The FEDs are here! They've taken our beloved Clearview font! :(

AlTech

The FEDs have decided to change their font to their original  font called "Highway Gothic". It was previously using a font called "Clearview" but they decided to change.

Unless you're a typography buff, you might not have noticed the new font that's been popping up on highway signs over the past decade. It's called Clearview and it's been around since 2004. For much of its life, researchers (including its designer, Meeker & Associates) believed the font could provide for better legibility at night and at longer distances.

But, it turns out, later research has not backed up this initial belief. It turns out that all that research suggesting the new font might be more legible was more due to the fact that older, worn signs were being replaced with nice, fresh, clean signs which were, naturally, more legible.

Clearview also made legibility worse on signs with what's called negative-contrast color orientations — dark letters on light backgrounds — like speed limit or yellow warning signs. As such, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) is killing off Clearview after 12 years, and all new highway signs again be labeled in Highway Gothic, the old standard font.

1feds_font.PNG.435408f4722010527af61a4c1c

Here is a side by side shot of the new fonts (below):

Note - The old one is on the right and the new one is on the left.

fed_font2.PNG.e1cc34f7e2f2604fdf567ac6bc

"This is a good move by FHWA," said Colorado Department of Transportation spokesperson Amy Ford. It also lets highway departments avoid wasting "tax-payer dollars replacing signs with a font that didn't turn out to be as effective as it was thought it could be, so our system doesn't end up with a mixture of fonts, and allows researchers more time to continue to evaluate font effectiveness for driver legibility."

Leave a comment below!

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/4/10919686/clearview-highway-font-fhwa-highway-gothic

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I really dislike those Green signs you Americans use, there are other colours, which are much better especially at night, but hey who am I to judge data :D Good luck with the new font I guess :D

About me | Blog 

I only see two differences. First the New-Old shown is weathered alot (its old duh). Second the lower case 'L' has no curve at the bottom. THAT IS ALL.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

is there any big difference between the fonts?

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

2 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

I only see two differences. First the New-Old shown is weathered alot (its old duh). Second the lower case 'L' has no curve at the bottom. THAT IS ALL.

not worried about the missing mile?

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

not only a new font, everything is closer!!!

The new font is cleaner for sure

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

The Highway gothic is easier to see when driving apparently.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

Between the time the two pictures of the sign were taken the town must have grown by a mile, or the signs are from different sides of the town.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I agree that the new font is clearer I'd rather have them look up the dying public infrastructure all around the US. We need modern public transport, new bridges or ones that badly needs repaired not just some fonts.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

28 minutes ago, Bsmith said:

The space between the bars in 'H' is bigger, the 'l' doens't have a 'curvy' end and the top is slanted instead of being horizontal, the top of the 'h' and 't' letters are also slanted, the 'o' is more oval shaped and the 'B' has a flatter look.

I think the new one (which is apparently the old one used before 2004) has more charachter. I quite like the change.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Clearview SUCKS, especially the numerals

Especially with how PennDOT handles it. 

FHWA Highway Gothic here we come!

You can hear from roadgeeks and what they have to say on the issue here http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=1411.msg2122122#msg2122122

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

34 minutes ago, Kherm said:

Clearview SUCKS, especially the numerals

Especially with how PennDOT handles it. 

FHWA Highway Gothic here we come!

You can hear from roadgeeks and what they have to say on the issue here http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=1411.msg2122122#msg2122122

Looks like we have some advertisement for a competing forum there.

This is... Tech news? 

4 hours ago, Deli said:

This is Tech news??

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

This is... Tech news? 

I suppose that depends on how much technology you see in fonts and typography. It's a pretty complex subject actually. But I think in the context of our forum, Off-Topic is probably the better fit. Therefore, moved.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic