job at McDonalds the 4th time I applied. I called and got the GM, introduced myself and asked her when she'd interview me lol. She said she'd never been asked for an interview before. 3 months later I was running a store by myself. 

Nice. I'll keep that in mind. Right now I'm just trying to find something, ANYTHING entry level in the IT industry.

Tired of flipping burgers lol

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

Nice. I'll keep that in mind. Right now I'm just trying to find something, ANYTHING entry level in the IT industry.

Make it easier for them to hire you than to keep getting your calls lol 

If you don't believe in the system, she can't work for ya. :( but yea, even working for something you hate > getting debts. 

Keep us updated on the situation. Hopefully your current job will wise up.

Just now, Albatross said:

If you don't believe in the system, she can't work for ya. :( but yea, even working for something you hate > getting debts. 

Keep us updated on the situation. Hopefully your current job will wise up.

The system has worked for someone with that millions of dollars for decades now. 

Are there any internal job opportunities with your company that you could apply for? Or have you tried to renegotiate your hourly rate? Imo, your goal within a company should be to advance your position once per 18 months (or more if you can manage) or until you get to a point your satisfied with work/pay. If your company can't provide those opportunities, look elsewhere for those opportunities. 

Personal anecdote, when I started with my current company, I was working for a little over $1 of minimum wage. 2 years later, I'm now making double the state minimum since I've sought after better positions within the same company (started in sales and moved quickly into IT). I went through about 5 job titles to get there, and I started as part-time and eventually got into full-time along the way. None of which was handed to me, I had to interview against fellow coworkers and outside candidates to secure my spots.

The system has worked for someone with that millions of dollars for decades now. 

That's because they believed in the system. Now they make millions. :P

38 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

fun fact: I manage the companies ebay store and I have made more (pure profits) for the company than they have ever payed me. I am basically paying for myself through my own work.

Not that I'm saying my situation is worse, but I usually make my company $1,000-5,000/day and make $10.50/hour.

Shit sucks. Say hi to capitalism and shitty employers for me.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

i fully understand your situation. if it helps here is my situation:

im 24 now. when i was 16 i enlisted in a private school (notice i dint have rich parents) and barely paid everything myself with help of a big loan from the bank. for 2 years i had barely enough to eat while my class mates where partying every other night. so then i started getting involved in some not so glamorous activities to get more cash. then i got busted did 18 months time and still managed to get that education. for 2 years now im working as a Software developer and it consultant. it sounds fancy but from back then i got bill for the bank loan and court bills from when i got busted. so now while i am lucky enough to make what others would consider decent money i still only get enough out of it to barely pay the bills and live sonce i also support my parents now since my dad lost his job. 

maybe point is that we all got our problems. i have learned to not blame other and work on finding a way to get where i need to be.

the harder live is the stronger it proofs you are if you still manage to handle it.

also we are both still young try to plan for the bigger picture. things might be hard now but you need to think about how they could get better down the road.

this may not be helpful at all but just know that this is coming from a guys who empathizes with your situation. keep a smile on at all times ;)

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

18 minutes ago, Albatross said:

That's because they believed in the system. Now they make millions. :P

Because they've rigged the system to favor themselves and their interests. It was possible for my parents to make millions, but my generation has the odds stacked against them. 

4 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

Because they've rigged the system to favor themselves and their interests. It was possible for my parents to make millions, but my generation has the odds stacked against them. 

No it doesn't. You just have to be smart about it. This generation is pretty much the same as the previous.

Work with the system, be shrewd, and be willing to accept that you won't be making a ton right off the bat. You'll do fine. 

As @Albatross said, believe in the system. You won't make much by actively working against it, or by whining about it.

I know people who have bonds (believe that's the term) with AT&T and are millionaires now. Some work it right, some force it. Either way it isn't always impossible for the little guy to get somewhere. It is just hard. :)

Lot of people think working at a fast food restaurant sucks because they get low pay. But if you work hard and go up the ranks, then your pay might get higher. Some do so well, they eventually get to own their own McD franchise. Want to have your own McD?

Then you'll need a minimum $500,000 of your own money, before they'll even consider it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

30 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Lot of people think working at a fast food restaurant sucks because they get low pay. But if you work hard and go up the ranks, then your pay might get higher. Some do so well, they eventually get to own their own McD franchise. Want to have your own McD?

Then you'll need a minimum $500,000 of your own money, before they'll even consider it.

I already know I am capable of doing this through McD. It's not what I want to do though. I would have never left McD if I hadn't foolishly believe that working in my desired field would be a better opportunity for me 

9 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

I already know I am capable of doing this through McD. It's not what I want to do though. I would have never left McD if I hadn't foolishly believe that working in my desired field would be a better opportunity for me 

Dream job may sometimes not be your dream job, maybe it actually is.  Between these 2 work places, who knows what your life will be like in 5,10 or 25 years. Is your dream job your actual dream job or is it actually McDonald's, other fast food restaurants, or a restaurant of your very own. You've discovered that you have the skills be a manager at McDonalds, so maybe working at the food business, might be your road to a successful and financially stable future. Saw on reddit that there are 2 type of McDs, ones that are own my McDonald's themselves the others own by a franchisee. Those run by McD themselves offer better things.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/3h14uk/whats_so_wrong_with_working_for_mcdonalds/

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list