new tech heater element for apartments

blorkborg

A French company developed heating elements for apartments with four CPUs in it. The consumer uses it like a normal heater while the company sells the computing power to editors etc.

They dont really go into hardware details but the concept seems to be interesting

The interesting part starts at about 3:30min
The video is in French (which shouldnt be a problem in Canada 
;) ) http://www.arte.tv/magazine/futuremag/fr/linnovation-jugaad-065882-005

or German http://www.arte.tv/magazine/futuremag/de/weniger-ist-mehr-065882-005

21 minutes ago, blorkborg said:

A French company developed heating elements for apartments with four CPUs in it. The consumer uses it like a normal heater while the company sells the computing power to editors etc.

They dont really go into hardware details but the concept seems to be interesting

The interesting part starts at about 3:30min
The video is in French (which shouldnt be a problem in Canada 
;) ) http://www.arte.tv/magazine/futuremag/fr/linnovation-jugaad-065882-005

or German http://www.arte.tv/magazine/futuremag/de/weniger-ist-mehr-065882-005

Haha I do the same with my PC and F@H.

Start a work unit in the morning when it's 18,5°C and the 400 watt heater kicks in. By the time the WU is finished it's 23°C and it feels nice ;)

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

I think IBM uses the water that cools their servers as a heater for the hall building aswell

Love the idea, imagine you can lend random People on the Internet your pc when you don't Need it and make Money out of it...

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

On 6/2/2016 at 6:59 AM, Prysin said:

inb4 quad AMD FX 9590

More like 4.4GHz Xeon X5450.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 6/2/2016 at 1:57 PM, blorkborg said:

The video is in French (which shouldnt be a problem in Canada ;) )

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA... ha. Good one.

The idea is quite good, but you have to factor in the energy needed to produce the chips. Processing wavers is a very energy hungry and polluting.

when they use old HW from datacenters it's fine. When chips will be produced extra for this heaters, it migth be worse for the environnement.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

4 hours ago, C0LL0SS0S said:

Love the idea, imagine you can lend random People on the Internet your pc when you don't Need it and make Money out of it...

a lot of people lend their pc to other people online but dont know it and dont get any money

but the pay thing would be nice. you can donate computing power for searching prime number

On 2/6/2016 at 1:57 PM, blorkborg said:

The video is in French (which shouldnt be a problem in Canada ;) )

If only the video worked in Canada haha, I'm hoping the consumer gets some of the money that the company gets from selling the computing power. It'd have to be a lot for it to be worth heating a house with electricity over natural gas let alone trying to be cheaper than wood around here too. Heating with wood is pretty common, and is pretty cheap if you cut it yourself, although I'm getting way off-topic now.

Interesting idea though, I wonder how bad the fluctuation on available computing power would be with people's heaters turning on and off all the time.

Can anyone confirm this isnt a hoax?

i mean it seriously sounds like one...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

4 hours ago, linuxfan66 said:

Can anyone confirm this isnt a hoax?

i mean it seriously sounds like one...

the report was on arte, a french-german tv cooperation funded by both governements and normally doesnt report bullshit. the concept of distributing computing power is already used in bitcoin mining and searching for prime numbers. to me it sounds quite doable as long as people dont switch the heater on and of every minute