Can someone help me choosing a mid end GPU?

Vangalter
Go to solution Solved by Idefinitelyknowstuff---,

Hey so if you want to run a games at medium to high at that resolution you could get either of those cards and they'd do fine. But a great card on a budget is the r7 250. it way seem wimpy but its seriously a decent card especially for the price. It can run 1080p games at medium to high settings so at 768p it should be able to run games on high. Heres a link for amazon http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Ultimate-PCI-Express-Graphics-11215-04-40G/dp/B00ILALU28 and if you want a review of it check out Jayztwocents video on it. But if you dont need or want it to be completely silent then the other brands of the card are good too. And to answer your question you might bottleneck especially at not a very demanding resolution. And between the 370 and 380 get the 370. For what you want to do you won't need to much power.

Hello. I am on a very tight budget, so I was about to buy a 6450 graphics card for ~$35 US, but then I saw a video from Linus that said I shouldn't waste my money on that low end stuff, so I got a little more to spend ($160 US). 

Ok, so now I'm debating if I should buy the R7 370 or if there's any other good options for around the same price. 
I have an AMD FX 4100 (I know it's too old) and 8 GB of RAM @ 1333 Hz. Will my system bottleneck with a 370? 

Also, if the 370 is indeed the best I can get at this price point, what version of it is the best one? I found a Sapphire 4GB for ~$149 US and a XFX R9 380 for ~$200 US which I guess I could sell my phone to buy it, but would it be worth it?
I'd be Overclocking my cards, even if it's just a little bit; my PSU just died and bought a 500 continuos one, which (I've checked) can handle my system with no problems, so OC seems plausible. 

I've tried to inform me on YT but there was a video of a guy comparing a R7 370 vs a GTX 960 and they were super close and then he posted another video 370 vs 950 and the difference between the two was bigger than between 370 & 960 so I'm really confused rn. 

Also, if this isn't the right sub to post this, please let me know to delete this post immediately. Idk if it can be considered "tech support" or not, but I think it is not. 

PS: I have a 768p screen, but I want to run every game at solid 60 FPS and medium-high quality. 

1 minute ago, Vangalter said:

Hello. I am on a very tight budget, so I was about to buy a 6450 graphics card for ~$35 US, but then I saw a video from Linus that said I shouldn't waste my money on that low end stuff, so I got a little more to spend ($160 US). 

Ok, so now I'm debating if I should buy the R7 370 or if there's any other good options for around the same price. 
I have an AMD FX 4100 (I know it's too old) and 8 GB of RAM @ 1333 Hz. Will my system bottleneck with a 370? 

Also, if the 370 is indeed the best I can get at this price point, what version of it is the best one? I found a Sapphire 4GB for ~$149 US and a XFX R9 380 for ~$200 US which I guess I could sell my phone to buy it, but would it be worth it?
I'd be Overclocking my cards, even if it's just a little bit; my PSU just died and bought a 500 continuos one, which (I've checked) can handle my system with no problems, so OC seems plausible. 

I've tried to inform me on YT but there was a video of a guy comparing a R7 370 vs a GTX 960 and they were super close and then he posted another video 370 vs 950 and the difference between the two was bigger than between 370 & 960 so I'm really confused rn. 

Also, if this isn't the right sub to post this, please let me know to delete this post immediately. Idk if it can be considered "tech support" or not, but I think it is not. 

PS: I have a 768p screen, but I want to run every game at solid 60 FPS and medium-high quality. 

for that screen, its not necessary to have immense video power. A 370 is definitely a low end card but i feel that it should be sufficient, I'm using an Asus 360 to play gta 5 at 1080p with med to high setting albeit a mild overclock. A 960 is better but at the price point, a 380 will give you more bang for your buck. spending a little more will allow you to have growing room in the future. As for your processor, yea that really old and performance on amd's fx series is sketchy at best, especially at the low end. But getting something like a 380 now will let you upgrade in the future without having to change your gpu. If u oc the cpu, I think that it wouldn't bottleneck a 380 too much. btw, what psu do u have? 

