Rise of The Tomb Raider PC Performance reviewed - Another Bad port?

Mr_Troll

i can happily report that AMD Crossfire is NOT working correctly with Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I have no idea if it is forced, or if it simply uses the old games profile. But Riva-Tuner, aka MSI Afterburner, reports both GPUs being put under load.

it works, but it will not put actual heavy load on GPU2, it simply sits there doing something. But not a whole lot important.

Albeit, at 1080p, my GPUs have not gone past 62% usage even once....

Isn't crossfire something that has to be manually added by AMD with a driver profile?

I'm waiting for AMD to releases a new driver before I get the game. If not, Going to Green team. I've had enough of AMD taking the piss with their drivers. Releasing them late

I've had very good experience with AMD driver performance.

But maybe that's because I don't play AAA games on day one.

enjoy the Green Team drivers.

They may have Game Ready drivers for you. And game breaking driver bugs too. Dunno what happened to Nvidia around May 2015. But their drivers has been extremely wonky ever since. Every other driver has a major fatal error.

In Contrast, team Red has gotten increasingly better with their drivers. Sure, they're releasing them slowly, but every driver has been stable, and of very good quality

Well, the only reason why I would thing they would take longer, is because the actually take time in making better drivers. LOL. I might just replace my 7950 for an R9 390.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Isn't crossfire something that has to be manually added by AMD with a driver profile?

mostly yes, SLI and CF requires manual tuned drivers. BUT, that doesnt mean you always need to specific game profile.

some games have very similar graphics pipelines, and as such you can use other games CF profiles without issues. Its a bit of a shot in the dark to find the right profile.

In this case, using TR2013 reboot profile can possibly work.

Well, the only reason why I would thing they would take longer, is because the actually take time in making better drivers. LOL. I might just replace my 7950 for an R9 390.

you know 14nm AMD Polaris and Nvidia Pascal is coming out in a few months.

I would hang onto the 7950 for now.

I've had very good experience with AMD driver performance.

But maybe that's because I don't play AAA games on day one.

That's what I'm waiting for Drivers. Hopefully the drivers are not as bad as Nvidia. Also, I want replace my 7950 for an R9 390. Hopefully soon, or wait for pascal.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Get a Fury

it costs a lot, but it is SOOO worth it... That thing, especially the NITRO OC, is damned fast... It also has MUCH better tesselation performance, and seeing as every damn Nvidia game has tesselation spam... well... its worth the investment.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100379ntocsr

Also, if Nvidia isnt supporting HDR (aka 10bit color). DONT buy Nvidia for next gen GPUs..

get AMD. Why? Because 10bit colors mean any picture (if you have a 10bit monitor) with an AMD card will look richer then with a 8bit Nvidia card. It is that simple. The image itself will look better regardless of settings. Colors and contrasts will be richer by a massive degree.

I hope Nvidia will support it, but there is no word on it yet...

Get a Fury

it costs a lot, but it is SOOO worth it... That thing, especially the NITRO OC, is damned fast... It also has MUCH better tesselation performance, and seeing as every damn Nvidia game has tesselation spam... well... its worth the investment.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100379ntocsr

I don't have the money for that :( :( . I'll wait til Pascal and Polaris. 

Yes... Because that's what AMD is known for... Good drivers...

Yes... Because that's what AMD is known for... Good drivers...

Well their Chrimson drivers have been good. I've never had an issue with them. The only problem I'm having with AMD, is the time they take to release the drivers. 

For all you GTX970 users. i can happily report that Rise of the Tomb Raider uses 3966MB of VRAM at MAX settings.

This is at 1080p.

At Very High Settings the game use all bits of VRAM, in HardwareUnboxed video it show the game used 6GB@1080p max. 

I'm surprised the i3 choked on the game.

Tomb Raider 2013 was not a CPU heavy game. All kinds of CPUs used to perform the same because it was completely GPU bottlenecked.

Probably caused by those dynamic foliage.   :ph34r:

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Probably caused by those dynamic foliage.   :ph34r:

LOL, is that a new gameworks thing?

Just crawl back under that rock you came out of

The salt is real.

I'm not on either side... AMD is just specifically known for having worse drivers, making your statement seem kinda dumb.

Well their Chrimson drivers have been good. I've never had an issue with them. The only problem I'm having with AMD, is the time they take to release the drivers. 

Aren't those the new drivers that were locking fan speeds at 20% and frying people's GPUs?

Aren't those the new drivers that were locking fan speeds at 20% and frying people's GPUs?

Idk, I've got a 7950. So That hasn't happened to me.

The salt is real.

I'm not on either side... AMD is just specifically known for having worse drivers, making your statement seem kinda dumb.

who gives a smoking pile of shit about the past.

We live in the present. And in current day, Nvidias drivers are increasingly more buggy, whilst AMDs drivers has been increasingly more stable and polished.

What hasnt changed is that Nvidia spits out drivers faster then Wall-street brokers make money, whilst AMD still takes their sweet time.

that bug was fixed within 28 hours of being discovered.

the bug was discovered a few hours after driver release.

28 hours isnt bad, considering the bug was found on  a saturday, and by monday morning (GMT+1), the bug was patched

I know you're trying hard to stir the pot dude but this is a peaceful thread, and people already know your statement is not true so why bother?

That's the old one buddy

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I know you're trying hard to stir the pot dude but this is a peaceful thread, and people already know your statement is not true so why bother?

I'm really not. The guy was just saying that AMD takes longer because they make better drivers, which is far from accurate.

thats the old old old old one...

been 3-4 driver updates since that happened...

Woah. 3-4 driver updates ago? That's like.. The beginnings of AMD. That makes it OK.

I'm just saying don't make absurd claims like AMD takes longer because they make better drivers.

It's also absurd that you make one negative comment about one of the companies, and everyone assumes that you're a fanboy of the other and out to get that company. Am I not allowed to just be a neutral consumer that is concerned about QC at AMD because a few months ago they were melting GPUs with a "stable" driver release?

I'm really not. The guy was just saying that AMD takes longer because they make better drivers, which is far from accurate.

Go find all major critical bugs or issues affecting AMD drivers since May 2015

Go find all major critical bugs or issues affecting Nvidia drivers since May 2015

count them

post result

????

profit

I am not talking simple game bugs. I am talking about bugs that makes even everyday use an issue.

The only thing I can say for sure is that the majority of AMD customers in general are quite happy with the driver situation and how things are going on the software front. This wasn't the case six years ago so that's an area they have done well.

With regard to Nvidia vs AMD people give different opinions on this based on their personal experience.

In my experience AMD has given me the best windows experience, and Nvidia has the best Linux experience. But i'm just one dude so that's not worth much.

You do get more people complaining online about Nvidia driver issues, but that's probably at least partly because there are more Nvidia users out there. This cannot be settled unless somebody does a scientific study with proper samples about customer satisfaction on driver quality. And even then the results will vary greatly from one release to release.

So I think it's kinda a meaningless never-ending vs debate. It seems like both companies piss off some of their customers while keeping the majority happy. i.e. neither of them are perfect but both seem pretty good