390x crossfire or Upgrade to 980Ti?

afyeung
Go to solution Solved by Coaxialgamer,

personnally , i would keep the 390x and wait for polaris/pascal ( polaris in june)

Hey guys. I've had it with my crossfire setup. Benchmarks and tomb raider 2013, MGSV, and Witcher 3(stuttering above or below 60fps like all cfx setups) run fine. But basically everywhere else, I get a blue screen or Red screen lol. I actually laughed sort of because  it seemed fitting that an AMD setup would have a red screen. But then I cried because I wasted so much time on this crap when I could have bought a 980ti a long time ago :( I'm switching in my 290 for a 390x. The question is, should I sell both 390x's and get a 980ti? Or keep them for crossfire. Performance wise, scaling is awesome in games that work, much better performance than a 980ti. If I get a 980ti which model is the best in terms of acoustics and cooling, also one that will match my blue build?  

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Sell them if you don't mind the hassle of doing so.

I don't think you'll regret that move one bit. 

You know what I'm going to say, get a 980ti. I haven't had a gaming session where I lost track of time in years. Playing JC3 in 1440 at max settings I never went over 97% GPU, 50c, and never lost a frame or had a single stutter. Even when BASE jumping and blowing as much shut up as possible. Wife came over to check on me after 4hrs of straight playing xD The freedom a trouble/worry free card gives you is worth the cost. Best move I ever made. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

6 minutes ago, Arwanell said:

shame you got rid of 290

i would sell 390x, save money, keep 290 for a few months and then buy the best brand new card out of Pascal/Polaris

Sounds good. But how long do you think it'll be until the new Polaris/Pascal cards come out? I have a lan party in May, I want to show off to my buddy's lol. Think I can have a shiny new GTX 1080 or R9 490x by then?

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

You know what I'm going to say, get a 980ti. I haven't had a gaming session where I lost track of time in years. Playing JC3 in 1440 at max settings I never went over 97% GPU, 50c, and never lost a frame or had a single stutter. Even when BASE jumping and blowing as much shut up as possible. Wife came over to check on me after 4hrs of straight playing xD The freedom a trouble/worry free card gives you is worth the cost. Best move I ever made. 

I realized I was on the same boat as you lol. No question I'm getting rid of the crossfire setup. Main question is, do I get a 980ti now? Or wait for the newer cards.

6 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

Sell them if you don't mind the hassle of doing so.

I don't think you'll regret that move one bit. 

One thing I could do is keep the liquid cooled 390x for a bit until the newer cards come out, and sell the new 390x right away. But I don't know how much longer it'll take for pascal to come out

7 minutes ago, afyeung said:

Sounds good. But how long do you think it'll be until the new Polaris/Pascal cards come out? I have a lan party in May, I want to show off to my buddy's lol. Think I can have a shiny new GTX 1080 or R9 490x by then?

If pascal is going to follow previous nvidia release schedules, then it will likely come out somewhere late this year... maybe September. Polaris shouldn't be too far from that date either.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

6 minutes ago, afyeung said:

One thing I could do is keep the liquid cooled 390x for a bit until the newer cards come out, and sell the new 390x right away. But I don't know how much longer it'll take for pascal to come out

you also have to note that resale value of the 300 series might drop when Polaris comes out, as there may be an influx of people selling their 390x's to upgrade.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

5 minutes ago, Lord_Karango17 said:

you also have to note that resale value of the 300 series might drop when Polaris comes out, as there may be an influx of people selling their 390x's to upgrade.

True. However the price decrease probably won't be as bad as the Fury X since the 390x isn't the top tier card.

7 minutes ago, Lord_Karango17 said:

If pascal is going to follow previous nvidia release schedules, then it will likely come out somewhere late this year... maybe September. Polaris shouldn't be too far from that date either.

That's too late :( I think I'll still keep the Liquid cooled 390x for the time being. 

The question isn't when do the new cards come out, but when it the 980ti dethroned? I'd eat my hat if that was in the next 6 months. And 6 months is a lot of time that can be used to game. But I'm honestly not worried. One thing we know is the new cards a targeted at higher resolutions. Not us 1080p peasants xD So I wouldn't care if the came out today. The 980ti does exactly what I need it to do. 

personnally , i would keep the 390x and wait for polaris/pascal ( polaris in june)

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

The question isn't when do the new cards come out, but when it the 980ti dethroned? I'd eat my hat if that was in the next 6 months. And 6 months is a lot of time that can be used to game. But I'm honestly not worried. One thing we know is the new cards a targeted at higher resolutions. Not us 1080p peasants xD So I wouldn't care if the came out today. The 980ti does exactly what I need it to do. 

You're right. I'll just hang onto the liquid cooled 390x for a bit. Honestly performance was fine, but I wanted ultimate eye candy lol. I'll worry about selling the new 390x from MSI first. Hoping to get maybe $380 or higher for it. 

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

Yeah. That's what I plan to. Right now I'll remove the 290 from my rig so I can replace with a 390x. Temps should be a lot better and the gaming experience will be fine for now.

Your 390x should be fine. I only need the 980ti for running higher resolutions, and like I said in some games it's overkill for 1440. Not sure how I'd feel about it without the AIO. That I have to say. If it was air cooled and I had temperatures to deal with, might feel differently.

Just now, App4that said:

Your 390x should be fine. I only need the 980ti for running higher resolutions, and like I said in some games it's overkill for 1440. Not sure how I'd feel about it without the AIO. That I have to say. If it was air cooled and I had temperatures to deal with, might feel differently.

Yeah. I actually don't have a second 390x yet. But I think MSI will let me trade in because a guy on Toms HW was on the same boat and was able too. The issue with my 290 is that it has a heavily modded cooler lol. But I'll force them to let me trade in. They can't advertise the 390x and 290 series to work fine together when I've been getting all these issues. 

1 hour ago, afyeung said:

as that guy said Polaris should come in June

and Pascal in Q3

i know that feel :D

Just now, Arwanell said:

as that guy said Polaris should come in June

and Pascal in Q3

i know that feel :D

Buuuuuuuut that doesn't mean anything stronger than what we have now is coming in June, now does it?

Really don't get why everyone get's their panties in a twist over this. The best stuff rarely comes first, they'd be stupid to do that.

59 minutes ago, App4that said:

Buuuuuuuut that doesn't mean anything stronger than what we have now is coming in June, now does it?

Really don't get why everyone get's their panties in a twist over this. The best stuff rarely comes first, they'd be stupid to do that.

Yeah, similarly how the Maxwell 750ti came out way before the 970 or 980...

Wait for new gear.

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

I just upgraded from an MSI R9 390X to an EVGA GTX 980ti. It's waaay better. Power consumption in games is roughly 50w less, temps are lower, fans are quieter. Plus, BIG PLUS, There are waterblocks and other aftermarket liquid cooling options for the 980ti. Whereas the custom PCB 390(x) are left with little to even nothing... Apart from universal waterblocks... and a Kraken G10... Both of which are crappy...

2 hours ago, App4that said:

true, but 980 is better than the 780ti isn't it?

3 minutes ago, Arwanell said:

Depends, I've seen them trade blows. And both the 780ti and 980 at aimed at 1080p, whereas the 1080 is aimed at 1440n and above. If we go off of recent history that comes at a performance loss to lower resolutions.

4 hours ago, Arwanell said:

780ti wasn't much slower than a 980 at launch. 780ti was actually a bit better in some scenarios. However, after drivers matured. 980 craps all over the 780ti. Not even a contest.