SLI Poll

JJBtch4EXG

SLI  

44 members have voted

1. 1. To SLI or Not to SLI? That is the question.

• To SLI.
    • Or not to SLI.

nope

unless I do another 4/5 screen sli surround flight sim setup

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I'd never do it. Every time a game didn't support SLI, even if I could run it anyway, I would regret my decision.

Just now, givingtnt said:

nope

unless I do another 4/5 screen sli surround flight sim setup

Sounds Awesome :D

2 minutes ago, JJBtch4EXG said:

Would you or wouldn't you?

A single card is more reliable, doesn't require any special support(both the driver and games have to support SLI in order for it to work), and in the case of two weak cards vs 1 strong it will use less power as well.

Just now, JJBtch4EXG said:

Sounds Awesome :D

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

i would because the G1 970 isnt going up in price any time soon :D

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I do so..

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

11 minutes ago, royalba94 said:

SLI is not as good as a single card solution. But if you let people know what cards you are considering for both options we could give you more pertinent feedback

Not looking for feed back on SLI just opinions. I run 2 950's in SLI with great performance. They can go toe to toe with the best of the 970's even with 2gb vram.

SLI is actually slower in certain games, for the cost honestly I would sell my current card, add on the amount I was going to spend on the extra card in order to get better performance and less issues across the board.

Just now, blazerclaw said:

SLI is actually slower in certain games, for the cost honestly I would sell my current card, add on the amount I was going to spend on the extra card in order to get better performance and less issues across the board.

that is ABSURDLY rare...ive seen it happen once well technically twice but it was fixed in that example.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Don't like dual gpu setups, SLI or CFX because more fiddling around trying to make it work. Single GPU is better than any dual or triple gpu setup. But running at a very high resolution, then a single gpu may not be able to handle it, so it depends on your monitor setup.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, blazerclaw said:

That statement about slower in certain games depends on if you play those certain games. I so far have not had any slow down on any of the unsupported games I play and gain a very significant boost in performance in the games that do. In fact I haven't ran across any issues with SLI thus far.

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Don't like dual gpu setups, SLI or CFX because more fiddling around trying to make it work. Single GPU is better than any dual or triple gpu setup. But running at a very high resolution, then a single gpu may not be able to handle it, so it depends on your monitor setup.

? @ the fiddling around statement. All I did was enable it in NVCP and have had no issues.

As someone with SLI cards (780s) I would just go for a single card setup now

OAS || AAS || LLS

Micro. Stutters. Wouldn't go back. Also gpu blocks, fittings, SLI boards etc. are expensive. 

If you make a post contradicting mine that doesn't directly address my claims, or cites 'facts' without evidence, I'm probably not going to bother responding to it, because you probably didn't bother reading my post properly, and because life is too short. It doesn't mean I don't have an answer for you. It means I'm not dignifying you with a response. 

Issues I keep seeing people post about SLI seems to be old issues that NVidia it seems have worked a lot of them out. Micro stuttering, fiddling to get it enabled and so forth.

Just now, Elehat said:

Micro. Stutters. Wouldn't go back. Also gpu blocks, fittings, SLI boards etc. are expensive. 

Most motherboards that support SLI come with the sli boards and yes if you wanted the MSI or EVGA logo on a fancy SLI bridge is a little expensive at 20 bucks or so.

The biggest problem I notice with SLI is heat when they are right next to each other. With a good gap in between the cards the top card will still get like 2 degrees hotter than the bottom card but when you stay around 70 degrees C that's not an issue.

Depends . Would i sli a 950 or a 960 ? No.

Would i sli a 980ti ? Yes

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Depends . Would i sli a 950 or a 960 ? No.

Would i sli a 980ti ? Yes

Good answer but I SLI 2 950's and is very satisfied but I did it because I wanted to see if Nvidia has improved any on this feature before I go spending bookoo's of cash of 2 top end cards and they haven't let me down yet. Also I had to spread my funds out between 2 weeks. Patients is not one of my strongest virtues.