Intel i5-4590 bottlenecking MSI GTX 980Ti

Daedalus Apex
Go to solution Solved by dizmo,
4 minutes ago, Monarch said:

There's so much bad advice on LTT it's unreal. People are told to buy i5's and then when they have stuttering and fps drops in CPU-bound scenarios they blame developers for "not optimizing" the game.

I highly doubt you'd find a game struggling with an i5.

Will my i5-4590 be bottlenecking the GTX 980 (MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G)

(I'm planning to upgrade to a 4790K later, but the 4590 has to do for now.)

EDIT:

I MENT 980 NOT TI.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2G Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB CASE: NZXT H440 New Edition RED/BLACK

No. As in: you're good.

I used to be quite active here.

Highly doubt you'd need much more than a 4590. Not to a noticeable amount at least, especially if you're running a 1080p monitor.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

noope, no bottlenecking here :D your fine with almost any I5

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4GB isn't a GTX 980Ti?

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

12 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

the titan x is a diffrent story

980 and Titan X are not that diffirent, right?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2G Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB CASE: NZXT H440 New Edition RED/BLACK

Just now, VirusStorm said:

the titan x is a diffrent story

The Titan X has the same performance as a 980ti.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

It's fine. No bottlenecks for the most part

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, DEcobra11 said:

No

Also that's a 980, not 980Ti

Yeah MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G, not 980Ti. Typo in mainpost. Fixed it.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

So a 10fps or more loss is fine? 

Just gonna...do this...

10 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

It's fine. No bottlenecks for the most part

Of course, every game treats the hardware differently. Some games will run on a Pentium just fine, others will hog up system resources like bastards (hi there, ARMA!).

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

4 minutes ago, Daedalus Apex said:

Yeah MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G, not 980Ti. Typo in mainpost. Fixed it.

You'll be fine. No need to get absurd hardware like other people. i5 + 980 is going to be fine

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, daniellearmouth said:

Just gonna...do this...

Of course, every game treats the hardware differently. Some games will run on a Pentium just fine, others will hog up system resources like bastards (hi there, ARMA!).

But the title is clear, and asks if there will be a bottleneck. The answer is yes. The severity of which will vary from application to application.

Does that mean don't get the 980, absolutely not. It will work better than their 960 until such time they can afford a 4790k, which is awesome by the way OP. 

But don't lie to the OP. That's bs. 

If you're aiming for 120+ fps at 1080p then yeah, an i5-4590 is going to significantly limit your 980 Ti. If you're shooting for 60 fps it won't much; you'll still have to turn down stuff like shadows and draw distance in some games to lock to 60 fps, but that's the only concern if targeting 60 fps.

Just now, App4that said:

But the title is clear, and asks if there will be a bottleneck. The answer is yes. The severity of which will vary from application to application.

Does that mean don't get the 980, absolutely not. It will work better than their 960 until such time they can afford a 4790k, which is awesome by the way OP. 

But don't lie to the OP. That's bs. 

Nowhere did I say there would be no bottleneck. My only two entries into the discussion are this post and the former where I pointed out that it would be fine for the most part.

Only when you are pushing one component or the other are you going to experience the eventual bottleneck.

Hell, my system is completely out of whack. Two mid-tier GPUs from nearly five years ago in a rig with a six-core i7 and 32GB of RAM is certain to cause some level of bottlenecking.

So what am I saying?

Basically, be pragmatic about it. Yes, there will be a bottleneck, but it's only when the user is going to be pushing either side of the hardware to its extremes to the point where the other side can't keep up.

Is this the same as me saying there is no bottleneck? No. As I've said three times in this post already, there will be a bottleneck, but you will have to go out of your way to find it.

DAYTONA

1 minute ago, daniellearmouth said:

Nowhere did I say there would be no bottleneck. My only two entries into the discussion are this post and the former where I pointed out that it would be fine for the most part.

Only when you are pushing one component or the other are you going to experience the eventual bottleneck.

Hell, my system is completely out of whack. Two mid-tier GPUs from nearly five years ago in a rig with a six-core i7 and 32GB of RAM is certain to cause some level of bottlenecking.

So what am I saying?

Basically, be pragmatic about it. Yes, there will be a bottleneck, but it's only when the user is going to be pushing either side of the hardware to its extremes to the point where the other side can't keep up.

Is this the same as me saying there is no bottleneck? No. As I've said three times in this post already, there will be a bottleneck, but you will have to go out of your way to find it.

No, you'll find it in any CPU intensive game, but I agree with the rest of your post. 

55 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

No. As in: you're good.

55 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Highly doubt you'd need much more than a 4590. Not to a noticeable amount at least, especially if you're running a 1080p monitor.

53 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

noope, no bottlenecking here :D your fine with almost any I5

51 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

name any game. It wont bottleneck

50 minutes ago, N_Bot said:

Not an issue here.

21 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

You'll be fine. No need to get absurd hardware like other people. i5 + 980 is going to be fine

15 minutes ago, daniellearmouth said:

So what am I saying?

There's so much bad advice on LTT it's unreal. People are told to buy i5's and then when they have stuttering and fps drops in CPU-bound scenarios they blame developers for "not optimizing" the game.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

1 minute ago, Monarch said:

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Hey, dude, maybe instead of telling us we're giving bad advice, you should give some good advice! Or at least try to tell us what we're saying wrong. You yourself are outfitted with an i5 and a 970, do you have crazy stutter issues? I would like to know!

I used to be quite active here.

4 minutes ago, Monarch said:

I highly doubt you'd find a game struggling with an i5.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, Kobathor said:

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Hey, dude, maybe instead of telling us we're giving bad advice, you should give some good advice!

I'm not even gonna bother. I'll get attacked by a bunch of fanboys and smartasses who are going to say my sources suck, I take things out of context, etc. and I'm sick of dealing with them. I'm just saying OP should do a thorough research and not trust anyone here. 99% of advice here is bullshit.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

1 minute ago, Monarch said:

Uhhhhh......what u chattin u cheeki bugga

In all seriousness, though, I fail to see what's "bad advice" about recommending an i5.

Not all games are CPU-bound. There are a good few, but not all of them are.

And even then, games don't often use more than two threads, and very VERY few use as many as four threads.

And not only that, but most of the time it IS the fault of the developer. I'm a developer. I know when a game has been terribly optimised. Tower of Guns on PS4 is a stellar example of bad optimisation.

Is it wrong for people to not point the finger at developers for poor optimisation for a game they bought a reasonably pricey computer for? No. If it's badly optimised, it needs fixing.

DAYTONA