How much salary/income does Linus and Luke make?

scoreman

I'm doing a LMG company profile for a school project and I'm wondering if anyone has information on a specific $ amount for how much Linus and Luke makes?

I've found some figures online ($17000 from Amazon Affiliation, Social Blade) but nothing too specific on them individually. Any ideas?

I hope this isn't too much of a personal question, but basically....it's for science.

10 minutes ago, scoreman said:

I'm doing a LMG company profile for a school project and I'm wondering if anyone has information on a specific $ amount for how much Linus and Luke makes?

I've found some figures online ($17000 from Amazon, Social Blade) but nothing too specific on them individually. Any ideas?

I hope this isn't too much of a personal question, but basically....it's for science.

How did Amazon pick that up?

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

1 minute ago, ★ Coups ★ said:

How did Amazon pick that up?

Its from their amazon affiliate code

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Given that YouTubers generally are not allowed disclose what they make, you're going to have a hard time outside of what you already have.  You're best bet is their tax reports, which may or may not be publically disclosed depending on the area (that's how Pewdiepie's salary was found out), but other than that there's not much out there.  Good luck.

[witty signature]

Just now, Timmy-P said:

Given that YouTubers generally are not allowed disclose what they make, you're going to have a hard time outside of what you already have.  You're best bet is their tax reports, which may or may not be publically disclosed depending on the area (that's how Pewdiepie's salary was found out), but other than that there's not much out there.  Good luck.

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll still hold out incase someone has more info.

They are making enough to support 10+ people, as well as the company itself. Their running costs are a lot higher than people think.

"But all they are doing is YouTube videos!" - This may be the case. But nothing in life is free. Hell, their server room is likely worth over $100k.

53 minutes ago, scoreman said:

I've found some figures online ($17000 from Amazon Affiliation, Social Blade) but nothing too specific on them individually. Any ideas?

This question is extremely rude. You should never ask someone how much they make, ever! There are boundaries you socially awkward child...

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

8 minutes ago, eLucid said:

This question is extremely rude. You should never ask someone how much they make, ever! There are boundaries you socially awkward child...

Ok.

5 minutes ago, Newenthusiast said:

I think its in poor taste to discuss someones income like this. 

1 hour ago, eLucid said:

I've never really found it to be a rude question. Especially in the context here where OP is profiling the earning potential of an industry he/she is interested in.

People just tend to be sensitive about the topic. Either feeling embarrassed they don't make enough, or condescending to people who make more. My coworkers and I openly discuss wages, although we all are making similar amounts in addition to our salaries being completely public information. I just don't necessarily discuss it with friends or family since there's a decent between the numbers. Not shy about it though.

1 hour ago, scoreman said:

Probably not as much as you might think. I expect the majority of revenue goes right back into the company. I would expect enough to be comfortable. However there is a huge opportunity cost when it comes to time commitments. "Work" never really stops like a 9-5, 40 hour a week job does. Based on LMG job postings (which you can lookup), employees seem to be paid competitively with the industry, including some extended health benefits.

The difference is you have chosen to openly discuss this information with people, this information being outed is the result of an accident. What if you invited someone over for a coffee and you accidentally left your bank statement on the kitchen counter and while you're making your guest a coffee they glance over at your balance then start talking about it on social media?

Its just bad form in my opinion.  

1 hour ago, eLucid said:

While I mostly agree with your point,  your tone is really unnecessary.

You could have just pointed out that's it's generally considered bad form to ask people what they make

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

"Estimated 7.2 to 115k"

How the fuck is that an estimation? You know what I estimate that social blade is accurate between 0 and 100% of the time! Boom I'm an analyst now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

I think its in poor taste to discuss someones income like this. 

3 hours ago, rmac52 said:

While I mostly agree with your point,  your tone is really unnecessary.

You could have just pointed out that's it's generally considered bad form to ask people what they make

5 hours ago, eLucid said:

Look, guys. My reasons for finding this information is purely from an educational and informational standpoint, not to judge or brag how much Linus and Luke make. I think when it comes to researching career's, job titles, or companies, there's nothing wrong with learning about estimated earnings. I see the issue is personally knowing an individual's income. Perhaps I could rephrase the question to, "What's the income of a YouTube channel owner with 2.4 million subscribers, ad revenue, sponsorships, affiliation codes, and merchandise sales?"  I think that's as PC as it gets.

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

"Estimated 7.2 to 115k"

How the fuck is that an estimation? You know what I estimate that social blade is accurate between 0 and 100% of the time! Boom I'm an analyst now.

Hence why I thought it was unreliable information in this context. At least it's a ballpark figure, but that's a pretty big park.

4 hours ago, TopDollar said:

Probably not as much as you might think. I expect the majority of revenue goes right back into the company. I would expect enough to be comfortable. However there is a huge opportunity cost when it comes to time commitments. "Work" never really stops like a 9-5, 40 hour a week job does. Based on LMG job postings (which you can lookup), employees seem to be paid competitively with the industry, including some extended health benefits.

Thanks for your input. I'll still keep looking for a $ amount, but it looks like I'll have to generalize the question to get an industry estimate.

EDIT: I misread the responses I quoted. Time for bed I guess. I'm leaving this here though:

Just some food for thought. I love this series and it's pretty eye opening.

-KuJoe

7 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Just some food for thought. I love this series and it's pretty eye opening.

LOL, that's a different way to look at it!

Also if it helps, they have a job posted for a Video Editor position that makes $61360 annually ($44923.58 USD).

-KuJoe

29 minutes ago, scoreman said:

Look, guys. My reasons for finding this information is purely from an educational and informational standpoint, not to judge or brag how much Linus and Luke make. I think when it comes to researching career's, job titles, or companies, there's nothing wrong with learning about estimated earnings. I see the issue is personally knowing an individual's income. Perhaps I could rephrase the question to, "What's the income of a YouTube channel owner with 2.4 million subscribers, ad revenue, sponsorships, affiliation codes, and merchandise sales?"  I think that's as PC as it gets.

Linus has stated his goal is to get LMG to $1m a year in revenue. Since he hasn't said anything about it, he either hasn't achieved it yet (which seems likely) or is not telling (also likely).

Judging by number of staff and rough estimations, I would guess about $800-900k per year and growing, though it could be more by now. It's a (relatively) low overhead business model (and Linus is inherently cheap/responsible) so I would expect a relatively healthy profit margin but since they're still in a high-growth "phase" their expenditure could eat a lot of the profit as they invest heavily in expansion.

While I personally don't need to know, I believe it is fair to ask that about Linus or LMG, it's a common thing people want to know about celebrities, even youtube ones like pdp.

If we are guesstimating here, operating costs ~$900k/yr of CND, revenue 1.6 mil combined.

He deserves every penny if you ask me, whatever the amount may be.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

• 1 year later...
On 2/17/2016 at 6:37 PM, eLucid said:

Probably a home school-er lol

luke nor linus lives in like a huge mansion or anything, they live in average homes, drive averages cars, live average lives, so presumably they make around the average salery of someone living in vancouver

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

On 2/17/2016 at 4:35 PM, GlassBomb said:

"But all they are doing is YouTube videos!"

they do a lot more than youtube videos though.

they also do videos for Intel Retail Edge and a bunch of other programs.

Linus Media Group is a production company, not just full-time youtubers.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.