hajsveen

Im planning a build  with the R9 380X. It is a iMac replica.

The iMac has a R9 395X and the display is 5K, but the R9 380X has a max resoluton of 2560x1600.

Would it still drive a 5K monitor? Or is it an Apple thing.

NEEVS

It's an apple thing they use two custom Display Port interposers internally, even if you install Windows on that Mac it won't run at 5k

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

It's an apple thing they use two Display Ports internally, even if you install Windows on that Mac it won't run at 60Hz

So a 5k display is useless?

NEEVS

Looking at XFX's site, 4k is the maximum. Also, there's only 1 5K monitor out there and it's stupidly expensive

TLDR; Get 4k please

It's an apple thing they use two Display Ports internally, even if you install Windows on that Mac it won't run at 60Hz

~snip~

There is also the 5k Dell monitor. They are super expensive and really not worth the price. Best panels are 27 inch, 2560x1440 ones, IMO.

Looking at XFX's site, 4k is the maximum. Also, there's only 1 5K monitor out there and it's stupidly expensive

TLDR; Get 4k please

I found 3 diffrent monitors. Dell, Phillips and HP

NEEVS

still not worth it

I dont care if its worth it or not. I was wondering if the GPU could run the monitor.

NEEVS

I dont care if its worth it or not. I was wondering if the GPU could run the monitor.

ofc it would, for daily usage

Those displays are probably milti-tiled using more than one Display Port output from the GPU

so you will be able to run it just fine

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

If it has 2x DisplayPort. Then yes, you will be able to drive the monitors at 5k native resolution. But keep in mind that you really won't be able to do anything apart from normal work, and maybe movies and such.

There is also the 5k Dell monitor. They are super expensive and really not worth the price. Best panels are 27 inch, 2560x1440 ones, IMO.

So it can work?

NEEVS

ofc it would, for daily usage

OK, but the 380X have only one displayport output. Would HDMI>DP adapters work?

NEEVS

Well I don't really see the point in getting 5k, when you can't play at 5k and 5k screens are not cheap at all

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

No, that would not work. You need two native DisplayPort outputs.

Displayport adapter/splitter?

NEEVS

Displayport adapter/splitter?

You will need two DisplayPort to DisplayPort cords. You are unable to use adapters, splitters, or anything the like. You can not use HDMI to DisplayPort, DVI to DisplayPort, or anything the like. It is a requirement that the graphics card has at least two DisplayPort outputs.

Here is a quote taken from the manual of Dell's 5k monitor.

Graphics card requirement:

With two DP ports that are compliant to DP1.2 support
HBR2, DisplayID 1.3, supporting Tile Display feature

You will need two DisplayPort to DisplayPort cords. You are unable to use adapters, splitters, or anything the like. You can not use HDMI to DisplayPort, DVI to DisplayPort, or anything the like. It is a requirement that the graphics card has at least two DisplayPort outputs.

Here is a quote taken from the manual of Dell's 5k monitor.

So its impossible?

NEEVS

So its impossible?

You will be able to run 4k on a single DisplayPort, but not the 5k resolution. So yes, it's not possible.

You will be able to run 4k on a single DisplayPort, but not the 5k resolution. So yes, it's not possible.

:( shit

NEEVS

Thunderbolt/ Displayport expansion card?

NEEVS

Thunderbolt/ Displayport expansion card?

Dude, I think they're trying to tell you that to run 5K the GPU needs to have 2 DP outputs.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Dude, I think they're trying to tell you that to run 5K the GPU needs to have 2 DP outputs.

KK. I'll try a new plan then

NEEVS