If you can find a gtx 950 that you can afford I would go with that.  For me personally, the 950 would be the cheapest video card I would consider buying for myself.  From what I've read its a little bit better than the 370.  At the resolution you're talking about though, I don't think it would matter either way, I think either one would suit you just fine.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

6 minutes ago, tahmidkhan123 said:

for that screen, its not necessary to have immense video power. A 370 is definitely a low end card but i feel that it should be sufficient, I'm using an Asus 360 to play gta 5 at 1080p with med to high setting albeit a mild overclock. A 960 is better but at the price point, a 380 will give you more bang for your buck. spending a little more will allow you to have growing room in the future. As for your processor, yea that really old and performance on amd's fx series is sketchy at best, especially at the low end. But getting something like a 380 now will let you upgrade in the future without having to change your gpu. If u oc the cpu, I think that it wouldn't bottleneck a 380 too much. btw, what psu do u have? 

The R9 380 is a great card. I have been using it on a 900p monitor and it has not failed me yet. Also I think I saw an R9 380 on newegg for around $150.

Here are the links. Not quite $150 but it is worth the extra money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121963&cm_re=r9_380-_-14-121-963-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131673&cm_re=r9_380-_-14-131-673-_-Product

I would go with the power color with 4gb of ram

Edited by Hulkbert

Hey so if you want to run a games at medium to high at that resolution you could get either of those cards and they'd do fine. But a great card on a budget is the r7 250. it way seem wimpy but its seriously a decent card especially for the price. It can run 1080p games at medium to high settings so at 768p it should be able to run games on high. Heres a link for amazon http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Ultimate-PCI-Express-Graphics-11215-04-40G/dp/B00ILALU28 and if you want a review of it check out Jayztwocents video on it. But if you dont need or want it to be completely silent then the other brands of the card are good too. And to answer your question you might bottleneck especially at not a very demanding resolution. And between the 370 and 380 get the 370. For what you want to do you won't need to much power.

7 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

The R9 380 is a great card. I have been using it on a 900p monitor and it has not failed me yet. Also I think I saw an R9 380 on newegg for around $150.

Here are the links. Not quite $150 but it is worth the extra money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121963&cm_re=r9_380-_-14-121-963-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131673&cm_re=r9_380-_-14-131-673-_-Product

I would go with the power color with 4gb of ram

Thanks! I'm not in the US not any of the countries they ship to, sadly, so the cheapest I can get it is indeed $200. Is it still worth it at that price over a $150 US 370? 4GB as well, Sapphire OC edition. 

Once again, I will recommend spending like 20 bucks more and getting a used r9 290, honestly at this time, it is the best bang for the buck card (as long you you find one that wasn't used for mining) I got mine for $185 shipped.

5 minutes ago, Jordaneer said:

Once again, I will recommend spending like 20 bucks more and getting a used r9 290, honestly at this time, it is the best bang for the buck card (as long you you find one that wasn't used for mining) I got mine for $185 shipped.

We don't have used video cards here ;-; but thanks for the advice!

27 minutes ago, tahmidkhan123 said:

It's an EVGA 500W 80+. 

7 minutes ago, Vangalter said:

We don't have used video cards here ;-; but thanks for the advice!

? You don't ? For real? Well you could also try Reddit proxy. Where someone purchases said item for you in the Americas then ships it to you.  Or you purchase it it and they ship it to you.

But maybe find a R9 270X or something. That bad boy is pretty nice. I love it hasn't let me down yet.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

10 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

? You don't ? For real? Well you could also try Reddit proxy. Where someone purchases said item for you in the Americas then ships it to you.  Or you purchase it it and they ship it to you.

But maybe find a R9 270X or something. That bad boy is pretty nice. I love it hasn't let me down yet.

Is that a thing!? Omg, that's awesome! I'll look into that; thank you so much! 

6 minutes ago, Vangalter said:

Is that a thing!? Omg, that's awesome! I'll look into that; thank you so much! 

Well of course you need to pay them of course. It's not free  well you purchase said item. Then shipping and stuff then you can offer a tip to the shipper.

Its called r/buildapcproxy.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

On 2/12/2016 at 10:07 PM, givegomezthegun said:

If you can find a gtx 950 that you can afford I would go with that.  For me personally, the 950 would be the cheapest video card I would consider buying for myself.  From what I've read its a little bit better than the 370.  At the resolution you're talking about though, I don't think it would matter either way, I think either one would suit you just fine.

a 950 is only just a bit better than a 750 ti - I would recommend a 960

On 14 de febrero de 2016 at 9:45 PM, sebz2 said:

a 950 is only just a bit better than a 750 ti - I would recommend a 960

I'm reliant to get a green team card because of their anti consumer and anti competitive policies but I'll consider it. Thanks for the advice!