Custom Pc's in Schools

Sweatford

Hi guys, 

I work at a School in England as a IT apprentice and my mentor says that custom PC's aren't really viable for Schools, but why ?

Cuz money...

School's like to purchase using grants or pcs subsidised by various special things like tesco school vouchers and all that bollox...

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

clearly they have money to waste.

||AMD FX-8150 ||asrock 990fx extreme||16GB DDR3|| AMD Radeon R8 M350DX||Dell S2409W 24"||LG 23"D2342P||

1 minute ago, JaredM54 said:

Too time consuming to build/maintain + cheaper to buy a bunch of pre made ones.

Agree, although the year 11s in the school I worked at did a project on building pcs and these pcs were integrated and used everyday on the school's network... Needless to say they were all cr@p and used to require re-imaging constantly...

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

Building custom PCs is a huge waste of time and investment in resources: people and hardware. Not to mention what if all the motherboards came DOA?

Thats why Dell Exists, Dell's part replacement service is the best ive seen.

||AMD FX-8150 ||asrock 990fx extreme||16GB DDR3|| AMD Radeon R8 M350DX||Dell S2409W 24"||LG 23"D2342P||

6 minutes ago, Minzo said:

They need someone to blame if shit goes down.

If a student builds all the computers, who is going to do the support? The student?

They need a reliable manufacturer.

ARE YOU SAYING IM UNRELIABLE!?

I7-6700k @ 4.8Ghz, EVGA Z170 Classified, Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8 32 GB, EVGA FTW+ ACX 2.0 GeForce GTX 980ti 6 GB x3, 2Tb WD Black x3, 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo, 400Gb Intel NVME PCIE SSD, Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold, Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Brown RGB, SteelSeries Sensei Raw

8 minutes ago, ShiroArikawa said:

ARE YOU SAYING IM UNRELIABLE!?

buying indivual parts, is nonsense especially when you can lease pcs from dell, they will look after every pc componant and the end of the lease they will return the system to them or you can purchase them for a $1 per computer.

https://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/dell-business-lease

3 minutes ago, derekb108 said:

buying indivual parts, is nonsense especially when you can lease pcs from dell, they will look after every pc componant and the end of the lease they will return the system to them or you can purchase them for a $1 per computer.

https://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/dell-business-lease

Remove the comma boy.

I7-6700k @ 4.8Ghz, EVGA Z170 Classified, Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8 32 GB, EVGA FTW+ ACX 2.0 GeForce GTX 980ti 6 GB x3, 2Tb WD Black x3, 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo, 400Gb Intel NVME PCIE SSD, Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold, Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Brown RGB, SteelSeries Sensei Raw

1 minute ago, ShiroArikawa said:

Remove the comma boy.

Spoiler

Noooooooooooooo!

1 minute ago, derekb108 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Noooooooooooooo!

Learn to play upon the wrath of the forums, as you are indeed new.

I'm not sure about England, but I know that in the States, schools often have a very small budget and rely on sponsorship for their PCs. For example, my middle school had a program sponsored by Dell, and every PC in the school was a shitty Dell. The computer club was even part of their "Dell Tech Know How" program, where we got to "build our own PCs" (aka refurbish our own shitty Dell desktop), and take them home. It was pretty cool.

EDIT: Another point that may be an issue, is something that my sister (who's a teacher) brought up the other day. When buying with grant money and such, the websites you're allowed to use is VERY limited. She needed a graphics tablet for her classroom (she uses it for students to draw on the projector screen), and was told she had to go through the manufacturer's site directly for the product. On one hand, she ended up with a $300 Wacom to meet her size/wireless needs. On the other, she could have gotten three of the Chinese branded one I recommended for the same price, lol. If you had to do this for a PC, this would easily drive the cost up like crazy, since they're always selling their parts for MSRP.

1 minute ago, ShiroArikawa said:

Learn to play upon the wrath of the forums, as you are indeed new.

won't be new for long! lol!

2 minutes ago, FoxxyRin said:

I'm not sure about England, but I know that in the States, schools often have a very small budget and rely on sponsorship for their PCs. For example, my middle school had a program sponsored by Dell, and every PC in the school was a shitty Dell. The computer club was even part of their "Dell Tech Know How" program, where we got to "build our own PCs" (aka refurbish our own shitty Dell desktop), and take them home. It was pretty cool.

Ah, no fair. I wish my school did that.... They have macs from 2007 with Duo e3xxx's in them with 4 gb of 1067mhz ddr2, OR the better alternative, dell HTPC's with an Intel duo e8400 and 4gb of 1067 Mhz ddr2

Just now, Minzo said:

Yes.

You rude swedish boy, I'll call your king and get you locked up in a mexican prison.

4 minutes ago, ShiroArikawa said:

Ah, no fair. I wish my school did that.... They have macs from 2007 with Duo e3xxx's in them with 4 gb of 1067mhz ddr2, OR the better alternative, dell HTPC's with an Intel duo e8400 and 4gb of 1067 Mhz ddr2

It wasn't that great. Most of them died within 6 months, lmao. Their specs were also horrible. I don't remember the processor or anything, but they had like 128GB HDDs and less than 2GB of RAM. This was ~10 years ago, back when XP was shiny and new. Even by the standards then, I remember the PCs freakin' sucked. The only cool thing about them was the fact that I got to bring home an Enterprise copy of Windows XP, which my sister's boyfriend bought off me for $50 at the time. Only now I know how stupid I was, but $50 is a LOT of money when you're 12! LOL.

youse are lucky, my school was still using Mackintosh classic II computers when I left in 2003.

Macintosh_Classic_2.jpg

Although we're not talking about a gaming PC here "per se", the point this video makes is somewhat applicable here, companies buy components in bulk and get them much cheaper that way - you could say you get a better value. And you know how schools ano other goverment agencies are when it comes to "money saving".

But more importantly, I think that  @Kirky2k15 @derekb108 have nailed the correct answer up there, it's much cheaper to lease a PC from dell or to justify your subsidised costs when pucrhasing pre-built systems in bulk than individual components, it would be a nightmare to anyone who's not a techhead. Remember, we do this as a hobby and enjoy building PCs, for people who work at schools it's just that - work, and everyone wants their work to be as simple as possible. Combine that with what I've said before and I think we have an answer for your question. :)

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Custom PCs are the route my team take in the IT team for the College I work at, but we have to put a lot of man time into the builds.

It is cheaper and means we get to take advantage of longer warranties on individual RAM kits from Kingston and Pro Samsung SSDs.

Each build including an OEM Windows OS install/license costs us £330 - i3, 8GB RAM, SSD, XFX PSU. We always get whatever the latest i3 is.

Warranty and support that come with bulk orders of pre-built machines are the sole reason why most businesses and organizations don't do custom PCs. Life is so much easier when you tell HP/Dell/etc... "this doesn't work" and you send the whole unit back and get a brand new replacement without having to jump through hoops or pay anything extra.

-KuJoe

I suppose you and your college team need your PCs for a specific purpose, as opposed to a general purpose the school PCs are meant for?

Also, as I've demonstrated with Linus's video up there, the prebuilts are generally much better value for money if you buy a general purpose PC, as ASUS pays much less for a celeron, or a pentium chip than we would in retail....

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Prebuilts are cheaper, especially when you're buying in bulk. The average school here (within city limits, that is), has at least 60-70 PCs (which includes IT classes and other uses, such as non-IT labs and whatnot).

Most schools (here, at least) handle purchases through a higher authority than the school itself, and there's contracts and deals in the middle of all of this.

Cheaper isn't always better, but that's what they think around here at least.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220