I made a DISGUSTING discovery and it has caused a dilemma.

So... Today, after owning my i5  4670k and z87 sabertooth for 3 years, I decided to overclock it. Okay, I went straight in with a 4.6GHz overclock, and it didnt boot. So, I dialled it down to 4.3GHz (expecting to raise to 4.4 afterwards), no boot. I tried a few more time until I got to the original clock speed of my CPU. It booted and seems stable... I looked into the issue and found nothing that pointed to this being a heard-of issue. Do I have the worlds first 'K' model that doesn't overclock?

But here's the annoyance of it all... I wanted to start streaming and video editing, games like BF4 and Rainbow 6 Siege; and upgrade my 1080p displays to 1440p displays and get a gtx970/980/1070/1080 in a few months in order to stream those games. So from here I dont know what to do... do I upgrade my cpu to skylake? Does it even matter that it doesnt overclock if the main purpose is to stream? :?

Please leave any advice, or opinions below.

Thanks! :D

Well, maybe it just needs more voltage.

but you could just have a really bad overclocking CPU (those exist, it's not a perfect easy process, making CPU's)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, DanteOnLTT said:

So... Today, after owning my i5  4670k and z87 sabertooth for 3 years, I decided to overclock it. Okay, I went straight in with a 4.6GHz overclock, and it didnt boot. So, I dialled it down to 4.3GHz (expecting to raise to 4.4 afterwards), no boot. I tried a few more time until I got to the original clock speed of my CPU. It booted and seems stable... I looked into the issue and found nothing that pointed to this being a heard-of issue. Do I have the worlds first 'K' model that doesn't overclock?

But here's the annoyance of it all... I wanted to start streaming and video editing, games like BF4 and Rainbow 6 Siege; and upgrade my 1080p displays to 1440p displays and get a gtx970/980/1070/1080 in a few months in order to stream those games. So from here I dont know what to do... do I upgrade my cpu to skylake? Does it even matter that it doesnt overclock if the main purpose is to stream? :?

Did you touch the voltage at all?

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

2 minutes ago, roctrebira said:

Did you touch the voltage at all?

Yes, I did indeed, I even went and watched one of Linus' videos to see if I had done something wrong... :/

1 minute ago, DanteOnLTT said:

Yes, I did indeed, I even went and watched one of Linus' videos to see if I had done something wrong... :/

Huh thats really odd then.

[CPU-i5 4690k] [MB-Asus Maximus VII Hero] [GPU-Asus Matirx 980ti] [Ram-8GB Corsair Vengeance ram] [ Cooling-Corsair H100i/ 3 Noctua NF-P12 for intake] [sSD/HDD-120GB evo/ 1TB WB Caviar blue] [Case-NZXT H440] [Dell U3415W]

That is what we call completely losing the silicon lottery, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ,  it could be due to use, or the moba but the chips don't really have any guarantee so it may have always been a sub-par bin.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

That is what we call completely losing the silicon lottery, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ,  it could be due to use, or the moba but the chips don't really have any guarantee so it may have always been a sub-par bin.

Yeah this seems quite probable, :( ah well!

The cpu is still perfectly usable at stock speeds... it may not be quite as fast but it wouldn't have been a night and day difference anyway.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

how much voltage did you add

you can always upgrade to a 4790k, those can be found for less than $300 bnib

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

At 4.6GHz I ran 1.4V and went down incrementally with the clockspeed. 

Just now, Enderman said:

But won't really be worth it looking at cost and and performance gain. If I'd decide to upgrade in his situation I would get a completely new platform (imo)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Just now, GER_T4IGA said:

But won't really be worth it looking at cost and and performance gain. If I'd decide to upgrade in his situation I would get a completely new platform (imo)

uh, no...

its much cheaper to buy a used 4790k than a brand new 6700k+z170 motherboard

the 6700k wont be a huge improvement over the 4790k, but the 490k will definitely be far better than his 4670k for streaming and recording

plus he can sell the 4670k for over $150, so overall the upgrade to a 4790k will be less than $150 while upgrading to skylake would cost $400+

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

uh, no...

its much cheaper to buy a used 4790k than a brand new 6700k+z170 motherboard

the 6700k wont be a huge improvement over the 4790k, but the 490k will definitely be far better than his 4670k for streaming and recording

plus he can sell the 4670k for over $150, so overall the upgrade to a 4790k will be less than $150 while upgrading to skylake would cost $400+

Agreed on the price but I though about that posting my initial response.

