Intel i5-4590 bottlenecking MSI GTX 980Ti

Daedalus Apex
Go to solution Solved by dizmo,
4 minutes ago, Monarch said:

There's so much bad advice on LTT it's unreal. People are told to buy i5's and then when they have stuttering and fps drops in CPU-bound scenarios they blame developers for "not optimizing" the game.

I highly doubt you'd find a game struggling with an i5.

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Eh blow me, I don't have either. I have an Altex.

Damn, I won't tell you I got mine for 250us. Oops.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

I have Fry's too ;) Living in the Dallas/Metroplex area gets you access to tons of big stores like that. Fry's sells lots of computer parts too, but things like CPU's and motherboards are cheaper at Micro Center. I bought my Z97S SLI Krait (I know, faulty RAM slots, if it's faulty I don't mind returning it) from Micro Center for $109+tax. Though, I get tons of stuff at Fry's, since their price match policy is so good. I got my 850 EVO 240GB there for $75, since it was on sale at Amazon and I price matched it.

Did you just get a bad Krait or is that a known problem? I hope it's not the latter since I'm running a Z97S Krait lol.

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Yeah well, the hooker I went to after church today gave me a freebie.

1440259634299.jpg.41e949abdf2dcc041260b6

3 hours ago, Monarch said:

1. 2500k at 4.6 GHz vs 6700K at 4 GHz:

2.  3570k vs 6700K:

https://youtu.be/GQJ9lnqZKhI?t=8m36s

40 vs 60 fps in with grass physics.

3. 3570k vs 6700K both at 4.2 GHz

https://youtu.be/WE0TaiTmr0w?t=3m36s

what is your point here. the ivy bridge performs awesome at 60 -70 fps. are you trying to compare a i5 with a i7 4 generations apart? are you trying to say the game doesn't run well on ivy? at those settings it is running great on both cpu's. are you saying that my statement about 2-10 fps between i5 and i7 in general is wrong? i clearly said between the same generation i5 and i7. there is barely more than that here in between opposing gens. were you agreeing and proving me statement right? these vids work very well with my statement so i guess thats it......speak man

4 hours ago, Daedalus Apex said:

Ugh, well, I dont even fuckking know. There is no clear answer here. Too many people assume and don't come with facts.

You're getting a i7 right? Doesn't really matter if your i5 is gonna bottleneck you now. And its not like you're gonna have a dirt shit experience with your i5. I wasted money on a 4670K that can't overclock so I basically bought a overpriced locked i5. I have a 390x that comes with higher driver overhead but I'm still here playing games. 

Stil playing fo4 gta 5, watchdogs and all my mmos without a hitch. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

10 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Did you just get a bad Krait or is that a known problem? I hope it's not the latter since I'm running a Z97S Krait lol.

Not mine, but apparently that's a more common problem on the Z97S SLI Krait motherboards than on other ones. If you don't have the issue, it won't develop over time- it would be a manufacturing defect, so the DIMM slots wouldn't have worked from the start. It wasn't on every one, there wasn't even a recall for a specific model or anything. 

I used to be quite active here.

14 hours ago, App4that said:

there always is bottleneck, but does it matter for the most part?

I bet your i7 still can't run minecraft

P.S. how do you add youtube frames? what tags are you using?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

9 hours ago, Conan1600 said:

what is your point here. the ivy bridge performs awesome at 60 -70 fps. are you trying to compare a i5 with a i7 4 generations apart? are you trying to say the game doesn't run well on ivy? at those settings it is running great on both cpu's. are you saying that my statement about 2-10 fps between i5 and i7 in general is wrong? i clearly said between the same generation i5 and i7. there is barely more than that here in between opposing gens. were you agreeing and proving me statement right? these vids work very well with my statement so i guess thats it......speak man

When there's a lot of stuff going on in a game, the 4790K destroys 4690K:

https://youtu.be/b6LUufXCPDM?t=3m14s

There's up to ~30 fps difference. 

You can also see huge difference here:

https://youtu.be/N0HlPN-69ck?t=1m12s

This is in Fallout 4:

st7oWFl.png

Huge difference in both average and minimum fps.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

1 hour ago, Monarch said:

When there's a lot of stuff going on in a game, the 4790K destroys 4690K:

https://youtu.be/b6LUufXCPDM?t=3m14s

There's up to ~30 fps difference. 

