390x crossfire or Upgrade to 980Ti?

afyeung
Go to solution Solved by Coaxialgamer,

personnally , i would keep the 390x and wait for polaris/pascal ( polaris in june)

4 minutes ago, afyeung said:

780ti wasn't much slower than a 980 at launch. 780ti was actually a bit better in some scenarios. However, after drivers matured. 980 craps all over the 780ti. Not even a contest. 

I wouldn't say craps all over it.

9x2WNnx.jpg

If anyone asks you never saw me.

15 minutes ago, App4that said:

I wouldn't say craps all over it.

9x2WNnx.jpg

Those benchmarks looks sort of strange lol. Guess it's the settings. But try Witcher 3 and Fallout 4. Idk there's a lot more. The 980 beats the 780ti by a very wide margin.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Just now, afyeung said:

Those benchmarks looks sort of strange lol. Guess it's the settings. But try Witcher 3 and Fallout 4. Idk there's a lot more. The 980 beats the 780ti by a very wide margin.

Not the settings, the architecture. Maxwell is a much better GPU than Kepler. Pascal will be a much better card than Maxwell. AMD has been riding the same architecture for years. The aging of the AMD card just isn't the same, because the GPUs are the same with AMD. So how the game was built will impact how well Kepler performs. 

Just now, App4that said:

Not the settings, the architecture. Maxwell is a much better GPU than Kepler. Pascal will be a much better card than Maxwell. AMD has been riding the same architecture for years. The aging of the AMD card just isn't the same, because the GPUs are the same with AMD. So how the game was built will impact how well Kepler performs. 

You're right. Not saying that the 1080 will beat the 980ti right away. But that's just how it is. Cards age really fast. 780ti can't even match a 970 sometimes. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

You know what. I actually rolled back the driver to 15.12 and crossfire works now lol. It might not work in dying light but there's no more blue screening. SMH. freaking AMD drivers. Might consider the 980ti still. I have to see how Tomb raider 2015 performs. I'll lower the settings a bit. 1440p 60fps or nothing.

Just now, afyeung said:

You're right. Not saying that the 1080 will beat the 980ti right away. But that's just how it is. Cards age really fast. 780ti can't even match a 970 sometimes. 

I didn't buy my 980ti as a high resolution graphics card. It's a 1080p card. That buys me years of gaming. I've gotten some peaks at the new architecture coming out. It will be years until its utilized. Only way to take advantage of them immediately is a 4K monitor. But games are already being nerfed for PC so that we don't leave consoles behind. The Division was purposely nerfed for that reason. So unless you have a 4K monitor anything more than what we have now will be a waste until consoles can catch up. So no holding your breath xD

10 minutes ago, App4that said:

I didn't buy my 980ti as a high resolution graphics card. It's a 1080p card. That buys me years of gaming. I've gotten some peaks at the new architecture coming out. It will be years until its utilized. Only way to take advantage of them immediately is a 4K monitor. But games are already being nerfed for PC so that we don't leave consoles behind. The Division was purposely nerfed for that reason. So unless you have a 4K monitor anything more than what we have now will be a waste until consoles can catch up. So no holding your breath xD

I hate that PC games are held back by consoles. But even so. We can get double(in my case) the resolution and double the framerate of console. Doesn't stand a chance. 

Just now, afyeung said:

I hate that PC games are held back by consoles. But even so. We can get double(in my case) the resolution and double the framerate of console. Doesn't stand a chance. 

At least they have the balls to openly admit it now. And we have mods. 

Somewhat on topic hit the first game that DSR couldn't fix. JC3, still beautiful for what it is but resolution only seems to waste power. I'd play at 1080 but my pride xD