Gigabyte Windforce 980 Ti Temperature Question

TunerSteve

I have a Gigabyte 980 Ti Windforce Xtreme Edition - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125837&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Video+Card+-+Nvidia-_-N82E16814125837&gclid=Cj0KEQiAl5u2BRC6yszC1_75v5wBEiQAD-hdzyBG08TELb9lminj2jxdP249YFQD92Mp7myFwRRCIygaAjwf8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

When pushed at max settings in Gaming or OC mode temperatures get up to 60 degrees celsius and the fan speed only gets to 40% in auto mode...

Is that safe? or should i make a custom fan setting?

Ive been manually putting the fans to max to get it into the 40s

Just curious if anyone else has any suggestions.

1 minute ago, TunerSteve said:

I have a Gigabyte 980 Ti Windforce Xtreme Edition - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125837&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Video+Card+-+Nvidia-_-N82E16814125837&gclid=Cj0KEQiAl5u2BRC6yszC1_75v5wBEiQAD-hdzyBG08TELb9lminj2jxdP249YFQD92Mp7myFwRRCIygaAjwf8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

When pushed at max settings in Gaming or OC mode temperatures get up to 60 degrees celsius and the fan speed only gets to 40% in auto mode...

60's is totally fine. i would only worry if it hits higher that 80 degrees. you're perfectly fine at 60's though:)

You don't have to worry until you hit 85+ degrees.  60 is pretty low for operating temps on air.

Unless you like the noise, I'd leave it on auto.  Anything past ~40-50% is pretty loud on any GPU cooler regardless of how silent the box says it is.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

2 minutes ago, TunerSteve said:

It's safe, but it is set up this way to help reduce the noise.  If you don't mind the noise, which I don't, I suggest doing a custom curve to bring temps down.  In theory, this should also help with OC'ing.

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

Just now, Low_Battery said:

It's safe, but it is set up this way to help reduce the noise.  If you don't mind the noise, which I don't, I suggest doing a custom curve to bring temps down.  In theory, this should also help with OC'ing.

We have almost the same build!!!! HAHA thats awesome!

3 minutes ago, TunerSteve said:

P.S.  I would be curious what kind of performance you are getting out of yours.  There are not a lot of Xtreme posts out, mostly G1.

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

Just now, TunerSteve said:

We have almost the same build!!!! HAHA thats awesome!

Great minds... :D

Just now, Low_Battery said:

P.S.  I would be curious what kind of performance you are getting out of yours.  There are not a lot of Xtreme posts out, mostly G1.

On RUST I am getting 101 FPS on a steady server consistently...ive seen it peak to 112 fps on maxed out settings.

On RUST I am getting 101 FPS on a steady server consistently...ive seen it peak to 112 fps on maxed out settings.

I don't have rust. What ASIC quality did you get? Have you tried OC'ing yet?

Also, another random question, do you have the LED color change option in OC Guru II? All the screen shots I see online show an option to change the LED colors...but mine doesnt give me an option for some weird reason..

2 minutes ago, Low_Battery said:

Also, another random question, do you have the LED color change option in OC Guru II? All the screen shots I see online show an option to change the LED colors...but mine doesnt give me an option for some weird reason..

Go to gigabytes website and download the new updated Utility...when I originally installed it from the CD it only gave me the option to change the brightness...

The updated utility gave me the ability to change the color.

And the only overclocking i did is the preset OC mode "+25mhz" i believe

Just now, TunerSteve said:

Go to gigabytes website and download the new updated Utility...when I originally installed it from the CD it only gave me the option to change the brightness...

The updated utility gave me the ability to change the color.

And the only overclocking i did is the preset OC mode "+25mhz" i believe

I looked on their website and it said I had the most current version (by version number), but I will try to dl and see what happens.

My ASIC is 76%.  The card was running at 1430mhz boost clock and 7200mhz on memory out of the box (well above the advertised 1317 and 7000 advertised).

I was able to get it stable at 1525mhz and 7350mhz without increasing the core voltage (mine is stock at 1.18), whereas increasing the voltage did little to nothing in terms of OC ability.

Of note, I did not attach the extra 6 pin power cable on my card, or on the PCI board, as my PSU doesn't have enough cables available. Going to maybe try splitting some and see if anything changes though, although I am under the impression that third power input on the card is only for LN2...

1 minute ago, Low_Battery said:

I looked on their website and it said I had the most current version (by version number), but I will try to dl and see what happens.

My ASIC is 76%.  The card was running at 1430mhz boost clock and 7200mhz on memory out of the box (well above the advertised 1317 and 7000 advertised).

I was able to get it stable at 1525mhz and 7350mhz without increasing the core voltage (mine is stock at 1.18), whereas increasing the voltage did little to nothing in terms of OC ability.

Of note, I did not attach the extra 6 pin power cable on my card, or on the PCI board, as my PSU doesn't have enough cables available. Going to maybe try splitting some and see if anything changes though, although I am under the impression that third power input on the card is only for LN2...

Yeah I have NO CLUE about LN2 - i requested Linus to make a video explain wtf it was haha

3 minutes ago, MacAlisterL said:

I think that is a bit overkill for these cards IMO...they run really cool as is, and creating a custom fan curve makes it so you never get outside of 50s / low 60s.

2 minutes ago, Low_Battery said:

I think that is a bit overkill for these cards IMO...they run really cool as is, and creating a custom fan curve makes it so you never get outside of 50s / low 60s.

replace the fans

yeah thats kind of...useless and waste of space/power consumption haha

Just now, MacAlisterL said:

replace the fans

but...why...?? the stock fans are awesome as is - why spend more money?

sounds like normal temps to me.

Motherboard - Asus Z97-WS ll Processor -Intel i7-4790K ll Cooling- Custom Loop ll RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB(2x8) @2400 ll Graphics Card  - EVGA GeForce GTX 980 TI ll PSU - Corsair AX 1200 Watts ll SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB ll HDD - seagate barracuda green 2TB & Seagate 4TB ll Case - Silverstone TJ11 ll Audio - Asus Xonar Essence STX  ll OS- Win 10 PRO 64-bit ll Keyboard- CM Storm QuickfireTK Green Switchesll Mouse- Logitech G502

Those temps are fine. If it was too high your fans would automatically ramp up.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

36 minutes ago, TunerSteve said:

You won't get into 40's unless you like the sound of launching rockets (I was going to say planes but that would have been unrealistic).

Yes it is safe to run your card in anything lower than 80°C. 82°C is the default temp target I think. You'd be better of running a less agressive fan curve to get rid of some noise.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

You won't get into 40's unless you like the sound of launching rockets (I was going to say planes but that would have been unrealistic).

Yes it is safe to run your card in anything lower than 80°C. 82°C is the default temp target I think. You'd be better of running a less agressive fan curve to get rid of some noise.

Noise is never an issue for me as the rig is tucked away nicely and noise cancelling headphones xD