why do AMD / Nvidia have to fix broken games

Stefan1024

This is something I was allways wondering about.

I mean you have an API and a lot of design guideliness how to use it. And I'm pretty sure they have also seminars for developers.

So how came they have to do work we paid the game company for?

Intel don't have to alter the bios if you develop an application nor does ARM when you develop an app.

I know the guys at AMD and Nvidia know very well how the GPU works and how to get better performance. So they can do the best work.

But in my opinion they only have to deliver the hardware and a good interface to use it (API). The higher levels are made by the game developers. They get paiyed for the game so it theier job, IMHO.

And if they are unable to do it by themself they should at least pay AMD / Nvidia for the work they do.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Nvidia already wants payments through GameBreaks

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I 100% agree with you

it should be the game developers responsability to do their job as expected

why don't we see Intel or Realtek releasing drivers left and right when a new software comes out

Imagine we would have to wait for Intel or Killer Ethernet driver patch every time Linus released a new video on youtube....

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

It is a little odd that there seems to need to be a new "game ready driver" every time there is a new game.  No other hardware gets updated like that for the release of a program (game)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

It is a little odd that there seems to need to be a new "game ready driver" every time there is a new game.  No other hardware gets updated like that for the release of a program (game)

Maybe has something to do with DirectX11 and the graphics Pipeline

let's hope Explicit Multi Adapter brings and end into this paradigm

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

This is what DX12 aims to fix. it puts a lot more responsibility in the hands of developers, and a lot more control. 

On the other hand, Developers have to triage optimization work, because time is money, and they only have so much time to optimize. In a perfect world, Developers would work on a game until it was completely polished, and then release it when ready, but often a project has deadlines to prevent developers from milking a job (which they would if there were no deadlines).

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Money talks. That's why Ubisoft had the string of shitty ports in 2014.

So, the plan was to make money by releasing crap no one would buy?  hm...

How'd that work out for them again? *cough* stock price falls 9% in one day *cough* :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

So, the plan was to make money by releasing crap no one would buy?  hm...

How'd that work out for them again? *cough* stock price falls 9% in one day *cough* :P

Unity sold well. The Crew sold decently. Watch Dogs sold really well. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Unity sold well. The Crew sold decently. Watch Dogs sold really well. 

well that's highly illogical

now they'll be motivated to do it again since apparently that strategy works  :huh:

well that's highly illogical

Most gamers just want to play games. They don't really care.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

Blaming the Developer is like blaming the poor slob stuck behind the counter. You feel better but all you really did is take out your aggression on someone with no control to fix the problem.

You want games fixed? STOP BUYING SHIT GAMES

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Blaming the Developer is like blaming the poor slob stuck behind the counter. You feel better but all you really did is take out your aggression on someone with no control to fix the problem.

You want games fixed? STOP BUYING SHIT GAMES

EA. They have bugs that make gfx drivers seem insignificant

You want games fixed?

I agree 100%, but really, there's already so many people that are used to it (it being bugs, horrible optimization, horrible servers ect) that it would be a negligible difference to developers. So negligible that they would be able to continue doing what they're doing, releasing buggier and buggier games. Dev fanboys and franchise fanboys will keep buying their games, no matter how bad. I'm sure that's enough for devs to get the quick buck they're looking for.

I used to be quite active here.

I agree 100%, but really, there's already so many people that are used to it (it being bugs, horrible optimization, horrible servers ect) that it would be a negligible difference to developers. So negligible that they would be able to continue doing what they're doing, releasing buggier and buggier games. Dev fanboys and franchise fanboys will keep buying their games, no matter how bad. I'm sure that's enough for devs to get the quick buck they're looking for.

Sonic 06

Sonic 06

lol

I used to be quite active here.

If I offered you twice the money to do a half assed job at work, would you turn it down? How about if your boss offered, or the owner of the company drew up a contract that gave you twice the money to do half the work?

It's easy to dehumanize and villainize the developer. That takes responsibility off our shoulders.

If the game is broken, and the developer does nothing to fix it then I believe the people who bought it before knowing it was a shit game are entitled to bitch.  Also, a shit game is way too opinionated.

Well, enjoy your shit games. Because until you take responsibility for your purchases it won't change. And that's coming from someone who worked for a developer.

It's a two way street. The game devs and the GPU devs can only do so much on either side. If AMD supports the game 100%, but the game devs don't care then the game will have poor performance no matter what, and vice versa.

Like take Fallout 4 as an example. Both GPU vendors have supported the game to the best they could(as far as we seen), but the game itself has massive issues with drawcalls and culling, which the game devs can only fix, not the GPU vendors.

At no point did I say I do that.  My point is that too many reviewers get paid off, so they aren't a reliable source for finding out if a game is good enough.  That leaves the consumer to playing the lottery with their games.  There has to be someone who buys it first to see if it is good or not or playable.  You're basically saying that's their fault, and because they are the consumer then they should suffer.  It's a developer's job to make a game, fix the game, and make sure their game is sellable.  Otherwise, they're pretty much capable of being sued for the sake fo false advertising.  So, why is the consumer to blame?

Watch reviews from trusted testers, don't get your information from magazines and websites with advertisements for the game being tested. :lol:  Use Steam where you can get a return if the game sucks. Not that difficult, and if it was I hope I fixed that problem for you :D

I'm probably too passionate about it as a dev major, but I still think a lazy dev should be blamed for being lazy/not doing their job.

Like I said. Developers are just people following orders from above. The guys upstairs only care about sales. How fast can they get the game out and how many copies can they sell.

How is it odd? Graphics cards are the main thing generating frames to the display, and they also have a lot of work to do. No other hardware gets updated drivers because they don't NEED to. NVIDIA is just on top of it when there's a new game released and I would imagine that NVIDIA gets to look at at least some of the code of the games they release updates for. Personally, I am not seeing the issue.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

That's AAA developers.

:lol:  No, not in my experience. Little guys get it way worse.

Aren't indies usually their own boss? xD

"indie" is a subjective term. Developer I worked for wasn't small and wasn't huge. We even published our games. But we also had customers pounding on the door for two reasons. "why isn't the content out yet" and "why are there issues"