How do I ground my self on my power supply?

JTB77

Do I just touch it, or does it have to be plugged in?

I always hear people saying that, I am building my first pc and I need don't have/wont get antistatic wrist straps.

I am going to be standing on hardwood floor, and working on a kitchen countertop so that shouldn't be to much of an issue.

Thanks!

CPU - Intel I3-6100 Motherboard - MSI Z170-A PRO RAM G.SKILL NT Series 8gb 2400MZ DDR4 GPU - Power Color R9 380X Case - NZXT Source 220 Window Storage - 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU - Corsair CX500 OS - Windows 10 Pro

Plugged into a grounded outlet, with the power switch turned off. You need to touch an unpainted surface, like the fan grill

just touch your pc case every once in a while. a metal part on the case

1010011010/29A

People seem paranoid over ESD, it is no-where near the problem it once was.

I would say that you DON'T want to be grounded anyway rather you want to equalise the potential differences (voltages).

Do not sweat it, what you are doing seems fine just remember to touch an unpainted part of your case periodically whilst unwrapping components; you will have a hard job NOT touching the case almost continuosly whilst assembling the system.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

People seem paranoid over ESD, it is no-where near the problem it once was.

The surrounding humidity affects how much static electricity is generated, so depending on the area, it could be a massive problem.

Moved to General Discussion.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Do I just touch it, or does it have to be plugged in?

I always hear people saying that, I am building my first pc and I need don't have/wont get antistatic wrist straps.

I am going to be standing on hardwood floor, and working on a kitchen countertop so that shouldn't be to much of an issue.

Thanks!

Just touch something metal, you'll be fine. I've not killed anything with static over the last 6-7 years.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

PSU has to be plugged in (should just leave it plugged in) and you want to have the motherboard power 24 pin connector plugged in to ground the entire case (through the standoffs).  Touch an *unpainted* metal surface then and you'll be grounded.  If the metal is black then it isn't unpainted!

If you want to be safe: static strap, Hyflex 11-101 antistatic gloves, and a grounded work mat (3M sells these).

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

The surrounding humidity affects how much static electricity is generated,

It can be considered like that but it does not.  In actuality what happens is the same amount of charge is built up but humid air conducts better than dry air so it allows the charge to dissipate into the atmosphere not allowing a big difference in the voltages. So the effect is that there are not so many/such powerful catastrophic(in the instantaneous meaning not the amount of damage caused) discharges.

"This too shall pass"

It can be considered like that but it does not.  In actuality what happens is the same amount of charge is built up but humid air conducts better than dry air so it allows the charge to dissipate into the atmosphere not allowing a big difference in the voltages. So the effect is that there are not so many/such powerful catastrophic(in the instantaneous meaning not the amount of damage caused) discharges.

Yes, but lack of humidity is a big issue when it comes to electronics. Grounding is much more important in that situation.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Grounding is much more important in that situation.

I am anti-grounding.  I do not want to be at zero volts (or ground voltage) relative to everything near me I'd rather equalise( be at their voltage whether this is zero volts or  1 million volts(<slight hyperbole there)) less chance of a difference in voltage causing a catastrophic discharge.  Still with all the anti ESD measures built in to modern components, and in built/semi-built systems it is all moot anyway.  Just don't do anything silly, like strokeing the cat whilst building, and you will be fine.

"This too shall pass"

I just touch the Heater. Works since my first build ages ago.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

You won't really damage the motherboard with static, especially nowadays with static protection on 99.9999% of mobos. I even saw a test where they electrocuted a mobo (youtube channel DIY Tryin) and it took like 3 shots for the mobo to give out.

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

In 20 years I've never taken any more precaution than giving the case or psu a quick touch and I've never had a problem.  Even when I was a young teenager and didn't even know ESD was a potential issue  :D

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

I am anti-grounding. I do not want to be at zero volts (or ground voltage) relative to everything near me I'd rather equalise( be at their voltage whether this is zero volts or 1 million volts(<slight hyperbole there)) less chance of a difference in voltage causing a catastrophic discharge. Still with all the anti ESD measures built in to modern components, and in built/semi-built systems it is all moot anyway. Just don't do anything silly, like strokeing the cat whilst building, and you will be fine.

This guy gets it. "Grounding" is irrelevant, you just need to be at the same potential as your parts. The PSU doesn't have to be plugged into the wall or anything else. Just touch the case/antistatic bag with your component in it first.

The surrounding humidity affects how much static electricity is generated, so depending on the area, it could be a massive problem.

Moved to General Discussion.

Exactly this. I had no problems with static before I moved to new apartment. Now I get zapped everytime I touch my mouse, headphones cable, case, table leg.. It is annoying.

in needs to be plugged in and turned on then you just touch the outside. because it will connect to the ground plug in the outlet. honestly just touch the PSU every few minutes and you'll be more than safe. i've been doing that for years:)

in needs to be plugged in and turned on then you just touch the outside. because it will connect to the ground plug in the outlet. honestly just touch the PSU every few minutes and you'll be more than safe. i've been doing that for years:)

Even if you're going to say it has to be plugged in (which it doesn't) it does not have to be turned on. The ground is always connected.