Brother hogging the internet. please help

ITZWARNERXF1

When i am trying to play COD online it lags alot because of my brother he watches netflix, youtube and others. He floods the internet, i was just wondering i can my i can give my self more bandwidth. Thanks 

Well.... if you have a rooted Android, you can download network penetration apps and block his access.... but that's kind of a dick move.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Change your Wifi password then act surprised when he tells you he can't connect to the internet.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

your router should have settings for QoS so that you can allocate more bandwidth for gaming and less for youtube

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Yea streaming services like netflix take a crap load of bandwidth. The only real way to get rid of the lag is to upgrade the internet. If you are not willing to go with that, sabotage the ethernet cord, disable the wifi on the computer (secretly), or simply figure out a way to get him to do other things.

The smartest idiot you will ever find

1 minute ago, dragoon20005 said:

your router should have settings for QoS so that you can allocate more bandwidth for gaming and less for youtube

I have bthomehub4 would this be compatible?

Just now, Potato_King said:

Yea streaming services like netflix take a crap load of bandwidth. The only real way to get rid of the lag is to upgrade the internet. If you are not willing to go with that, sabotage the ethernet cord, disable the wifi on the computer (secretly), or simply figure out a way to get him to do other things.

I would not care if his youtube and netflix buffered just as long as i had 4 bar.

1 minute ago, ITZWARNERXF1 said:

I have bthomehub4 would this be compatible?

does the router has the QoS

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

MAC Ban him.

Just now, ITZWARNERXF1 said:

I would not care if his youtube and netflix buffered just as long as i had 4 bar.

Well generally that shows signal strength, not bandwith. For getting more bars, get closer to the router, but the actual speed would not change

The smartest idiot you will ever find

These comments are fucking hilarious

1 minute ago, dragoon20005 said:

does the router has the QoS

No clue, how would i check?

Just now, ITZWARNERXF1 said:

No clue, how would i check?

post screenshot of the router setting pages

Wait... are you gaming over wifi....?

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

5 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

post screenshot of the router setting pages

yea btw sorry for this 2 vids cant get rid of them :( . It only lags when my brother is on.

2 hours ago, Yames said:

These comments are fucking hilarious

Yes, almost as funny as OP's responses. The difference being one them aren't being sarcastic. I think this thread is DOA.

1 hour ago, ITZWARNERXF1 said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

yea btw sorry for this 2 vids cant get rid of them :( . It only lags when my brother is on.

Just curious, when you watch those, do they look like router setting pages to you? First, thats a game, not a router. Second, thats game play, not settings. Third, thats a video, not a screen shot. Are you trolling?

2 hours ago, ITZWARNERXF1 said:

What is your full internet speed? and normal lag?

what is your tested lag and speed when your brother is active?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Which router are you using, some routers will name their QOS differently, e.g., some may use terms like fast lane, media prioritization, bandwidth control, etc.

It is actually pretty hard to find a modern router that lacks QOS.