HP to Bring Freesync to Consumer Laptops

DocSwag

Sources: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3032098/coming-to-hps-consumer-laptops-smoother-video-with-amds-freesync.html and http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/marketwire/1243102.htm

HP will first bring FreeSync to its HP Envy 15z, which will be refreshed in the first half this year with the new AMD 6th Generation A-series chip, code-named Carrizo.

It seems that when HP refreshes its HP Envy 15z line, it will update them to contain Carrizo APUs. However, it seems the panels will also be equipped with freesync.

My best guess is that it will be using integrated graphics from the APU, which do support freesync.

This seems interesting, and would make 500-700 dollar laptops potentially an OK idea for gamers, since AMD APUs are pretty powerful and freesync will make games run even smoother.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Intriguing. I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync laptops, considering the technology was developed using a hacked/modified eDP laptop display controller. A Laptop was literally the Frankenstein that gave birth to FreeSync.

Obviously, the released, official specs of FreeSync and Adaptive-Sync are a far cry from the original mcgyver mod that AMD helped create, but you'd think it wouldn't take that long to introduce it.

In any case, this is exciting news. I personally am not too fond of gaming laptops, since I personally don't have a need for a portable gaming computer, but I know that many people do need/want them, so this allows people to get a better gaming experience for cheaper.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

While this is cool, I'd like to see AMD creating GPUs that can actually compete with NV GPUs so we can see this in high end laptops.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

While this is cool, I'd like to see AMD creating GPUs that can actually compete with NV GPUs so we can see this in high end laptops.

The nano certainly seems like a good nvidia competitor as the damn thing has a TDP 100W less than the 980Ti and costs less as well

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

The nano certainly seems like a good nvidia competitor as the damn thing has a TDP 100W less than the 980Ti and costs less as well

I was talking about laptops just so there is no misunderstanding, if they put Nano inside It would be a competition to those few laptops that have a 980 which is not exactly I was aiming at. I was talking more like a competition to 980m/970m and even 960m.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I was talking about laptops just so there is no misunderstanding, if they put Nano inside It would be a competition to those few laptops that have a 980 which is not exactly I was aiming at. I was talking more like a competition to 980m/970m and even 960m.

Yah I guess, I am at school and school does not allow logical thinking. Somebody please put a nano inside of a laptop with a bigass battery

Cool.  Just need to nail down external GPUs as well and I might be able to avoid ever having to buy a new desktop platform and monitor for a good long stretch and just stick with a laptop.

this is pretty sweet, cant wait to see this in an actual gaming laptop with AMD GPUs

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Intriguing. I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen more FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync laptops, considering the technology was developed using a hacked/modified eDP laptop display controller. A Laptop was literally the Frankenstein that gave birth to FreeSync.

Obviously, the released, official specs of FreeSync and Adaptive-Sync are a far cry from the original mcgyver mod that AMD helped create, but you'd think it wouldn't take that long to introduce it.

In any case, this is exciting news. I personally am not too fond of gaming laptops, since I personally don't have a need for a portable gaming computer, but I know that many people do need/want them, so this allows people to get a better gaming experience for cheaper.

just gonna point out that most Carrizo laptops doesnt even come close to a gaming laptop.

this is a 500-800 USD product. So a "mid to high end colledge computer"...

For casual gaming on the cheap, this would be good. It would give you about equal FPS to a console, but with freesync (if the panel goes low enough), it would be capable of giving a much much better user experience then a console.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

just gonna point out that most Carrizo laptops doesnt even come close to a gaming laptop.

For casual gaming on the cheap, this would be good. It would give you about equal FPS to a console, but with freesync (if the panel goes low enough), it would be capable of giving a much much better user experience then a console.

Of course an $800 laptop is not "gaming grade", but you can still have some halfway decent gaming on a higher model AMD APU. Adding FreeSync means when the frames dip below 60 (Which is a near certainty with an APU, if you're playing a AAA game), then the experience won't suck.

