Windows 10 has a Linux sub-system?!

GoodBytes

Here is an interesting bit. People are noticing in the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview (build 14251) new system files, with the names of lxcore.sys and lxss.sys.
It is believed that those are Linux files. While Microsoft is giving 0 information yet, the speculation machine is coming up with 2 theories:

linux.jpg

1- Project Astoria on Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile is coming. While exiting, why would Windows 10 non-Mobile need Android app support? Maybe, Windows 10 on small form factor tablets would benefit from this, but based on job description of new job posting, Windows 10 Mobile for x86-64 Intel architecture is what being looked at, or in the works, so why have these files on Windows 10 non Mobile?

2- They'll get removed for Windows 10 Home/Pro, and be part of Windows 10 Server edition to run Unix/Linux programs, which is an area which will really benefits Windows Server editions.

Source: http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-10/

So what do you think it is? Or do you think it has no relationship with anything, and are just random new files.

@Speedbird you might have something to say about this.

On January 30, 2016 at 5:37 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

Sounds about right. IIRC Microsoft Azure has a Linux variant/runs on Linux.

Azure uses Hyper-V for its virtual machines, but also has linux options to choose from such as Ubuntu Server, OpenSUSE, etc. I would guess that those are also running from within Hyper-V

Microsoft made a UNIX subsystem for 7 Enterprise before but they deprecated and removed it in 8 and 8.1 respectively.

This would be a neat feature for some, but I'd rather prefer they do it the other way - a Windows subsystem in a Linux distro.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

If I know Microsoft (and I do), they'll claim to have invented Linux, and support will be shitty.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Humm no. You don't know Microsoft.

Meh, suit yourself.  A lot of crap they recently integrated into Windows 10 and Windows server, they act like they invented it.  And more often than not, they implement things poorly.  For example, ReFS.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

6 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

Microsoft made a UNIX subsystem for 7 Enterprise before but they deprecated and removed it in 8 and 8.1 respectively.

This would be a neat feature for some, but I'd rather prefer they do it the other way - a Windows subsystem in a Linux distro.

The UNIX subsystem for Windows is even older than 7. It was first released in Windows Server 2003 R2 (and Windows Vista for consumers). Before that it was being developed by a third party company all the way back in the 90's (later got bought by Microsoft, and then with the release of Windows 8 they killed it off). It was pretty shit though so people who wanted access to UNIX utilities just used Cygwin instead. Maybe Microsoft will make a decent version this time.

Edit:

Just now, AnnoyedShelf said:

Meh, suit yourself.  A lot of crap they recently integrated into Windows 10 and Windows server, they act like they invented it.  And more often than not, they implement things poorly.  For example, ReFS.

Well, they did make ReFS. It would actually be better for us if Microsoft just copied one of the superior file systems already out there, but they didn't.

3 hours ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

If I know Microsoft (and I do), they'll claim to have invented Linux, and support will be shitty.

I believe you are thinking of Apple there bud.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

10 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I believe you are thinking of Apple there bud.

I agree with SansVarnic on this one, it's apple that takes an idea then claims it as their own.

Microsoft is just the one that pumps shit full of bugs, features nobody wants, spyware, and rips out features that people want...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

If Microsoft did bring Android app support, I'd download the first N.O.V.A. game (the only good one) and get the audio files fixed.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

4 hours ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

Are they really acting like they invented it, or are you just taking it that way?

Ouuuu, ok here is what I think. I think they will bring a full linux support like Sigwin for developers. More specifically on the web developers side who's tools are very Unix based. We will have to wait and see. 

oh gosh the thought of windows server running both linux and windows programs...

not sure what to think of that.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I hope they are using Linux, it'd be pretty cool. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

If this is a Linux addition to Windows server it would be a good thing since Linux has shown to be better at large server support than windows server. Though I could be wrong since my experience with servers is minimal at best.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@AnnoyedShelf your sig's broken.

OT: this is really interesting. I really hope that this brings android app support to desktop. My school does alot of work on mobile and being able to work on desktop would help a lot.

- snip-

4 hours ago, Albatross said:

I hope they are using Linux, it'd be pretty cool. :)

We all know that everybody and their mother uses Linux for servers (except Linus because Windows Server 2012 R 2 for the win).

But I imagine that they use some Linux things.

10 hours ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

OH MY GOD! Mac OS X is not Linux! IT's not even close! IT's based on BSD! @GoodBytesWhy does everybody get this wrong? It's pisses me off. Linux is damn good! BSD is BSD.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

OH MY GOD! Mac OS X is not Linux! IT's not even close! IT's based on BSD! @GoodBytesWhy does everybody get this wrong? It's pisses me off. Linux is damn good! BSD is BSD.

BSD is based off of Unix though.  Linux is also Unix. 

2 minutes ago, Yummychickenblue said:

But both are very different.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

9 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

If this is a Linux addition to Windows server it would be a good thing since Linux has shown to be better at large server support than windows server. Though I could be wrong since my experience with servers is minimal at best.

It is dependent on what you want to do with it. For most roles Linux is better however there are reasons for Windows server in business and consumer settings as a server.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

17 hours ago, AnnoyedShelf said:

You're thinking of Apple, buddy.

5 hours ago, Yummychickenblue said:

Linux is not Unix.

• 1 month later...