Linus said never do this....

GeorgeKellow

Before I start I know this is in the wrong section but I cant start a thread in there for some reason (can someone explain?)

Anyway I was watching this video 

And linus said to never do it, Why not? 

He does lots of things you shouldn't.  8 refurbished SSDs in RAID0 anyone?

Do as he says, not as he does :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I run all my case fans like that :)  :P  :P  :P

Because electricity is scary. 

But in all seriousness, there's nothing wrong with doing it. just be sure to keep track of any adapters you modify and never use them for anything that isn't a fan/led/something else simple. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The risk of permanently damaging something is very very high.

So should I never do this with a fan continuously then? 

As long as you change the pins around on BOTH sides, you are fine, but you are right, damage is quite easily possible. I like my floppy drive fan hub mod in my signature though :)

Had to do this last week... Not 7V, but 5V... Hacked together a Molex to 4-Pin-Fan-connector that only supplies 5V... Apparently the PWM-controller on my CPU/Board was broken and this noisy Intel stock heatsink ramped up to full speed all the time :P At least I got some heatshrink laying around so it's properly isolated... Not my best work, but it was 3am, so I was pretty tired...

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

do as he says not as he does. all though sometimes do neither...

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

8 refurbished SSDs in RAID0 anyone?

To be honest I'd put 20 in raid 0 without a second thought if I had a reliable backup

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

To be honest I'd put 20 in raid 0 without a second thought if I had a reliable backup

then run them all on modified molex to sata power adapters :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I think the main difference is that if Linus' computer starts on fire and burns down half the room, he can just go "Crap, well, let me just go into this closet here and lets see.. 5960x, uhh.. x99 deluxe.. 30,000 gb of ram just cause.. 4 titan x.. Here Luke, hold this crap I gotta grab one of these cases..."

Where most of us just go.. "F**k.  Alright.. I can.. uh.. go sell a kidney.. I guess.."

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

I think the main difference is that if Linus' computer starts on fire and burns down half the room, he can just go "Crap, well, let me just go into this closet here and lets see.. 5960x, uhh.. x99 deluxe.. 30,000 gb of ram just cause.. 4 titan x.. Here Luke, hold this crap I gotta grab one of these cases..."

Where most of us just go.. "F**k.  Alright.. I can.. uh.. go sell a kidney.. I guess.."

They don't actually have anywhere near as much hardware on hand as people think - a lot of that stuff is sent in, used over and over in several different builds, and then often sent back - but I do still image him doing that :P

then run them all on modified molex to sata power adapters :P

mighta s well lol

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

a kidney and a lung...

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

It basically uses the +5V connection from the power supply as a ground for the 12V being fed to the fan. If there's enough other devices drawing current through the +5V rail (hard drives, USB devices, etc) so that the "net current" is still positive, it's fine, but if you're like me and you make one of these adapters and use it to test a 3000rpm server fan on a bare power supply shorted with a paper clip with no other devices attached :D bad things happen. If your power supply is from a reputable manufacturer then you'll probably trip the OCP (over-current protection) failsafe and the power supply will shut itself off, but if you have a terrible low quality PSU there's a good bet something will explode.

With systems moving away from mechanical hard drives to pure solid-state storage, there aren't that many devices that put a high load on the 5V rail, so if you have more than one low-power fan using these adapters, you might not get the results you hope for.

Linus also said try not to mix ram frequencies unless you have to. In which case it's probably fine.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

Is undervolting my CPU at stock speed dangerous? I do so every summer.

Linus is my fetish.