I would just upgrade my platform if I am already dealing with removing th cooler and stuff. Might not seemt o reasonable to everybody but that is just me being me.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

Just now, GER_T4IGA said:

Agreed on the price but I though about that posting my initial response.

I would just upgrade my platform if I am already dealing with removing th cooler and stuff. Might not seemt o reasonable to everybody but that is just me being me.

???

wtf how is not removing he cooler going to save you any time?

is removing a PCU cooler that difficult for you? it takes like 20 seconds...

and how are you going to sell the CPU and motherboard separately if you dont take the cooler off lol

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

???

wtf how is not removing he cooler going to save you any time?

is removing a PCU cooler that difficult for you? it takes like 20 seconds...

and how are you going to sell the CPU and motherboard separately if you dont take the cooler off lol

It is not about the cooler. but about the upgrade in general but go ahead and kill me if you want to. He asked for opinions (if i recall correctly) and I gave mine. Period. You don'T HAVE to agree ;)

3.Use

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

It is not about the cooler. but about the upgrade in general but go ahead and kill me if you want to. He asked for opinions (if i recall correctly) and I gave mine. Period. You don'T HAVE to agree ;)

so you think that pulling a motherboard out, putting in the new CPU, new motherboard, new cooler, and reinstalling windows is easier than just pulling the old CPU out and popping a new one in????

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

so you think that pulling a motherboard out, putting in the new CPU, new motherboard, new cooler, and reinstalling windows is easier than just pulling the old CPU out and popping a new one in????

9 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

You don'T HAVE to agree

End of the story on my side.

3.Use

54 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

If I'd decide to upgrade in his situation I would get a completely new platform (imo)

Alright, I feel like you're right... The problem is that this will take out most of my stream budget. What in your opinion is the most important thing when it comes to my setup/streaming setup? Graphics card and a 1440p monitor, adobe premier pro, or a mic and mic arm? or something else?

9 minutes ago, DanteOnLTT said:

Alright, I feel like you're right... The problem is that this will take out most of my stream budget. What in your opinion is the most important thing when it comes to my setup/streaming setup? Graphics card and a 1440p monitor, adobe premier pro, or a mic and mic arm? or something else?

2 things.

1: fairly sure you've done SOMETHING wrong, as even at 1.4v even the shittiest CPU should go up .1ghz, if only there was a way for me to go through your BIOS for you.

2: If having your CPU OCed means that much to you, RMA the CPU, or buy a 4790k. The 4690k at stock will still be more than sufficient for streaming, and no upgrades are necessary. Just pick up a mic and arm for it, and download adobe premier pro and get going. Also, 1440p is going to be difficult for a 970 to push. I'd reccomend dual 390s/970s or single 980ti. Not particularly worth it for streaming, as you likely won't even be streaming 1440p quality anyways, as that requires a large amount of bandwidth and horsepower.

Best option: stay 1080p, get an IPS/144hz monitor, get a nice mic and arm (very important) and pick up a 390x and OC it.

Use quick sync on the 4690k to do the encoding and you've got 980 level performance for 150$ cheaper, allowing you to throw extra money at the mic, maybe a Rode NT1-A?

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

11 minutes ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

Best option: stay 1080p, get an IPS/144hz monitor, get a nice mic and arm (very important) and pick up a 390x and OC it.

Thanks! You the man!

2 hours ago, GER_T4IGA said:

End of the story on my side.

the problem is that what youre saying doesnt make any logical sense at all

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

the problem is that what youre saying doesnt make any logical sense at all

My mouse broke...didnt feel like unplugging it from the back of the case. Went to Best Buy and bought the PC that the employee recommended. He said it had the wifis so it was the best.

4 hours ago, DanteOnLTT said:

What's the cache ratio set to?