OS for Gaming

dannyrg90

Hello all,

Currently in the process of building a my first gaming rig. I've built PC's before, but never one for strictly gaming. I prefer Windows 7 to 8, but I've heard from some that 8 will give me better gaming performance. 

If 8 does improve the gaming quality I am willing to go with it and just use some programs to make it feel more like Windows 7.

I'd love to know the general consensus on this topic from some veteran gamers.

Thanks for the help!

Dannyrg90

it's a more futureproof OS and does give a little more fps and updated direct X for sure I would go for it then use something like startisback to get it looking like Windows 7 if you hate 8

windows 8 to go! you will face a problem though like for a month or so on! but then it is ok!if you need more help,ask this man!

@GoodBytes

i also had done a same kind of topic"windows 8 help" and his answer was the best and he has been given the award for os........

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Windows 8 boots slightly faster and is a little more snappy. And apparently it's going to be the only OS to support DX 11.1, but it's not worth it in my opinion for how f*cking inconvenient it is to use without a tonne of third party software. The most annoying thing about it is that you don't have Windows aero. I'll be upgrading to Windows 7 ultimate as soon as I can..

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

Windows 8 boots slightly faster and is a little more snappy. And apparently it's going to be the only OS to support DX 11.1, but it's not worth it in my opinion for how f*cking inconvenient it is to use without a tonne of third party software. The most annoying thing about it is that you don't have Windows aero. I'll be upgrading to Windows 7 ultimate as soon as I can..

Wasn't it DirectX 11.2?

I've heard that some games don't actually work on windows 8.

And the performance difference that they speak of you probably won't even notice (it's not across the board either).

Windows 7 is a boss operating system and it's not loaded with crap.

I have windows 8 on my media PC and it's not very fun to use at all, although my mum likes it.

Windows 7 is on my main rig and I don't think I'll be changing it soon at all, because I just can't live with win 8.

I also don't like how it dynamically adjusts the base clock of my CPU, it just feels unstable for me.

Win 8 is actually pretty good to use on a touch screen interface but that's about it.

Anyways, that was my opinion on the matter

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Wasn't it DirectX 11.2?

11.1 and 11.2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

I'm using 7 as of now. Tried 8 on a friend's computer, didn't care for the environment. Waiting for Ubuntu or (insert Linux distribution here *Cough*Fedora*Cough*) to get better steam support.

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.3 ghz | Corsair H60 (Push/Pull)|  8GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1.6 ghz | Sapphire HD 7870 Oc'd | Biostar TA970 MOBO OCZ 750w  PSU | 2TB HDD + 120gb Kingston V300 SSD| Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer Case | SoundBlaster Audigy SE  Windows 7                                                                                      "I am a leaf on the wind, watch me..."   "You know nothing Jon Snauhh" "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

/Steam Profile/Folding@home stats/TekSyndicate Fourms/  \m/  RIP David Gold (1980-2011) \m/ RIP Peter Steele (1962-2010) \m/ RIP Chuck Schuldiner (1967-2001) \m/ RIP Dio (1942-2010) \m/ RIP Cliff Burton (1962-1986) \m/ RIP Dime (1966-2004)

You have 2 choices.

Go With Window s7, and stick with it forever, like XP users which are now forced to upgrade as their new computer isn't compatible with XP, and as they skip Vista, and Win7.. Win8 is a new wolrd for them. The learning curve is so steep its a wall.

Go with Windows 8, that's is what Microsoft decided to take, and will stick with. 8.1 has big improvements on the whole Start Screen, and it's something to expect Microsoft to polish and balance over time, much like the Start Menu in Windows 95.

Gaming performance on new hardware is very similar between Windows 8 and 7. Win8 being faster in most games. Windows 8 supports newer technology like UEFI (Windows 8 boot in about 6sec or so, from power button to desktop), new version of Direct, Storage Space to software RAID your any drives together, even some on USB and other on SATA, no problem, File History allowing you to go back in time on a file or folder, and more.

Windows 8 has a learning curve, but the great majority of people that actually decided to sit down, learn it, end up, after a month or so, liking it, in fact even prefer it over Windows 7.

I upgraded to Windows 8 on my gaming rig and altough it didn't really improve framerates (1-2 fps more here and there), I do notice that games feel smoother. I've seen some articles showing that average framerates are still roughly the same between 7 and 8, but minimums were far better in 8. 8 seems to give less microstuttering and framerate dips.

Also, like GoodBytes pointed out: 8 gives you other advantages. Altough, I stick to StartIsBack to hide all of that Modern UI business ;)

Bottom line: get 8, it works.

Windows 8. Although it won't improve game performance, it improves the general performance of the system (feels a lot snappier). 

Pretty much any game that runs on windows 7 will run on windows 8.

The new ui takes some time to get used to but now i find it great, however if you hate it you can always install a classic start menu program (cant remember the exact name).

I say that if you don't mind the "modern" approach that Microsoft is going with then get Windows 8, its faster than 7 and with my experience with it I had no problems with it. Its snappy, and the programs run well on it and getting Windows 8 might be better because its going to get the most recent software and support.

If you hate the Tiles, then go with 7. I myself prefer Windows 7 over 8, but staying recent might be more beneficial than going with a 7.

In the end its your preferences, but I'm guessing that 8 would be better for gaming..

Win 8

it may seem a bit alien at first but you can get start is back or start8

both of these look just like win 7 when installed

I have kinda the same problem, I have win 7 but a friend of mine gave me the win 8, and I don't know if I should upgrade? or is it downgrade lol?

Intel Core i5 760 @ 3.8Ghz ◆ ASUS P7P55D--E ◆ Corsair XMS3 8Gb ◆ nVidia GeForce GTX 470 ◆ 1Tb WD BLACK HDD ◆ 250Gb Seagate HDD ◆ OCZ SS2 600W ◆ WD 500Gb MyBook ◆ Corsair Vengeance 1500

new setup coming soon

MacBook Pro 2011 ◆ Intel Core i7 @ 2.2GHz ◆ Corsair 8Gb ◆ Samsung 840 120GB SSD ◆ 750Gb HDD ◆ AMD Radeon HD 6750M

Unless something catastrophic happens, I'll stick to Win 7 Ultimate. I question the direction Microsoft has been heading with Win 8 and the Xbox One. Not to mention the rumors of NSA backdoors littering Windows 8..deploy the tinfoil hats! :T

Windows 8,of and in itself is a memory hog unless u have a touch screen that has a fabulous cpu,ram config.,Otherwise,windows 7 is just fine for a gaming rig.

Unless something catastrophic happens, I'll stick to Win 7 Ultimate. I question the direction Microsoft has been heading with Win 8 and the Xbox One. Not to mention the rumors of NSA backdoors littering Windows 8..deploy the tinfoil hats! :T

I agree.BTW,I love mushkin redline:looks good in my rig too.;)

Windows 8,of and in itself is a memory hog unless u have a touch screen that has a fabulous cpu,ram config.,Otherwise,windows 7 is just fine for a gaming rig.

Windows 8 system requirements are the same OR LOWER (design spec) than Windows 7. On my machine it doesn't consume more RAM than 7 used to. On a fresh boot, it actually uses less RAM than my previous 7 installation.

Unless you were talking storage space...