I'm an aerospace engineering student: Ask me about the field if you're interested.

Hi all,

The title pretty much says it all. If there is anything you wanna know or discuss feel free to comment.

F-22-Raptor.jpg

Edit: Ooo, pretty colours.

It is possible for a neutron star to use its largely proportioned gravity to attract masses of gas to its area,  creating a new star? If so, would this star be a giant due to the huge amount of gravity present within it? Would the gravity simply create a slightly larger neutron star and not cause nuclear fission? If nuclear fission was achieved, is it possible that the outward force of the reactions would be enough to counteract its own gravity, as the neutron star has so much mass. In all of this, is it possible that such a star would have a shorter lifespan due to the numerous asteroids that would also be attracted by the large amount of gravity in the area, most of which containing iron? If i am correct, iron cannot fuse together to create energy. When enough iron is built up in the core, the gravity of the star crushes itself, as not enough power is being generated by the nuclear reaction to make it stable. Even then, that is only if the gravity of the neutron star is too great already...

It looks as if the peasants have risen up, and found swords!

But their sword's look a little short, if you know what I mean!

Good! The squires need training anyway!

46 minutes ago, TopDollar said:

What is the difference between slats and flaps.

Flaps are found on the trailing edge (back) of the wing. They increase the lift generated by the wing to allow for lower flight speeds at high angles of attack.  Slats do not really improve lift much but they allow the aircraft to reach higher angles of attack before stalling (lower stall speed).

29 minutes ago, Dapolish said:

It is possible for a neutron star to use its largely proportioned gravity to attract masses of gas to its area,  creating a new star? If so, would this star be a giant due to the huge amount of gravity present within it? Would the gravity simply create a slightly larger neutron star and not cause nuclear fission? If nuclear fission was achieved, is it possible that the outward force of the reactions would be enough to counteract its own gravity, as the neutron star has so much mass. In all of this, is it possible that such a star would have a shorter lifespan due to the numerous asteroids that would also be attracted by the large amount of gravity in the area, most of which containing iron? If i am correct, iron cannot fuse together to create energy. When enough iron is built up in the core, the gravity of the star crushes itself, as not enough power is being generated by the nuclear reaction to make it stable. Even then, that is only if the gravity of the neutron star is too great already...

I'm sorry but this is in the realm of astrophysics I think :) .  My area is more to do with spacecraft mission design etc.

9 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

What is the air-speed velocity of an un-laden swallow?

11 m/s according to Wolfram :)

how do I teach my cat to shit in the toilet with the least amount of effort!?

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

17 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

My first guess would be using canned tuna to leave a trail that leads to the desired toilet.  If the cat isn't a total moron it should figure the rest out from there...

46 minutes ago, Skull Leader said:

African or European swallow?

It looks as if the peasants have risen up, and found swords!

But their sword's look a little short, if you know what I mean!

Good! The squires need training anyway!

20 minutes ago, Dapolish said:

I was about to ask that :D

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 hours ago, LlamaDom said:

Hi all,

The title pretty much says it all. If there is anything you wanna know or discuss feel free to comment.

Do you play Kerbal Space Program ?

2 minutes ago, Generallee said:
2 minutes ago, Generallee said:

Do you play Kerbal Space Program ?

Used to, but barely get the time to anymore.

9 minutes ago, Charger said:

Are they allowing AMA threads on this forum again?

Didn't know they stopped allowing them.

22 minutes ago, Dapolish said:

No clue. I would guess European.

3 minutes ago, Overkilled said:

Is it scawry?

Scary? In terms of workload yes. But f'ing cool if you're into that stuff.

1 hour ago, Badger906 said:

Watch some Linus Cat Tips with the cat training toilet seat thing.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

1 hour ago, Dapolish said:

This is more my department, however, I am just a hobby astro-physicist so I'm not sure on everything. Ofcourse it is possible for a neutron start to attract masses of gas to its area, however, for a neutron star to come into existance you need something like a supernova and in a supernova everything besides the gas that already is forming the neutron star will be shot so far away that it will basicly take too long to go back to the neutronstar. After this I think you have a misunderstanding of what a neutron star is, it is just a star with neutrons. Protons and electrons (probably fused back into neutrons) do not exist in it, so neither do the elements. Because of this no fusion or fission can take place. You have no iron, or whatever. The lifetime will not shorten because astroid add iron because iron will not exist, they will just decrease the energy density of the star which might slightly decreases the lifespan.

Iron can fuse together but it will cost energy so it won't fuse inside a star, it will in a supernova where the energy is overflowing. When enough iron builds up in the core of a fusion based star it will run out of fuel and either just stop 'burning' (become a white dwarf or something), explode (become a supernova) or indeed collapse upon itself and form a black hole.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

3 hours ago, LlamaDom said:

Flaps are found on the trailing edge (back) of the wing. They increase the lift generated by the wing to allow for lower flight speeds at high angles of attack.  Slats do not really improve lift much but they allow the aircraft to reach higher angles of attack before stalling (lower stall speed).

Good answer. Any easy way to think about it is that flaps increase the camber of the wing and shift the entire Cl vs AOA curve up (allowing higher lift at the same AOA) whereas slats extend the curve allowing for higher AOA before stalling. Lower stall speed being a side effect since maintaining the same altitude while decreasing speed would require a higher angle of attack.

If you haven't guessed already, my degree is in Aeronautical & Mechanical engineering :P Although my job is more in a marine industry.

how accurate is kerbal space program?

Flight Simulator X?

What are all the control surfaces on an aircraft I always get confused when setting them up in FSX

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

4 hours ago, TopDollar said:

Good answer. Any easy way to think about it is that flaps increase the camber of the wing and shift the entire Cl vs AOA curve up (allowing higher lift at the same AOA) whereas slats extend the curve allowing for higher AOA before stalling. Lower stall speed being a side effect since maintaining the same altitude while decreasing speed would require a higher angle of attack.

If you haven't guessed already, my degree is in Aeronautical & Mechanical engineering :P Although my job is more in a marine industry.

That's cool. I'm thinking of consulting/IT when I'm done. I'm so done with the maths...

4 hours ago, Nexxus said:

how accurate is kerbal space program?

Flight Simulator X?

What are all the control surfaces on an aircraft I always get confused when setting them up in FSX

FSX is pretty accurate AFAIK.  Kerbal gets the basics right, but avoids al the maths (there's a lot of maths).

I'm am thinking of studying aeronautical engineering, any words of advice before I take the leap of faith.

On 10 February 2016 at 3:24 PM, Skull Leader said:

Fucking excellent! 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

4 hours ago, Znowleopard said:

I'm am thinking of studying aeronautical engineering, any words of advice before I take the leap of faith.

Honestly, make sure your mathematical skills are up to scratch.  It's a lot of maths and the workload will be big.  There will also be a lot of boring theory, but every so often there's some gold nuggets which blow your mind. (Most recent one was a lecture I had on afterburners or how the SR-71 engines worked at different speeds.)  But if you have a passion for it the go for it, just be prepared to have to work hard.

On 10 February 2016 at 2:54 PM, Dapolish said:

1.sounds plausible

2.it would not neceserraly be larger it would depend on the mass of bass attracted

3.if enough hydrogen is present, and there is enough heat it may restart.

4.if fusion did restart yea it would counteract the gravity reaching equilibrium as in all stars.

5.stars have masses amount of gravity anyway, asteroids are crazy it would not affect it. However yes iron is at the top of the fission fusion graph thing.

thing