Is my PSU about to blow?

Hackentosher

Hi, guys, before anyone shoots me, I too fell victim to the ultra low prices of the cx600m. I mean, how bad could it be if it's from corsair, right? Well tonight after some hardcore BF4, I took my headphones off and noticed my supply was ticking like crazy. Both CX series power supplies I've ever owned have made this noise, but this was much louder and in greater frequency than ever before. My specs are in my signiture, but I estimate that my rig pulls about 450-500W at the wall, but this noise scares me. (note that the fans ramping up here is my gpu fan on a bad fan curve) 20160206_234019.mp4

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Hi, guys, before anyone shoots me, I too fell victim to the ultra low prices of the cx600m. I mean, how bad could it be if it's from corsair, right? Well tonight after some hardcore BF4, I took my headphones off and noticed my supply was ticking like crazy. Both CX series power supplies I've ever owned have made this noise, but this was much louder and in greater frequency than ever before. My specs are in my signiture, but I estimate that my rig pulls about 450-500W at the wall, but this noise scares me. (note that the fans ramping up here is my gpu fan on a bad fan curve) 20160206_234019.mp4

Your PC pulls about 300W from the wall with fancy overclocks. You just have a PSU not suited for a high-end GPU like yours.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

Your PC pulls about 300W from the wall with fancy overclocks. You just have a PSU not suited for a high-end GPU like yours.

But what is causing that ticking noise?

ASU

RMA that shit or better yet sell it to an unfortunate person and buy a new one. before your pc explodes

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

Just now, Inception9269 said:

RMA that shit or better yet sell it to an unfortunate person and buy a new one. before your pc explodes

I think it's a little late to RMA.

ASU

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

Your PSU fan in all likelihood. 

I know from modifying a cx430 that the fan uses a 2 pin connector, I think ill just have to get a proper EVGA or Seasonic PSU.

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

I know from modifying a cx430 that the fan uses a 2 pin connector, I think ill just have to get a proper EVGA or Seasonic PSU.

id get seasonic or xfx, or superflower if ur on a lower budget, evga's lower teir aren't the greatest either

6 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

I'd do that ;) PM me when you're looking at units so I can help ya out down the road.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

id get seasonic or xfx, or superflower if ur on a lower budget, evga's lower teir aren't the greatest either

What about Fractal or NZXT powersupplies?

ASU

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I'd do that ;) PM me when you're looking at units so I can help ya out down the road.

I did it so I could get 2 12V and 2 ground out of it to power a Prusa i3 3D printer... We don't talk about that...

ASU

Just now, Aytex said:

meh

Well I want something that wont tick or explode on me, I'm not looking for the best.

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

Well I want something that wont tick or explode on me, I'm not looking for the best.

as i recap, if your on a low budget get xfx, seasonic, or superflower

just because its your favorite brand dosen't mean its gud :)

Just now, Aytex said:

as i recap, if your on a low budget get xfx, seasonic, or superflower

just because its your favorite brand dosen't mean its gud :)

Lol true that.

ASU

3 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

What about Fractal or NZXT powersupplies?

PSU whitelist in my sig

Not all units from one brand are going to be good or bad

Just now, Aytex said:

btw do you live in north america? I would love to have someone to play with on hardcore bf4 ;)

Ya, im in 'zona

ASU

3 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

PSU whitelist in my sig

Not all units from one brand are going to be good or bad

Getting back on track, from what I've heard, Super Flower makes the base unit then board partners rebrand them? Any suggestions of which rebrand to get? I don't want to spend much more than $80 at the very most.

ASU

4 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Getting back on track, from what I've heard, Super Flower makes the base unit then board partners rebrand them? Any suggestions of which rebrand to get? I don't want to spend much more than $80 at the very most.

EVGA B2/GS/GQ/G2 are all good.

7 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

EVGA B2/GS/GQ/G2 are all good.

I think I'll end up with the GQ. It's the cheapest on Amazon, I just hope my existing supply can last until I can afford its replacement.

ASU

34 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The suitability of a power supply has nothing to do with whether or not the components are "high end" or "low end." Electrical load is electrical load - you said it yourself. The power draw of the system is low. It's not hard to run, but then you mention that the GPU is "high end" and then say the power supply wasn't meant for it. Electrical load is electrical load.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch