My Personal Rig & Gear

LinusTech

I don't think any PWM controller utilizes PID to control, it merely send a PWM signal at different amplitudes and does not get feedback from the controlled device. I don't know much about the T-balancer so I won't include it in the list.

I'm hoping they exist since I don't have the time to build it myself. T-balancer uses thermal sensors. Its that wire that Linus stuck to his bottom rad with thermal paste. The Corsair link has three probes that come with it for feedback.

Most of the fan controllers in the market just use a resist pot and voltage control instead of using PWM.

I very specifically recall that the first Aquaero was advertised as having a PID

controller. I see no reason to assume this has changed with the newer versions.

Since the AE6 has PWM output, I would think that that is a PID controller with

PWM output (unless I'm missing something here).

The AE6 thread on OCN is pretty long and there are some very knowledgeable people

who've taken a closer look at the devive there. Also the AE6 owners' thread might

be of interest (its OP is one of the people who've done some analysis on the AE6).

Shoggy (one of the Aquacomputer folks) is also moderately active on OCN, so you

can usually get reliable info directly from the source.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

what UV LED led strip does it have? the Phobya?? 

what UV LED led strip does it have? the Phobya??

Yup, if I recall correctly he mentions they're Phobya at some point in the vid.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

giveaway please

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

Yup, if I recall correctly he mentions they're Phobya at some point in the vid.

They're super unreliable in my experience though.

They said the first ones were a bad batch, but these new ones are failing now too.

@LinusTech   

CPU: Intel Core i7 4970X - This was a sample. Everything I said before about the 3970X applies here... :P

4970X aye, that's new. Is that a hint at things to come?. Probably just and error. I know you mean the 4960X or do you :ph34r:

LGA 2011 rigs are always so cool. My only gripe if the super flashy ram. I personally like the Corsair Dominator's for the subtle light effect. But each to there own.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

They said the first ones were a bad batch, but these new ones are failing now too.

Phobya being Phobya I suppose. I haven't heard too many good things about their QC

so far TBH, and the products I've bought from them haven't been terribly impressive

(fan controller, and, you guessed it, LED strips! :D ).

I have installed a set of 4 30cm white strips in a friends build that have zero issues. I also have 4 white for my desktop build that have yet to go in but I have tested and check for issues I have encountered.

However I have also bought 4 red 30cm for my chibi pc itx build amd two were bad the were flickering or on one had a cpuple leds out. After getting the replacements from frozen cpu a while back I was going to install them recently and rean into major issues which whowed me why the others were likely flicking and not working. There is actual wire exposed and in its natural position the cable was twisted a bit so it was close enough to jump and short. I actually have one when it shorted and melted the solder and one cable broke off and while taking picks to rma the second wire broke off. Othe the other you can clearly see the exposed wire and there the plastic end cap and insulation on the wire had melted.

I will be putting pic of this up soon as part of my chibi pc build log. A older picture is already up of one of the previous leds strips with some of the leds out.

I initially picked these because of the high density of the leds compared to other brands and they looked much nicer. Besides that they kinda suck to mount.

What would you recommend over Phobya LED strips? Bitfenix? Icemodz?

i5-4670K | ASUS Z97 MAXIMUS VII HERO | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 | Corsair 750D | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM | Corsair RM750 | Corsair H100i

I would looks wise but idk about durability but I have also not had other brands.

Linus,  I'm a big fan of your videos.  I've never felt compelled to ask you a question until now.  I notice in your video you point out that some of your components are samples, and some are pieces you've bought yourself.  I was under the misconception hardware sent to reviewers needed to be returned.  Would you be willing to point out in future reviews whether or not the hardware provided to you was gifted without the need to return it?  If you already have a page displaying this information, please provide a link.

Best,

Dave

love it

i7 875k @ 4.2 GHz, MSI BIG BANG TRINERGY BOARD, 16GB RAM, OCZ AGILITY 120GB SSD, MSI GTX 580, FULL CUSTOM WATERCOOLED

I think there should be a video made or even a series made of just astetics. Fans, light, strips, tubing and the like. Please make some videos and make sure there are links to the manufacturers websties. I am looking for some good 140mm red and purple fans. Also a good purple 120 mm fan for a hyper 212 evo. might just scrap the 212 for a corsair h100i, but then would need two 120 mm led fans.

• 3 weeks later...

Linus

would you have chosen the TJ11 instead of the TJ07 if it wasn't such a heavy case or

are there other reasons for using the TJ07 over the TJ11 (other then sentimental values)?

Thank you

if you have the spare PCIe slot, there's also NZXT and their brightness adjustable LED strip

• 1 month later...

Coulden't help but notice in your rig update you said you wanted the activity LEDs on the RAM off but it wasen't possible, I found out on my Crucial RAM at least it is do-able by de-selecting all the colour options.

HfhrVB6.png

Hope this can be of use...

• 2 months later...

hey linus you should do a bechmark video or some sort of slick vs linus pc like logan did 

Coulden't help but notice in your rig update you said you wanted the activity LEDs on the RAM off but it wasen't possible, I found out on my Crucial RAM at least it is do-able by de-selecting all the colour options.

HfhrVB6.png

Hope this can be of use...

Yep, my first Generation Ballistix Tracers can do this as well.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

• 3 months later...

I Don't recommend a TITAN either that's why I have 3... WHOOPISH... Do as I say not as I do.. haha 5.jpg

If you want high refresh rate, the BenQ XL2420TE is excellent.

Unfortunately this monitor was discontinued recently.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

• 1 month later...