You can also see huge difference here:

https://youtu.be/N0HlPN-69ck?t=1m12s

This is in Fallout 4:

st7oWFl.png

Huge difference in both average and minimum fps.

you are trying to compare cpu process from i5 to i7. this has nothing to do with how well a system utilizes a gpu. we all know fallout 4 is on the extreme end of cpu as is the case for a few games. 

this shows the difference in a 4690 and 4790 fairly well in fallout 4. so whats your point? the i5 even in the worst setups for a i5 vs i7 still does its job amazingly well and does not lag behind the i7 in gaming. while you can search till your hearts desire a i7 will always perform cpu processes better than an i5 but will utilize the gpu to its potential. look at the gpu usage of the 980ti in fallout 4 mate. it isn't holding the gpu back rather the cpu simply doesnt have as many thread or as high a clock or cache

27 minutes ago, Conan1600 said:

you are trying to compare cpu process from i5 to i7. this has nothing to do with how well a system utilizes a gpu. we all know fallout 4 is on the extreme end of cpu as is the case for a few games. 

this shows the difference in a 4690 and 4790 fairly well in fallout 4. so whats your point? the i5 even in the worst setups for a i5 vs i7 still does its job amazingly well and does not lag behind the i7 in gaming. while you can search till your hearts desire a i7 will always perform cpu processes better than an i5 but will utilize the gpu to its potential. look at the gpu usage of the 980ti in fallout 4 mate. it isn't holding the gpu back rather the cpu simply doesnt have as many thread or as high a clock or cache

If the i7 produces 80 fps and the i5 64 fps then that means the i5 is bottlenecking the GPU because the GPU is capable of producing 80 fps, but it needs an i7 to be able to do so.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

3 minutes ago, Monarch said:

If the i7 produces 80 fps and the i5 64 fps then that means the i5 is bottlenecking the GPU because the GPU is capable of producing 80 fps, but it needs an i7 to be able to do so.

nope. that means that the cpu is performing cpu functions better than the i5 cpu. its all about gpu utilization for bottlenecks . look at crysis running on the same system with different gpu and cpu. big ol cpu bound game

I game on an i5 4690K and a GTX 980 Ti. I also doubt you really struggle in games because of your hardware.

The i5 4590 is a pretty powerful CPU in my opinion.

[never touch a running system]

16 hours ago, Monarch said:

I'm not even gonna bother. I'll get attacked by a bunch of fanboys and smartasses who are going to say my sources suck, I take things out of context, etc. and I'm sick of dealing with them. I'm just saying OP should do a thorough research and not trust anyone here. 99% of advice here is bullshit.

.... i dont even.. what? almost any relevant I5 wont even bottleneck a titan X dude. like really. if you dont want to get atacked dont say that people are spitting bullshit :) its not that hard to be nice is it? if you can claim that someone is giving bad advice please just give some better advice yourself

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Conan1600 said:

nope. that means that the cpu is performing cpu functions better than the i5 cpu. its all about gpu utilization for bottlenecks . 

Sigh. The CPU is the brain that gives instructions to the GPU. You couldn't get 80 fps if the GPU wasn't capable of producing 80 fps. The fact that i5 feeds the 980 64 fps worth of data and the i7 feeds it data for 80 fps means the GPU is perfectly capable of producing 80 fps, but it needs an i7 to feed it because the i5 can't fully feed it.

2 minutes ago, Monarch said:

Sigh. The CPU is the brain that gives instructions to the GPU. You couldn't get 80 fps if the GPU wasn't capable of producing 80 fps. The fact that i5 feeds the 980 64 fps worth of data and the i7 feeds it data for 80 fps means the GPU is perfectly capable of producing 80 fps, but it needs an i7 to feed it because the i5 can't fully feed it.

dude. 100% gpu utilization is 100%.you dont just get fps from gpu

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

.... i dont even.. what? almost any relevant I5 wont even bottleneck a titan X dude. like really. if you dont want to get atacked dont say that people are spitting bullshit :) its not that hard to be nice is it? if you can claim that someone is giving bad advice please just give some better advice yourself

Read the rest of the posts please. Thank you.

Just now, Conan1600 said:

dude. 100% utilization is 100%.

Except the GPU wasn't at 100% utilization with the i5. If it was it wouldn't produce more fps with the i7 because the GPU would be the bottleneck.

2 hours ago, DXMember said:

there always is bottleneck, but does it matter for the most part?

I bet your i7 still can't run minecraft

P.S. how do you add youtube frames? what tags are you using?

xD on accident. I put the link first and started typing before the link and when I dropped the link below what I typed the link remained. 

I know there's always a bottleneck, As you said I have one with my 4790k even. I committed because people were lying and saying the OP would have one, or lose performance. Which is a flat out lie. 

2 minutes ago, Monarch said:

Except the GPU wasn't at 100% utilization with the i5. If it was it wouldn't produce more fps with the i7 because the GPU would be the bottleneck.

did you bother to look at the stats in vidwo? it is maxing the gpu mate. you do not just get fps from gpu

5 minutes ago, Monarch said:

Read the rest of the posts please. Thank you.

kay, didnt feel like reading 4 pages of stuff so il just leve here and just ignore this for now

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Conan1600 said:

did you bother to look at the stats in vidwo? it is maxing the gpu mate. you do not just get fps from gpu

you don't?

better http://downloadmoreram.com

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

11 minutes ago, Monarch said:

100% on a gtx 980 with a i5 3570