The problem is if it dips below 30 FPS - has FreeSync/HP implemented the frame repeating system yet that G-Sync uses?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

And if you add a discrete though you can crossfire iGPU with discrete GPU and improve performance.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Of course an $800 laptop is not "gaming grade", but you can still have some halfway decent gaming on a higher model AMD APU. Adding FreeSync means when the frames dip below 60 (Which is a near certainty with an APU, if you're playing a AAA game), then the experience won't suck.

The problem is if it dips below 30 FPS - has FreeSync/HP implemented the frame repeating system yet that G-Sync uses?

I believe FreeSync is capable of as low as around 10 fps. It does depend on what HP puts in it though :(

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

AMD has added such a system. the limitation to it atm is that the refresh range of the panel must be 2.5 times the minimum reported refresh rate. So 2.5 times 30FPS (if 30Hz is min) is 75Hz.

Meaning a 60Hz panel with 30Hz minimum wouldnt be able to trigger this system. It is driver based, and AMD has stated they are working to optimized their algorithms to make the required range (2.5) lower, possibly down to 2.0 (which would mean ANY monitor would be able to use it.

It is a work in progres, AMD progress. Meaning painfully slow, but once done, it will be worth it.

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

And if you add a discrete though you can crossfire iGPU with discrete GPU and improve performance.

I believe FreeSync is capable of as low as around 10 fps. It does depend on what HP puts in it though :(

if you add a dGPU, it wont be 500-800 bucks, it would be 1000+...

AMD laptops arent selling fast, so vendors do charge a "just because we bothered" premium. They make them cuz AMD wants them to, but they know they will sell few, so they increases their margins based on low volume rather then lower margin but much much higher volume

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Indeed, it would heavily depend on what panel and controller HP puts in the laptop.

3 minutes ago, Prysin said:

AMD has added such a system. the limitation to it atm is that the refresh range of the panel must be 2.5 times the minimum reported refresh rate. So 2.5 times 30FPS (if 30Hz is min) is 75Hz.

Meaning a 60Hz panel with 30Hz minimum wouldnt be able to trigger this system. It is driver based, and AMD has stated they are working to optimized their algorithms to make the required range (2.5) lower, possibly down to 2.0 (which would mean ANY monitor would be able to use it.

It is a work in progres, AMD progress. Meaning painfully slow, but once done, it will be worth it.

If what you say is correct, then they'll need to put a 30-75Hz panel in the laptop for said system to work. I haven't seen too many details for the hard specs, but I simply assumed it was a 60Hz panel.

Technically they could do a 24-60 panel, if it is true that it has to be 2.5 times or less.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Technically they could do a 24-60 panel, if it is true that it has to be 2.5 times or less.

True, but have we even seen a FreeSync panel capable of going as low as 24Hz before?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

The "2.5 times" thing is only for the feature that allows FreeSync to repeat a frame multiple times when the FPS goes below the min Hz of the monitor.

In G-Sync, then the FPS goes to say, 23 FPS, on a 30-144Hz monitor, then it will repeat the frame, which "fakes" the response rate of the monitor up to double of 23, which would be 46Hz.

With FreeSync, when released, it simply turned off FreeSync when it went below 30Hz - either having traditional V-Sync kick in, or no sync tech at all (as per the user choice). Apparently they've adopted a similar system to G-Sync now, but require (As per @Prysin) the maximum refresh rate to be at least 2.5 times higher than the minimum.

Good. I hope AMD can get some cash to do some R&D and shit and hopefully make smart and wise decisions.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

@dalekphalm

look at this video after this point:

the two other guys is from AMD, they works on software.

The AMD Driver feature that we are talking about is "Lower Framerate Compensation".

I will correct myself. the minimum threshold for it to work IS actually 2.0 times the minimum refresh, so apparently it should work at a 30 to 60Hz display. However AMD would reccomend a 30 to 75Hz panel. But AMD reccomends 2.5 times between the minimum and maximum. This is probably to give the system a bit of leeway in order to work more reliably.

Nice to see it on consumer laptops. Glad to see adaptive sync spreading and getting to be more common.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I will be interested to see the practical results of this feature. Could be interesting.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory