Need new PSU for new GPU

JoePro87

Okay, I'm a bit of a noob, sorry. I have an Asus M52BC, and I am upgrading it from the R9 270 that came with it, to the R9 390. After having purchased it (like the idiot I am), I realized my PSU isn't powerful enough to power that card. I'm looking at one on Newegg right now, that is only $40. The GPU says it needs 2 8 pin pci-e connectors for the power supply. The PSU I'm looking at says it has 2 6+2 pin pci-e connectors. Is that the same thing? Will it work? If not, can someone point me in the right direction? I need at least 700w total.

Here is the PSU I'm looking at. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148046

Thank you!

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

put all of your curent pc parts into pc part picker. this will give you a rough guide on what size power supply you need. i would advise that you dont scrimp on a psu though as it could affect the life span of your other components. yes 6+2 is the same thing

• CPU i7 4790k 4589.16MHz, Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe USB 3.1, RAM Corsair dominator platinum 16 gb 3977.3 MHz, GPU Nvidia 3080, Case Corsair 750d, Storage Samsung 850 pro 512gb, WD black 2tb, PSU Corsair HX1000i, Cooling Corsair H110i, Keyboard Corsair k95 RGB, Mouse Logitech G502 RGB, Monitor S2721DGFA, Sound Bose surround system, Operating system Windows 10

Thank you. The only problem I have had when trying to put my components into pcpartpicker is that I can't find my actual mobo model number on there. If I look up the PC model number, it is the M52BC. When I try to google what the mobo model # is, I just get M52BC, and I haven't been able to find that on pcpartpicker. Confusing, right?

Just now, JoePro87 said:

Thank you. The only problem I have had when trying to put my components into pcpartpicker is that I can't find my actual mobo model number on there. If I look up the PC model number, it is the M52BC. When I try to google what the mobo model # is, I just get M52BC, and I haven't been able to find that on pcpartpicker. Confusing, right?

the motherboard does not massively affect power consumption as long as the model on pc part picker is close it wont make a difference

• CPU i7 4790k 4589.16MHz, Motherboard Asus Z97 Deluxe USB 3.1, RAM Corsair dominator platinum 16 gb 3977.3 MHz, GPU Nvidia 3080, Case Corsair 750d, Storage Samsung 850 pro 512gb, WD black 2tb, PSU Corsair HX1000i, Cooling Corsair H110i, Keyboard Corsair k95 RGB, Mouse Logitech G502 RGB, Monitor S2721DGFA, Sound Bose surround system, Operating system Windows 10

Thank you. That actually really helps a lot!

10 minutes ago, JoePro87 said:

Thank you. That actually really helps a lot!

put the link to your parts page and ill look for a decent psu for you

This is about as close as I could get to my actual system build. Some things aren't exact, but are close. (RAM, HDD, things that shouldn't make a difference) The PSU listed is the one I found, and it is only $40 on newegg. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/82dLhM

4 minutes ago, JoePro87 said:

This is about as close as I could get to my actual system build. Some things aren't exact, but are close. (RAM, HDD, things that shouldn't make a difference) The PSU listed is the one I found, and it is only $40 on newegg. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/82dLhM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7kYszy have a look at this one 

Awesome. Thank you.

43 minutes ago, JoePro87 said:

Okay, I'm a bit of a noob, sorry. I have an Asus M52BC, and I am upgrading it from the R9 270 that came with it, to the R9 390. After having purchased it (like the idiot I am), I realized my PSU isn't powerful enough to power that card. I'm looking at one on Newegg right now, that is only $40. The GPU says it needs 2 8 pin pci-e connectors for the power supply. The PSU I'm looking at says it has 2 6+2 pin pci-e connectors. Is that the same thing? Will it work? If not, can someone point me in the right direction? I need at least 700w total.

Here is the PSU I'm looking at. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148046

Thank you!

That's a terrible PSU. Get something like a Seasonic G-series, EVGA GQ/GS/G2/B2 or Antec HCG.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

mate i'm a fan of making sure you have enough for all your crap. id go with a nice cheap cx 750. more than you need and i next to never have issues with cx line.....let the i don't build 600 pc's a year but i know what i'm talking about hate begin. or if ypur looking for a high end psu look in corsairs hx line

Well, mind you guys, I don't have a lot of money to throw around. The PSU being a cheaper component, I'm okay with getting one that is "just good enough" for now, and when I have more money, upgrading to something like an Antec. For now, I just need something that works. That's why I went with a $40 PSU. I kinda spent all my money on the GPU.

1 minute ago, JoePro87 said:

Well, mind you guys, I don't have a lot of money to throw around. The PSU being a cheaper component, I'm okay with getting one that is "just good enough" for now, and when I have more money, upgrading to something like an Antec. For now, I just need something that works. That's why I went with a $40 PSU. I kinda spent all my money on the GPU.

thats really not a smart thing to do or recommend doing. not only is a psu that cheap likely to die quickly you are also putting your other components at rick and are potentially shortening their life span. so well done you 

It's not a permanent solution. Just long enough to get something better. And, that shouldn't be more than a few weeks to a month.